Cards release Shelton

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they're going to do it but I think it will be very interesting if the Bills are interested.

If KFFL reports it...its as close to being done as can be...

Cardinals | Shelton Released - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 18 May 2005 14:50:57 -0700

The Arizona Cardinals have announced the release of OT L.J. Shelton.

If KFFL reports it...its as close to being done as can be...

Cardinals | Shelton Released - from www.KFFL.com

Wed, 18 May 2005 14:50:57 -0700

The Arizona Cardinals have announced the release of OT L.J. Shelton.

339707[/snapback]

I know he will be released, I just meant it will be very interesting to see if the Bills make a play for him after they virtually badmouthed him in public, saying the coaches didn't want him. It could have just been a ploy. But like I said, I don't think they're going to go after him, but it is possible.

0:) and the cards thought it was "Fair Value" to trade shelton straight up for henry, now we can get him and than still try to trade henry to another team.

Not saying we will and not overestimating henry's value, but if Lamar Gordon can etch a 3rd rd pick, I wouldn't trade henry for anything less than that.

I knew Arizona would be stupid about the whole thing. They could have had TH for LJ and a swap of picks and instead they cut Shelton, take a cap hit and do not get TH. Their 3rd round pick they kept will probably not make the team either. Anyone wonder why the Cardinals have sucked since 1930?

0:)  and the cards thought it was "Fair Value" to trade shelton straight up for henry, now we can get him and than still try to trade henry to another team.

Not saying we will and not overestimating henry's value, but if Lamar Gordon can etch a 3rd rd pick, I wouldn't trade henry for anything less than that.

339714[/snapback]

And when TH is released or traded for a 6th rounder, what's the difference? Similar value in my mind.

I knew Arizona would be stupid about the whole thing. They could have had TH for LJ and a swap of picks and instead they cut Shelton, take a cap hit and do not get TH. Their 3rd round pick they kept will probably not make the team either. Anyone wonder why the Cardinals have sucked since 1930?

339715[/snapback]

0:):doh::lol:

I love the Cards...just because no matter how screwed up the Bills organization gets, we're not them. :P

And when TH is released or traded for a 6th rounder, what's the difference?  Similar value in my mind.

339718[/snapback]

I still say stick the whiny little dope on IR or the PUP for the year (too bad they don't have a mentally unable to perform list), pay out his contract, and really screw him over in free agency for not having played a down in a season and a half.

But then, I'm a vindictive little crap-throwing monkey... 0:)

I just hope the Bills docs actually evaluated Shelton as being able to play and were merely correctly lying to the public with any backstories badmouthing him (I don't think there are any public quotes by name with JMac or others saying he was done as a player but please correct me if I am wrong and there is a link to a public statement about Shelton from the Bills).

I think Gandy is a better prospect to play the back-up role which proved to be essential that Price played last year (given the usual nicks which cost MW a couple of games and Jennings a couple of starts and a couple of other games he was unable to finish).

I find it really hard to believe that Peters is such a phenomenal athlete that he will be able to be trusted to start this year at LT and guard JP's blindside.

I think Teague can adequately man the LT position using his mobility, heightened line smarts from playing C, being smart enough to know when to take a penalty for tackling an LT or yelling at JP to run or duck if a Jason Taylor beats him. However, this move would cause enough disruption on the OL as to set the chemistry back to square one.

My tendency is to believe the Bills and JMac when they have no seeming interest in Shelton as we were not willing to trade Henry for him. However, I hope to gosh they were simply lying to us and Shelton despite his athletic limitations (his failings blocking in space will mean he will need to take penalties or yell like Teague would likely have to do) is enough of a road grader that he is the LT we want leading the running game for WM. The word is that if Shelton can engage an opposing defender then that tackle is done on that play and WM will run right by him.

And when TH is released or traded for a 6th rounder, what's the difference?  Similar value in my mind.

339718[/snapback]

Eh, maybe I'm higher on Henry than most, but I don't think a rb who's proven himself in the league and has back to back seasons with over 1300+ yards and double digit td's should be traded for anything less than a 3rd rd pick. I'm not gonna believe lamar gordon was worth a 3rd rounder and henry isn't. If thats the case I'd rather hold onto travis and force his hand.

Worst case scenairo we have a disgruntled backup rb. Best case scenairo we have a rb who realizes all the crying in the world isn't gonna do him any favors and goes and produces in a backup role and we get one more quality year out of him, and get some type of compensation pick when he leaves after this season. It never hurts to have 2 quality rb's on your team.

What makes you think the Bills will release Travis, much less trade him for a 6th rounder? They'll at worst keep him even if he holds-out just to screw him over, and then wait for a comp pick in 2007. But methinks there will be a team to come a'callin' for his services.

I know he will be released, I just meant it will be very interesting to see if the Bills make a play for him after they virtually badmouthed him in public, saying the coaches didn't want him. It could have just been a ploy. But like I said, I don't think they're going to go after him, but it is possible.

339710[/snapback]

When did the coaches do that ? They just insisted on a 3rd round pick in April, instead of Shelton. They probably predicted he would be cut anyhow, since he didn't seem to be getting any real interest from any other team. Plus that 3 Mil salary.

Now they can consider him at a reduced rate, if they have an interest.

When did the coaches do that ? They just insisted on a 3rd round pick in April, instead of Shelton. They probably predicted he would be cut anyhow, since he didn't seem to be getting any real interest from any other team. Plus that 3 Mil salary.

Now they can consider him at a reduced rate, if they have an interest.

339729[/snapback]

Whether they look at him or not , we now know who blinked first in the travis for Shelton Drama. No way Travis gets cut so who has more value ???????????

Didn't they also release Anthony Clement earlier this offseason? Who are the Cards starting tackles now?

339717[/snapback]

LT - Leonard Davis, their 2001 #1 pick

RT - Oliver Ross, signed from Pittsburgh as a FA

That's according to Ourlad's, anyhow. (Note that the last update on that site was a couple of weeks ago, and still lists Shelton.)