Father Arrested in Slaying of Two Girls

Frez

Actually, the incidence of quite a few of those has been relatively constant since the '30s (drug use, vicious dogs, rude children, even school killings and workplace shootings).  The prevalence of media coverage was vastly different, however.  For the most part, though, there's always been sick and stupid people willing to do sick and stupid things...

333249[/snapback]

Exactly.

Does this fall in line with our moving to a consumer society?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see you've convicted him already.  I mean the police accused him so he MUST be guilty!

I get nervous when police charge the people who notify them about a crime.  It's true most murders are committed by people who the victims know, but it strikes me as too convenient that it's always the person reporting the crime who becomes a suspect.  Especially in the case of this Hobbs guy, who apparently just got out of jail for assault.  Keep in mind Mr. Runaway Bride, the guy who notified the police of his missing fiance, became the #1 suspect in her disappearance!

I'm not saying this Hobbs guy didn't do it.  He may well be a monster.  But how sad would it be if he DIDN'T do it and gets convicted?  He loses his kids and gets put to death for a crime he didn't commit.

PTR

333170[/snapback]

Maybe they should also re-open his conviction for the time he was CHASING his neighbors at a trailer park while holding a chainsaw.

It does now. I understand your point, which I assume is faster and more widespread communication.

However, 40 years ago, if such things were commonplace it would not have possible to bury it. The press was just as hungry for a story then as now.

One thing, these days, is that a good number of folks have little or no knowledge of how things were. - time marches on, the young replace the old. To many, crudity, confrontation, mistrust, etc. are simply components of what they grew up with.

I was born in the early fifties. Here is a list of some things that were not prevalent then:

security cameras

anti-theft packaging

carjacking

kidnapping

divorce

obscene phone calls

the studying of martial arts

unlisted phone numbers

school killings (even though we boys invariably carried jack knives to school with us)

locked doors

credit cards

incessant screams about "my rights"

snotty store clerks

drugs

vicious dogs in residential neighborhoods

obscenities on radio and tv

gratuitous blood and gore on tv

children insulting strangers

grade inflation in school

workplace shootings and killings.

I could go on.

333203[/snapback]

Don't forget, you feared your father because he could take the belt to you. Try that these days and you're in jail!

And generally speaking, your mother was home, and not forced to work in order to merely survive.

333392[/snapback]

I applaud and respect anyone who can be a stay-at-home parent. That's what's missing in our society.

CW, sometimes I dispair of you.  I have it on good authority that you are a decent sort. But please realize that the time comes in human endeavor to understand that opinions differ, and that there is little to be gained by insisting that your view is the only one out there. End of lecture.

Being disputatious is not an endearing trait, and in practical terms, it doesn't get you invited to parties. ;)

333250[/snapback]

Hey, lots of other people are saying the same thing I did in this thread. Go use big words on them too! :P

:P

CW

I applaud and respect anyone who can be a stay-at-home parent.  That's what's missing in our society.

333395[/snapback]

I do. I work shift-work. While I am at work, my wife is home. While she works, I am at home.

She's the boss...CEO

Me?... The peeon.

I like to use the WKRP line that Herb would brainwash Les and Mr. Carlson.

"They're the dungarees and we're the suits."

Yes.  His message to you and many others here is: "Stop touching yourself."

333093[/snapback]

peter: "why did all the dinosaurs die?"

man: "cus you touch your self at night."

:P:P

-family guy

And generally speaking, your mother was home, and not forced to work in order to merely survive.

333392[/snapback]

A lot of the reason why both parents work is for "more stuff".

Two or three cars

Cable, or satellite or whatever

Multiple PCs in every room

I could go on but won't since you get my drift. MOST families do not HAVE to have two parents work to merely survive; it's all the perks we think we need. :P I am as guilty as the next person - this is not to point fingers at anyone else. Just a thought.

"He had argued with Laura's mother, Sheila Hollabaugh, then grabbed a chain saw and chased neighbors until someone hit him in the back with a shovel."

that just sounds bad.... :P

333593[/snapback]

It would have sounded alot worse if it had happened in MY neighborhood. :P

Things that did go on in the early 1950's:

Emmitt Till gets murdered for looking at a white woman.

333371[/snapback]

Seriously. Thank God racially motivated crime has been eliminated in society!

So, now the bastard admits to the killings, saying that he was mad at his daughter for missing curfew, and the other girl was killed just because she was there.

This story, like so many others these days, just makes me physically ill.

"The father of an 8-year-old girl who was slain along with her best friend admitted to authorities that he was the killer, saying he was angry at the girl for breaking curfew, authorities said Wednesday."

"In videotaped interviews, however, prosecutors say Hobbs told them he killed the girls, stabbing his daughter repeatedly in the neck and eyes, after Laura refused to leave the park when he ordered her to go home."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/girls_dead

edit: i need to learn to type faster.... :P

What a worthless piece of sh--...

Pavletic said Hobbs told investigators that Krystal tried to defend his daughter with a 4- to 6-inch knife and that he took it away from her during the fight and stabbed them.

I guess the 9 yr old pulled the knife on him and he took it away and stabbed them. He was probably in fear of his life. That 9 yr old looks pretty tough in her picture. ;)

Laura was stabbed 20 times, including once in each eye, and Krystal was stabbed 11 times, he said.

Maybe the Republican Congress can pass a law to bring back public stoning for this case.