Five Buffalo Bills on roster bubble with toughest path to 53-man roster going into training camp

BillsFan619

The article referenced in the OP mentions Boettger as one of the reasons Van Roten is on the bubble. But, I think it's likely Boettger starts the season on IR. If not, and if he's cleared to start the season, I have to wonder if he doesn't get cut? The Bills have invested a lot of time developing Ike. But, his career (including his senior year in College) has been plagued by injury. And to end his '21 season with a non-contact injury (and quite a serious one, at that) leads me to believe that it might be time to move on.

I also think there is a fair chance they carry 10 O-linemen. They'll likely have two fewer D-linemen as they carried last season. They'll definitely keep Doyle on the 53, and I have this suspicion they'll want to put Tenuta on the 53, as well-- which does put Van Roten on the bubble if they carry nine. Ford has to be on the bubble, rookie contract be damned.

Several people have said Moss is on the bubble. I think the most likely scenario is that he's competing with Duke Johnson for a third RB spot. Motor and Cook are basically locks. But personally, I would give Moss the edge over Johnson, if for no other reason than his acumen in pass pro.

It's an interesting debate over Haack. He sucks as a punter. But, it begs the question (which would not even be a question on another team): Which is more important for a punter on the Bills-- punting the ball, or holding the ball? Bojo was replaced by Haack in large part because he didn't hold well. If Araiza proves to be inadequate at holding, is it worth it to endure the occasion shank in exchange for a more reliable FG/XP unit? (And have they considered giving the job to McKenzie? He's done everything else on this team!)

7 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

I still don’t understand why only 47 players of a 53 man roster can be active.  What is that trying to accomplish? Testing A head coach’s roster management skills?

I also hate that every player can't dress for every game. I actually feel bad for players when they are healthy scratches. (Especially like Shady for the Super Bowl with KC, etc.)

There are apparently two main reasons for the rule:

1. Competitive balance > If Team A has more players with minor injuries (not on IR) than Team B for any game, well then Team B would have more players to call on during the game if needed (giving them a bit of an advantage, especially if injuries occur during that game or it goes to overtime, etc.).

2. Injury management > A player gets a minor injury and will be out say 1-2 weeks. You don't want to put him on IR, but you also don't want to have to cut him or expose him to waivers to replace him with a healthy player for the games he will miss. 

I'm wondering if maybe they could fix this by tweaking the practice squad. Keep the expanded practice squad number, but maybe change the name to "Reserves" or "Reserve Squad." And then designate six slots on the "Reserve Squad" (the same number as the inactives) where a player from the 53 can be placed without being exposed to waivers for a designated number of weeks. When a man from the 53 gets designated to that spot, one of the reserve players can move up to the 53 to replace him while he is out. When the original player is healthy, he must move back up and the reserve player back down.

This is just off the top of my head, obviously more thought would need to go into it and some of the current practice squad rules would have to change. But there definitely seems like there could be a way to accomplish the same goals and still have 53 players active each week. 

On 7/16/2022 at 5:07 PM, folz said:

I also hate that every player can't dress for every game. I actually feel bad for players when they are healthy scratches. (Especially like Shady for the Super Bowl with KC, etc.)

There are apparently two main reasons for the rule:

1. Competitive balance > If Team A has more players with minor injuries (not on IR) than Team B for any game, well then Team B would have more players to call on during the game if needed (giving them a bit of an advantage, especially if injuries occur during that game or it goes to overtime, etc.).

2. Injury management > A player gets a minor injury and will be out say 1-2 weeks. You don't want to put him on IR, but you also don't want to have to cut him or expose him to waivers to replace him with a healthy player for the games he will miss. 

I'm wondering if maybe they could fix this by tweaking the practice squad. Keep the expanded practice squad number, but maybe change the name to "Reserves" or "Reserve Squad." And then designate six slots on the "Reserve Squad" (the same number as the inactives) where a player from the 53 can be placed without being exposed to waivers for a designated number of weeks. When a man from the 53 gets designated to that spot, one of the reserve players can move up to the 53 to replace him while he is out. When the original player is healthy, he must move back up and the reserve player back down.

This is just off the top of my head, obviously more thought would need to go into it and some of the current practice squad rules would have to change. But there definitely seems like there could be a way to accomplish the same goals and still have 53 players active each week. 

Agree it’s for these reasons but who would want that. Both players and teams like the inactives. Players get to stay on a team when slightly banged up. Teams don’t lose control of a back up player. It sucks for healthy scratches but deep down they would rather keep their roster spot than be cut. 

On 7/15/2022 at 11:54 AM, BillsFan619 said:

Their list

1. Marquez Stevenson

2. Greg Van Roten

3. Duke Johnson

4. Cam Lewis

5. Matt Haack

Who's on your list?

Any surprise cuts?

9 days, mafia! Training camp is almost here.

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2022/07/5-buffalo-bills-on-roster-bubble-with-toughest-path-to-53-man-roster-in-2022.html

Cam Lewis is the only one I see worth trying to find a way to keep on the Buffalo Bills roster in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

Even if Punt God's powers leave his body and he's a worse holder than Bojo then I still don't think you roll with Haack. Haack was borderline disaster a few times and never really did anything incredible the rest of the time. I still say he's too slow to kick and that it will cost this team dearly.

I found a list of available punters that included some decent names but it was from late May and apparently every single one of them has since signed, so I guess Haack is still in the mix unfortunately. Let's go Punt God.

Edited by Nelius

On 7/15/2022 at 1:01 PM, msw2112 said:

The only guy on that list that I'd really like to keep is Cam Lewis.  Aside from being a UB kid, he has played well whenever called upon and you can never have too many DBs.  I suspect that Tre White won't be 100% at the beginning of the season, so CB depth is even more important.  I also think Duke Johnson is a decent backup RB with pass-catching ability, but the drafting of Cook makes him expendable.

I think Jones is even more expendable and believe the Bills can replace him on ST with a younger,cheaper player. I read that Moss is willing to play ST. I can see Moss backing up Singletary and Johnson behind Cook,dont have to dress all 4 every game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.