Value of Edmunds - Very Undertated

marck

2 hours ago, marck said:

Watching the game yesterday and taking note of Tremaine Edmunds and Jordan Poyer absence I have this thought.

The Steelers were able to be fairly successful throwing the ball yesterday and to be honest I felt the absence of Edmunds was a major cause of that success although the yards were “a lot of empty calories” completions.

Edmunds presence with his height and wingspan and quickness erect havoc on the opposing QB field of vision and stop many of those passes that were completed yesterday.

Obviously Poyer also being out impacted the overall success of the pass defense.

So keep in mind that once past "enough" passing yards (surprisingly low, somewhere around 220 ypg), higher passing yards are actually a negative correlation with winning.

This is because teams who fall way behind, pretty much have to become one dimensional and sling it all over the place.

Pickett finished with 23 first downs and 327 yds passing.   But he had only 8 1st downs and 121 yards passing (plus 18 yds rushing) in the first half, which ended with a score of 33-3. 

The Bills smacked it down that they were not going to allow a run game, and Pickett was gonna have to beat them with his arm.  So the LBs seemed to be playing the run first.

So >200 of the passing yards were the result of a "prevent" sort of defense, where the safeties were playing deep and the goal was to just keep everything short and in front of them, prevent YAC and prevent deep completions. 

When you look at the completion chart, it's "in the eye of the beholder" but there are only 2 completions inside the hash marks and to me it looks as though a lot of the completions are shaded towards the sidelines.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/charts/player/season/kenny-pickett/PIC777233/2022/5/pass

I don't think Edmunds absence was a major cause of this "success".  As you say, there were a lot of "empty calories".  There's also this from Kaiir Elam:

PS full gamebook if interested

https://nflcdns.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/58904/BUF_Gamebook.pdf

Edited by Beck Water

Yes!!! 
another Edmunds thread, freakin fist pump time!

2 hours ago, marck said:

Watching the game yesterday and taking note of Tremaine Edmunds and Jordan Poyer absence I have this thought.

The Steelers were able to be fairly successful throwing the ball yesterday and to be honest I felt the absence of Edmunds was a major cause of that success although the yards were “a lot of empty calories” completions.

Edmunds presence with his height and wingspan and quickness erect havoc on the opposing QB field of vision and stop many of those passes that were completed yesterday.

Obviously Poyer also being out impacted the overall success of the pass defense.

I would disagree if anything because Kenny Pickett had one of the most hollow 300+ yard games in NFL history with just about all of the yardage coming in garbage time.

Poyer definitely needs to be in the lineup against the Chiefs though to realistically win this game.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure anyone underrates him.  I think he's a good MLB (prob better when blitzing), but someone will overpay him.  If they don't, I'm fine having him back.  But a rookie and what we currently have could come close to his level of play and open up money for Davis, Oliver, etc.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.