Why Can't Ralph Wilson Get a Partner?

joesz

Rather than leave things to chance, why couldn't Ralph Wilson take on a partner? The partner could be an individual or a consortium, and they could have a minority interest with an option to purchase Wilson's interest in the future. This way Ralph could still be the majority owner and still find a person or group who would be interested in keeping the Bills in Buffalo. And I would think this would be advantageous for his estate, because the payment Ralph would receive for the partner's interest could be treated as capital gains, at much lower tax rate than the estate.

However, I'm not sure it could be Golisano, either now or in the future. Golisano cannot purchase into the Bills because he owns the Buffalo Sabres, violating the NFL's rule of franchise ownership in other sports teams.

Rather than leave things to chance, why couldn't Ralph Wilson take on a partner? The partner could be an individual or a consortium, and they could have a minority interest with an option to purchase Wilson's interest in the future. This way Ralph could still be the majority owner and still find a person or group who would be interested in keeping the Bills in Buffalo. And I would think this would be advantageous for his estate, because the payment Ralph would receive for the partner's interest could be treated as capital gains, at much lower tax rate than the estate.

However, I'm not sure it could be Golisano, either now or in the future. Golisano cannot purchase into the Bills because he owns the Buffalo Sabres, violating the NFL's rule of franchise ownership in other sports teams.

344756[/snapback]

Last I checked Ralph already had a wife.

This actually is only meant in part as a joke, because it would not surprise me if the concept of his taking on a real business partner to run HIS NFL team is the same thing as taking on a spouse as a partner.

Either the new partber is a true partner and this means RWS sharing decision-making with the partner owners and making joint decisions about items such as who to hire, scheduling meetings with TD and staff, uniform colors, etc.

In other words simply a royal pain in the butt if you are the sole owner as Ralph is and what you say goes and people bow and fetch as the natural act rather than trying to gameplan asking Dad (RWS) but if he says no is there a way i can pretend not to have heard him and then run get permission from Mom (the partner) to do what I want to do.

RWS could easily only sell 10% or 20% of the team to a junior partner whose job it is to be rarely seen and never heard, However, this is not Tom Golisano's or most rich guys style. Even if their investment of 20% of the value of the team to buy their stake is clearly for them to be the junior partner. They are unlikely to want to lat out $50-100 dollars to have zero control over how it gets spent in exchange for having an inside track in the futuire.

RWS seems unlikely to successfully take on a partner because sharing is a tough thing to do in this world.

I'm hoping that he has already had talks with The Jacobs or Rich family. Maybe even has a handshake deal in place. The Jacobs are the people that I think will ultimately own the team. They own the Bruins and Delaware North is in the sports concession business. Plus Jeremy Jacobs already tried to buy an NFL team once, so we know he is interested.

344756[/snapback]

Didn't Wayne Huizinga own the Florida Panthers, Florida Marlins and Miami Dolphins, all at the same time, not too long ago?

Either way, I like the idea as well (of Wilson having a partner, to remain silent, until life, or his wishes require it otherwise). Golisano is pretty wealthy from what I understand, much more so than Mr Wilson. If he is concerned about leaving his estate in good shape for his family, and concerned about keeping the team in WNY, it seems a logical step....

I'm not 100% certain but I think the rule forbids ownership outside of the market of the NFL team in question.

344761[/snapback]

I'm hoping that he has already had  talks with The Jacobs or Rich family. Maybe even has a handshake deal in place.  The Jacobs are the people that I think will ultimately own the team. They own the Bruins and Delaware North is in the sports concession business. Plus Jeremy Jacobs already tried to buy an NFL team once, so we know he is interested.

344781[/snapback]

NFL rules state that an owner cannot own a team in another pro sport if that team is out of the market...so jacobs is out because he owns the bruins...but golisano is ok, because he owns the sabres...