Sean McDermott = Best in the NFL on 4th Down Decisions

JohnNord

On 11/16/2022 at 6:53 PM, JohnNord said:

Not at all true - who do you think makes the call?  It’s not the analytics dept

He has the same 4th down data that other coaches do.  Some coaches simply refuse use the info for decisions.  Others consider it but default to arbitrary measures like “feel” or momentum.  I give him credit for embracing the philosophy.

On Sunday, I didn’t mind the call.  I probably would’ve kicked the FG but that only puts the team up for 2 scores and still leaves the door open for Minnesota to creep back.  A TD in that situation puts the game out of reach with a 3 score lead.  

Plus, even if the Bills fail on 4th, Minnesota has the ball on the 7 and still have to drive all the way downfield.  The problem was the execution - Josh throws and INT which gets returned to the 40 giving Minnesota a short field.  

JN, how dare you insert common sense and actually have something positive to say about McD, Beane, and the Bills?  Haven’t you learned from others on this board that if they don’t want to fire Beane, McD, and now even Murph, the announcer.  These trolls are over the top.

I appreciate you Nord for placing some common sense on this board.  McD for the other poster was most likely responsible for hiring the Bills analytics board and decides when to listen and not listen to analytics.  That’s called being a leader.

FWIW Nord, I would’ve kicked the FG too as yes it’s still a two score game going from 10 to 13 points, but it’s a two TD game, not a TD and a FG.  McD should’ve taken the points.  Sometimes you shouldn’t listen

to analytics when you have a QB who is great, but not taking in three games what the defense is giving him.  I think the guy who reached out to Jeremy on the morning show the other might be right, Dorsey has something to learn from Daboll in knowing when to call Josh down from himself.  I’m starting to appreciate that in what Daboll accomplished in how he managed Josh from Himself.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

JN, how dare you insert common sense and actually have something positive to say about McD, Beane, and the Bills?  Haven’t you learned from others on this board that if they don’t want to fire Beane, McD, and now even Murph, the announcer.  These trolls are over the top.

I appreciate you Nord for placing some common sense on this board.  McD for the other poster was most likely responsible for hiring the Bills analytics board and decides when to listen and not listen to analytics.  That’s called being a leader.

FWIW Nord, I would’ve kicked the FG too as yes it’s still a two score game going from 10 to 13 points, but it’s a two TD game, not a TD and a FG.  McD should’ve taken the points.  Sometimes you shouldn’t listen

to analytics when you have a QB who is great, but not taking in three games what the defense is giving him.  I think the guy who reached out to Jeremy on the morning show the other might be right, Dorsey has something to learn from Daboll in knowing when to call Josh down from himself.  I’m starting to appreciate that in what Daboll accomplished in how he managed Josh from Himself.

Don't be a hot dog. Take the points.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/16/2022 at 7:02 PM, KHAN said:

Glenn+Ford+pimp+slap.jpg

This photo drove me nuts.  I recognized Glenn ford as the actor and the actress I thought was Erin Gray (it is)  who I thought was too young to have acted with Ford.  Turns out it  was her first starring role before Buck Roger's and rest of her roles.

Edited by AuntieEm

On 11/16/2022 at 3:48 PM, Nextmanup said:

And very aggressive too.

That's not a McDermott thing, that's a Buffalo Bills Analytics Department thing.

McDermott has nothing to do with that stuff.

The coach makes the calls on the field based on all of their input from ALL sources. Your take is flat ridiculous! So we should never fault/praise McDermott for 4th down attempts then? Because it a Bills thing? How many other teams value analytics, yet aren’t calling as many 4th downs? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.