Going vegan?

dancing_joker

25 minutes ago, dancing_joker said:

I already answered why I’m doing this. Again, I’m not here to debate the merits of the vegan lifestyle. While running marathons is ridiculously hard and takes a huge mental effort to get through, ask your marathon runner friend what his toenails look like after running 26.2 miles. Running marathons is not a life I personally want to live. But if he’s happy with himself, then who am I to judge him? Whatever path he takes to happiness is his choice. 

I asked earlier about the negative perception from family and friends because it’s real. Look how many people here want to throw shade at my choice, and my life is completely irrelevant to yours. Now imagine if I was your cousin, friend or even your spouse? 

Sorry if I threw shade... Both sides there are drawbacks. I find it disingenuous to say people do this for health. Highly processed foods aren't any healthier.  It's just not any healthier and virtuous than other lifestyles. Everything is balance. 

Just be thankful we live during marvelous times, era where this is possible and we have the technology to accomplish it!

We are all equal in what we chose. There's things I agree with, other's I don't. 

Can we ever eliminate animals serving humans? I tend to think we can't.  For me it's about resources and the ease we attain those resources. As the years go on, technology gets better we can do away with some of the abuses.

For now... I will strive for halal. 😉 

• Like (+1) 1

Not vegan or vegetarian, just getting older.  I’ve found that as I age my diet changes.  I eat more vegetables, less meat, alcohol and baked treats in moderation.  Almost no processed stuff (but I buy Sahlen’s every time I’m in Buffalo), I make most everything from scratch.  STAY ACTIVE, figure out what makes you feel better and stick with it…

25 minutes ago, f0neguy said:

Not vegan or vegetarian, just getting older.  I’ve found that as I age my diet changes.  I eat more vegetables, less meat, alcohol and baked treats in moderation.  Almost no processed stuff (but I buy Sahlen’s every time I’m in Buffalo), I make most everything from scratch.  STAY ACTIVE, figure out what makes you feel better and stick with it…

That’s all positive. Stick with it. I totally understand the vegan lifestyle isn’t for everyone. But I’m interested where this choice leads me, and I’ll try to update this thread as I go.

I used to love a good Ted’s hot dog (and a fried bologni), but Dan Aykroyd was 100% correct when he called them “lips and a**holes”.

In my family represents one of each hence I can confirm what @Augie said in regards to peoples preferences as "vegan" . Niece is ardently vegan and won't wear leather. DIL is fashionista and wears great shoes made of leather when we are more dressed up.

purely anecdotal. 😊 m

18 hours ago, Wacka said:

Forgot how long ago, but someone on here decided to just eat lentils.  Didn't last that long. Don't know if it is still in the archives.

18 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Spoiler: he stopped about one month in.

Edited by LeviF
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeviF said:

Spoiler: he stopped about one month in.

I won’t be eating lentils exclusively, so this won’t be an issue. 

Brad Riter once did a challenge where he asked people to eat only one specific food for an entire week. You could pick anything you wanted…hot dogs…cereal…doesn’t matter. People couldn’t last more than a couple days haha

I would think one of he big challenges would be get togethers with friends and family that are not vegan. As previously stated, so many people are vegan today that there are usually some options of you're dining out, but if you're at a family dinner you have to rely on someone cooking vegan or bringing your own food. My mother in law surprisingly went vegan and I try as best I can to accommodate but usually the best I can do a vegetarian - I just don't have vegan ingredients in my house when I cook (dairy, egg substitutes, etc.). Luckily my MIL is cool with that - I think being flexible is key. People who are militant vegans and expect everyone to bend over backwards for them and subscribe to their philosophy on the subject give veganism a bad name - if you're cool about it I'm cool about it - to each their own.   

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.