July Movies: Thor, Minions, Nope, & Where the Crawdads Sing

Mark Vader

Sorry for being late with this one.

The month of July arrives as the summer season stays hot. This will be the first month of the season that will by far have the most nationwide releases. Sequels as always continue to rule, but there will be some original content as well.

Disney/Marvel kicked off the summer season back in May with the awaited return of Doctor Strange, now they bring back the God of Thunder.

Chris Hemsworth stars in "Thor: Love and Thunder". Thor enlists the help of Valkyrie, Korg and ex-girlfriend Jane Foster to fight Gorr the God Butcher, who intends to make the gods extinct. Also starring Natalie Portman, Christian Bale, Tessa Thompson, Taika Waititi, Chris Pratt & Russell Crowe.

Universal & Illumination bring us, "Minions: The Rise of Gru". The untold story of one twelve-year-old's dream to become the world's greatest supervillain. Starring the voices of Steve Carell, Pierre Coffin, Alan Arkin, Taraji P. Henson, Michelle Yeoh & Julie Andrews.

Universal also presents, "Nope". The residents of a lonely gulch in inland California bear witness to an uncanny and chilling discovery. Starring Daniel Kaluuya, Keke Palmer, Brandon Perea, Michael Wincott, Steven Yeun & Keith David.

Columbia Pictures presents, "Where the Crawdads Sing". A woman who raised herself in the marshes of the deep South becomes a suspect in the murder of a man she was once involved with. Starring Daisy Edgar-Jones, Taylor John Smith, Harris Dickinson & David Strathairn.

In "DC League of Super-Pets", Krypto the Super-Dog and Superman are inseparable best friends, sharing the same superpowers and fighting crime side by side in Metropolis. However, Krypto must master his own powers for a rescue mission when Superman is kidnapped. Starring the voices of Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Vanessa Bayer, Natasha Lyonne, Diego Luna, John Krasinski & Keanu Reeves.

In "Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank", Hank, a loveable dog with a head full of dreams about becoming a samurai, sets off in search of his destiny. Starring the voices of Michael Cera, Samuel L. Jackson, Ricky Gervais, Kylie Kuioka, George Takei & Mel Brooks.

In "Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris", A widowed cleaning lady in 1950s London falls madly in love with a couture Dior dress, and decides that she must have one of her own. Starring Jason Issacs, Lesley Manville, Anna Chancellor, Rose Williams & Isabelle Huppert.

Finally, in "Vengeance", A radio host from New York City attempts to solve the murder of a girl he hooked up with and travels down south to investigate the circumstances of her death and discover what happened to her. Starring B.J. Novak, Boyd Holbrook, Dove Cameron, Issa Rae & Ashton Kutcher.

Calendar with Trailers...

7/1

"Minions: The Rise of Gru":    https://www.minionsmovie.com/

7/8

"Thor: Love and Thunder":    https://www.marvel.com/movies/thor-love-and-thunder

7/15

"Paws of Fury: The Legend of Hank":    https://www.pawsoffurymovie.com/

"Where the Crawdads Sing":    https://www.wherethecrawdadssing.movie/

"Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris":    https://www.focusfeatures.com/mrs-harris-goes-to-paris/

7/22

"Nope":    https://www.nope.movie/

7/29

"DC League of Super-Pets":    https://www.dcleagueofsuperpets.com/

"Vengeance":    https://www.focusfeatures.com/vengeance

That's all for now.....Enjoy!

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The kids loved Minions. 

I thought Thor was meh. Definitely not as good as Ragnarok, if we're comparing.

Crawdads don't sing, so I'm confused by that title.

I went and watched Minions myself tbh, thought it was good, no shame here haha.

Thor was ok but yeah Ragnarok still the best by far though. Crawdads is based on the novel which I read(Girlfriend drug me to a book club lol). She wants to watch the movie but I don't really care either way.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Rigby said:

Crawdads is based on the novel which I read(Girlfriend drug me to a book club lol). She wants to watch the movie but I don't really care either way.

Do the crawdads actually sing in the book? If not, what's the metaphor supposed to mean? I'm befuddled.

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Do the crawdads actually sing in the book? If not, what's the metaphor supposed to mean? I'm befuddled.

I think it is supposed to be just a metaphor for a place where you go to be away from everyone and be with nature or something like that.

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Much like the latest Dr. Strange, Thor seemed very rushed and lacking focus.  It was another pedestrian Marvel movie.  All the Marvel content has been mediocre at best since Endgame.   

It feels like phase 4 has been slow to come together. What's the team? Who is the new version of the Avengers?

The shows have arguably had a stronger showing than the movies. I really liked Wandavision, Loki, Moon Knight, and Ms Marvel is good so far.

For the movies, Shang Chi was great. Everything else has been fun, but with some major flaws and I get no sense that they've accomplished much with the stories.

9 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

The kids loved Minions. 

I thought Thor was meh. Definitely not as good as Ragnarok, if we're comparing.

Crawdads don't sing, so I'm confused by that title.

I enjoyed the latest Thor, but Ragnarok was better.

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Much like the latest Dr. Strange, Thor seemed very rushed and lacking focus.  It was another pedestrian Marvel movie.  All the Marvel content has been mediocre at best since Endgame.   

I think that most of the Marvel movies since Endgame have been decent.

Black Widow was well thought out, even though it didn't add anything to the main storyline. Shang-Chi could have been a shorter movie, but was still good.

I really enjoyed the latest Dr. Strange movie.

None of the movies have made me want to go to theatres and pay the price they are asking especially with raised prices and reduced matinees and I am NOT one of those people with 4K TV and integrated music system.  I like movies like Aquaman where entire screen is used and you will notice something new every time but not see anything like that currently.

Edited by Limeaid

7 hours ago, Limeaid said:

None of the movies have made me want to go to theatres and pay the price they are asking especially with raised prices and reduced matinees and I am NOT one of those people with 4K TV and integrated music system.  I like movies like Aquaman where entire screen is used and you will notice something new every time but not see anything like that currently.

I would think Thor is like Aquaman... except on land...and in space.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/15/2022 at 6:17 PM, Limeaid said:

Go on Tuesday.

Most theatre chains have their all-day discounts on that day.

Edited by Mark Vader

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.