Cards release Shelton

Why do people feel like Denny is eating crow. Look , they got the RB they wanted in the slot they would have traded to us. JJ will sign at least a four year deal, with Travis they have to deal with a new contract.

And sometimes one takes a risk that a rookie will be able to perform, ala JP.

340169[/snapback]

Denny IS eating crow because he spouted off saying LJ was worth more than a third rounder. Guess what, he just gave LJ away and will get nothingin return other than a hit on his salary cap.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cards could have got Henry and Arrington by making that trade with the swap. Kept Henry as the starter for 2005 while they slowly worked in Arrington, had a good back-up in case Henry went down or didnt work out, and could then dump Henry or re-sign him to a long term deal if he played well.

340634[/snapback]

Still can after we cut Henry. :)

The Cards got a running back, one who cost them a 2nd round pick and is WHOLLY unproven.  That's about all you can say right now.  I guess to some, potential is better than someone proven but not perfect.  We'll see who was right, but the Cards already released Shelton, and relying on a rookie RB is NEVER a good situation, while at worst Travis is a good backup for 6 games this year.

340631[/snapback]

Exactamundo

The Cards could have got Henry and Arrington by making that trade with the swap. Kept Henry as the starter for 2005 while they slowly worked in Arrington, had a good back-up in case Henry went down or didnt work out, and could then dump Henry or re-sign him to a long term deal if he played well.

340634[/snapback]

The Cards are clearly aiming for the future and not 2005 to make their team real. If they had waited until June 1st to cut Shelton they would have distributed his accelerated cap hit over this year and future yeats. However, they chose to take the total hit this year and have more room next year and thus seem to be putting this year clearly into the rebuilding mode.

Arrington as the 4th RN taken in the draft and a big drop-off from the prospects the experts judge the first 3 to have will be doing quite well and better than most to be up to be the starting RB as a rookie. Even if he has the same rookie year success that Henry had (rougly 700+ yards from this 2nd rd pick or Julius Jones had in Dallas last year (800+ yards from this 2nd rd pick) it will be a long year at RB for the Cards.

I agree with the opinion Green seemed to have that they had better potential from getting Henrt who has produced 1300 yds plus in 2 of his 4 NFL seasons. i think he lost out on this deal and will now have it work out for him only if he gets lucky.

Shelton isn't getting anywhere NEAR $3M a year, even with signing bonus factored-in.  But I also doubt he signs more than a 2-year deal with a team.

339775[/snapback]

If Shelton, a LT, was any good, he would be commanding Jennings money. These guys are paid millions, and are hard to find.

I salute TD for not trading for him, and Badolbilz for apparently being correct while calling Shelton "a sub-par LT with a chronic ankle injury."

The Cards are clearly aiming for the future and not 2005 to make their team real. If they had waited until June 1st to cut Shelton they would have distributed his accelerated cap hit over this year and future yeats. However, they chose to take the total hit this year and have more room next year and thus seem to be putting this year clearly into the rebuilding mode.

Arrington as the 4th RN taken in the draft and a big drop-off from the prospects the experts judge the first 3 to have will be doing quite well and better than most to be up to be the starting RB as a rookie.  Even if he has the same rookie year success that Henry had (rougly 700+ yards from this 2nd rd pick or Julius Jones had in Dallas last year (800+ yards from this 2nd rd pick) it will be a long year at RB for the Cards.

I agree with the opinion Green seemed to have that they had better potential from getting Henrt who has produced 1300 yds plus in 2 of his 4 NFL seasons.  i think he lost out on this deal and will now have it work out for him only if he gets lucky.

340831[/snapback]

>>>>The Cards are clearly aiming for the future and not 2005 to make their team real. If they had waited until June 1st to cut Shelton they would have distributed his accelerated cap hit over this year and future yeats. However, they chose to take the total hit this year and have more room next year and thus seem to be putting this year clearly into the rebuilding mode.<<<<

Would you say the same about the Bills? TD could have cut Drew after 6/1 as well and had more cap space to spend on ufas in 05.

Personally, I prefer the TD method of cutting players early and not entering the following season with tons of dead money.

>>>>The Cards are clearly aiming for the future and not 2005 to make their team real. If they had waited until June 1st to cut Shelton they would have distributed his accelerated cap hit over this year and future yeats. However, they chose to take the total hit this year and have more room next year and thus seem to be putting this year clearly into the rebuilding mode.<<<<

Would you say the same about the Bills? TD could have cut Drew after 6/1 as well and had more cap space to spend on ufas in 05.

Personally, I prefer the TD method of cutting players early and not entering the following season with tons of dead money.

341089[/snapback]

The big difference I see between the Bledsoe and Shelton cases and specifically the handling by Dennis Green and TD is that Bledsoe was cut in the winter and given the maximum time to get an early deal (and certainly one before the draft) and Shelton got cut 2 weeks before a redistribution would occur.

One cannot say what the true motivation in a person's heart was. Both did make the cut taking the hit now rather than distributing it over two years and there may well be significance to this.

However, TD did it in a way that ended up working out well for Bledsoe and players will not forget that. Green did it in a way that may be justifiable in terms of giving the Cards the maximum amount of time to get some any trade for Shelton, but the move makes it harder for Shelton to get much in a deal from someone and players making choices about where to go in the future will remember that as well.

The good thing for Bills fansin trying to dope out the meaning of the timing of the Bledsoe cut is that the Bills are near the norm in the NFL for total deadspace even with the Bledsoe cut and are not hard up against the cap and have room to create cap space by restructuring deals like MWs if need be so I think there is little reason to diagnose the the timing of the Bledsoe cut as putting off going for it this year.