Browns restructure Watson, to free up $36 million. How do you restructure a fully guaranteed deal?

buffaloboyinATL

48 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I wonder why the Bills are waiting to do Allen’s restructure? Could it be a restructure/extension?

No way.  Beane does this every year.  He only restructures when he needs to and it's always close to the last minute.

Beane is not going to restructure a bunch of contracts and have a lot of space on the books, then go shopping.

Beane restructures as he signs players.

3 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

No way.  Beane does this every year.  He only restructures when he needs to and it's always close to the last minute.

Beane is not going to restructure a bunch of contracts and have a lot of space on the books, then go shopping.

Beane restructures as he signs players.

He’s going to restructure Allen’s contract.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Never know! I would be trying to add years on to his deal if I were Beane.

I would be shocked.  His contract is perfectly set up for some sort of change in 2025 (the peak of his current contract cap hit).

Technically, this is the 1st year of his 6-year contract extension.  I give an extension a 1% chance of happening.

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Seriously? How do you re-structure a fully guaranteed contract without adding years to the deal?  The article says they converted salary into a signing bonus, but if it was already fully guaranteed, why would that matter? I want them to choke on that contract, so I hate seeing that there are loopholes available to them.  Anyone get how this works?

https://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-browns-restructure-watson-134639003.html

I wonder what happens if he goes Hernandez to his cap hit?

4 hours ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

Seriously? How do you re-structure a fully guaranteed contract without adding years to the deal?  The article says they converted salary into a signing bonus, but if it was already fully guaranteed, why would that matter? I want them to choke on that contract, so I hate seeing that there are loopholes available to them.  Anyone get how this works?

https://news.yahoo.com/ap-source-browns-restructure-watson-134639003.html

salary counts fully in its year

Signing bonus amortizes over the remaining years (up to 5)

The bar napkin would be swapping a 10m hit into 5 2m hits, for example.

team gets flexibility and the player gets money today instead of during the season. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.