Public Dissatisfied With Government

A new poll came out yesterday. Its results can be seen at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7899754/

I'm going to take parts of this article and comment on it, so please read the original post for the full story.

As the Senate marches closer toward a nuclear showdown over President Bush’s judicial nominees, the latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll finds that the American public is dissatisfied — with Congress and its priorities, with Bush’s plan to overhaul Social Security and  with the nation’s economy and general direction. Moreover, a majority believes that the Senate should make its own decision about the president’s judicial nominees, rather than just generally confirming them.

I think this is pretty much expected to be honest. Bush just isn't strong in domestic policy, and needs a distraction from his social security plan, Bolton, and the justices.

I have to believe with the majority that think the Senate should make their own opinion. I don't blame the Dems for trying to stall votes on candidates they really, really think would be bad for America. If there was a vote, I also don't believe that it would be objective.

And while all of this might suggest bad news for Republicans, since the political party in charge often gets blamed when things aren’t going well, the survey also indicates that the public isn’t quite embracing the Democrats either. “It is just a sense of unhappiness with where we’re at,” said Democratic pollster Peter D. Hart, who conducted this survey with Republican pollster Bill McInturff.

lol @ Mr. hart. Of course they aren't embracing the Dems, the Dems need to get out their ass and make counter-proposals instead of just saying "REPUBLICANS ARE EVIL! REPUBLICANS ARE EVIL!"

Overall, according to the NBC/Journal poll, 52 percent believe the nation is headed in the wrong direction, while 35 percent think it’s on the right track.

Pretty bad, but as long as a majority of the country doesn't see the Dems as an alternative solution it'll stay the way it is now.

A new poll came out yesterday.  Its results can be seen at http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7899754/

I'm going to take parts of this article and comment on it, so please read the original post for the full story.

I think this is pretty much expected to be honest.  Bush just isn't strong in domestic policy, and needs a distraction from his social security plan, Bolton, and the justices.

I have to believe with the majority that think the Senate should make their own opinion. I don't blame the Dems for trying to stall votes on candidates they really, really think would be bad for America.  If there was a vote, I also don't believe that it would be objective.

lol @ Mr. hart.  Of course they aren't embracing the Dems, the Dems need to get out their ass and make counter-proposals instead of just saying "REPUBLICANS ARE EVIL! REPUBLICANS ARE EVIL!"

Pretty bad, but as long as a majority of the country doesn't see the Dems as an alternative solution it'll stay the way it is now.

341624[/snapback]

So, in other words, what happened last November wasn't so much a mandate for Karl Rove and his cronnies, as it was a resounding "NO" to John Kerry! I can live with that...there is still hope!

So, in other words, what happened last November wasn't so much a mandate for Karl Rove and his cronnies, as it was a resounding "NO" to John Kerry!  I can live with that...there is still hope!

342196[/snapback]

Not as long as you actually think the Democrats are any different than the Republicans.

Not as long as you actually think the Democrats are any different than the Republicans.

342211[/snapback]

I realize that the two parties are blurring all of the time, but there are certain social issues that still divide the two parties, as they are now...nothing has happened post election that makes me feel even slightly more comfortable about the future of this country, with GW in office...he has not pleasently surprised me on any one single issue, and apparently, there are a large number feeling the same way. He is a man of great vision, who can't see beyond his own nose. Laura is doing better in the polls than him right now, I suspect we will keep seeing her grill everywhere, until some positive news about the "sprinkling of liberty" (like it is fairie dust!) can be fabricated...

Laura is doing better in the polls than him right now, I suspect we will keep seeing her grill everywhere, until some positive news about the "sprinkling of liberty" (like it is fairie dust!) can be fabricated...

342223[/snapback]

Of course she's doing better in the polls (which I hate). Her job approval is high because her 'job' is easy. Just be classy and act as a goodwill ambassator for our country.

If you're a person who actually has class (which I think she does) you'll excel at that job.

If you're the President, it doesn't matter what you do because 40% of the country will hate it anyway.

And that's considering most of the country is completely ignorant because they rely solely on the 'mainstream' media to get their news, which obviously sucks.

When the news isn't happy, then I AM happy- our media sucks. Anything they dont like has to be good- it is filled with terrible people who do would sell their parents souls to get a story

but there are certain social issues that still divide the two parties

342223[/snapback]

You have the need to murder alot of fetus'?

Give me a break. Left to their own devices both of these parties will rip individual liberty to shreds. But we can keep pretending if it makes YOU feel better. :doh:

Give me a break.  Left to their own devices both of these parties will rip individual liberty to shreds.  But we can keep pretending if it makes YOU feel better.  :doh:

342323[/snapback]

Question: If you were ABSOLUTELY FORCED to take a position on which party has a worse record wrt individual freedom, which one would you choose?

Just curious. :D

Question: If you were ABSOLUTELY FORCED to take a position on which party has a worse record wrt individual freedom, which one would you choose?

Just curious.  :D

342331[/snapback]

The Democrats. Although I'm not even remotely a fan of the Republicans either, at least they don't make up silly bull sh-- rules like the one that dictates I can no longer refer to my "master" and "slave" hard drives as such because it's racist... :doh:

Give me a break.  Left to their own devices both of these parties will rip individual liberty to shreds.  But we can keep pretending if it makes YOU feel better.  :doh:

342323[/snapback]

Leave it to you to "flightsuit" the issue! I am referring to things that go far beyond abortion...

And that's considering most of the country is completely ignorant because they rely solely on the 'mainstream' media to get their news, which obviously sucks.

342236[/snapback]

Just curious, where would you suggest people get their news from?

Leave it to you to "flightsuit" the issue!  I am referring to things that go far beyond abortion...

342475[/snapback]

Well gee, thanks for clearing that up with nothing. Feel free to "expound" on all the great freedoms the Democrats champion. I'm patiently waiting.

Well gee, thanks for clearing that up with nothing.  Feel free to "expound" on all the great freedoms the Democrats champion.  I'm patiently waiting.

342517[/snapback]

If I need to explain to you the all of the social issues where the Democratic and Rpublican parties differ, as they are made up right now, you are nowhere near as bright as I thought you were...to cull it all down to the issue of abortion is kind of childish, but acceptable here...I am sure any attempt "expound" would only be met with snappy one liners from you, as is your preference. Don't hold your breath! :doh:

If I need to explain to you the all of the social issues where the Democratic and Rpublican parties differ, as they are made up right now, you are nowhere near as bright as I thought you were...to cull it all down to the issue of abortion is kind of childish, but acceptable here...I am sure any attempt "expound" would only be met with snappy one liners from you, as is your preference.  Don't hold your breath! :w00t:

342548[/snapback]

There are few social differences between the parties in practice - though they do try and delineate when they campaign. Both have raped the Constitution (especially where individual liberty is concerned) and will continue to do so because folks like you refuse to see them for what they are. The government is generally not a means - it's an end.

I wouldn't hold my breath because my expectation from anyone who identifies so readily with either of these parties is so low that I can't come up with an adequate metaphor to describe it.

Thanks for the standard "I don't really have an answer for my blather, so here's some more." I'll try and lower my expectations for you. I should know better than to ask for clarification. :lol:

342211[/snapback]

I agree with this 100%. Neither party appears particularly concerned with protecting the interests of America or the American people.

I'll admit to having a stronger feeling of revulsion towards Democrats, because they are more like communists than Republicans are. Communism is clearly the most evil ideology ever conceived by the human mind. But the modern version of the Republican Party appears to have stripped away everything good that once existed in the conservative movement--fiscal responsibility, a responsible immigration policy, and the environmental protections of Teddy Roosevelt--and has replaced them with naked corporate greed and the rape of this dying nation. The tidal wave of immigrants--legal and illegal--Bush has permitted is appalling. Corporations like immigrants because they drive down wages. That Bush has chosen to participate in this attack on the American worker shows he may be no better than many Democrats.

Replace "American" with "human".

343413[/snapback]

Good point.

Would it really be that awful to help along natural selection by culling those of lesser intellectual abilities?

:doh:

<note for sensitive, kind people>

Rhetorical question, please don't be offended. Or, you can be offended if you want, just don't share it with me. :w00t:

</note for sensitive, kind people>

<note for sensitive, kind people>

Rhetorical question, please don't be offended. Or, you can be offended if you want, just don't share it with me.  :w00t:

</note for sensitive, kind people>

343420[/snapback]

<further note for sensitive, kind people>

When JSP talks about culling humans via natural selection, he's most likely talking about you anyway.

</further note for sensitive, kind people>

:doh:

And it's all because the average American really is an idiot.

343408[/snapback]

They have a tough time grasping the concept that the questions are designed to give specific results. Change the wording of the question, and the results will change.

You have bias when writing the questions and you have bias when interpreting the results.

<further note for sensitive, kind people>

When JSP talks about culling humans via natural selection, he's most likely talking about you anyway.

</further note for sensitive, kind people>

:w00t:

343424[/snapback]

<note to the brainiac>

I was talking about culling them by means of "artificial" selection. :doh:

</note to the brainiac>

So, in other words, what happened last November wasn't so much a mandate for Karl Rove and his cronnies, as it was a resounding "NO" to John Kerry!  I can live with that...there is still hope!

342196[/snapback]

Pretty much, and I agree. I really hope a moderate republican (like a McCain) gets elected to president in 2008.

Or at least a sensible Democrat. While there might be a decent amount of sensible Democrats idea wise, I mean a sensible Democrat politically!

Pretty much, and I agree.  I really hope a moderate republican (like a McCain) gets elected to president in 2008.

Or at least a sensible Democrat.  While there might be a decent amount of sensible Democrats idea wise, I mean a sensible Democrat politically!

346111[/snapback]

I have no problem with the moderate Republican idea (although I am not sure how many of them will be left in 2008), but as someone who was always a big fan of John McCain, he really disappointed me a lot this past election.

It wasn't because he is a Republican and was backing a candidate that I could never support, but the manner in which he did it. It was the first time, in all the time I have been following McCain, where I felt he was "just another politician" talking out of both sides of his mouth. I would have voted for him any other time, but I now have serious doubts about his integrity. It was the one thing I always felt he had going for him, over any candidate, from any party. What the Bush campaign did to him in the 2000 Republican primaries was disgraceful. McCain, rightfully, took great offense to it. Then, he turned right around and supported Bush, and watched him do the same thing to Kerry. McCain didn't just give Bush a partisan endorsement, which would have been understandable (after all, in the end McCain is a good soldier) but he practically fellated the guy at every opportunity.

As someone with a family that has a long standing history with the military, the whole Bush (of all people) questioning McCains miltary record, and then using the same tact agaisnt Kerry is/was an all-time new low for politics in America. Kerry had plenty of other problems. Now, every time I see McCain, whether on Jay Leno, or the network news, I can't help but feel I am watching someone angling for his next job.

McCain isn't a moderate, he's a RINO. Always wants to compromise instead of doing what is right.

I'm dissatisified with the dems doing EVERYTHING for politics instead of what is right for the country. They lost power in the congres after having it for 40 years andwill do anything to get it back.

that poll failed to gauge one important factor

what percentage of the public is satisfied with their Hotpockets®

347399[/snapback]

HAM'N CHEESE! ding...PIZZA ROLL! ding...

Did you say something?

Hmmmm...Middle East policy press conference or American Idol?

...American Idol. (click)

Unfortunately I think you're right.

347495[/snapback]

Unfortunately? Why? It says in your profile that you're 20 or so, help me out here, why would McCain be a good candidate?

It says you were born in 1985, please tell me why, in your vast experence why McCain should be the nominee for the republican party in 08.

Did you say something?

347401[/snapback]

who'd want to watch a mid east policy press conference. that conflict over there is so depressing. i mean if you want conflict, take a look at whats happening to Jessica and Nick

DING, my Pepperoni Pizza HotPocket ® is done

Unfortunately? Why? It says in your profile that you're 20 or so, help me out here, why would McCain be a good candidate?

It says you were born in 1985, please tell me why, in your vast experence why McCain should be the nominee for the republican party in 08.

347555[/snapback]

You're profile says you were born in 1913. That would make you what, 92 years old? Shouldn't you be senile by now? :doh:

I think McCain would be a good candidate for the simple fact that I agree with him on a lot of the issues (more then any conservative Republican), he would have significant crossover appeal to independents and democrats, and the evangelicals sure as hell aint gonna vote for a Democrat.

Did you say something?

347401[/snapback]

I'd rather watch reruns of Nova on PBS, or a couple hours of the history channel than Un-American Idol....which is a VERY fitting name for people getting money they HAVENT earned!!

I'd rather watch reruns of Nova on PBS, or a couple hours of the history channel than Un-American Idol....which is a VERY fitting name for people getting money they HAVENT earned!!

347852[/snapback]

And well you should.

I'm of the school that if you don't learn your history, you are doomed to repeat it.