Fantastic DaQuan Jones interview

Rigotz

5 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I will never claim that Whaley was bad at player evaluation. His HUGE weakness was the draft imo. He had no problem giving away the store in order to draft players that didn't pan out for various reasons. It was as if he had no self control.

He was however a great dresser.

hey Im glad Im not the only poster that credits and notices fashion. I remember Tyrod was a VERY sharp dressed man! I think #17 leaves that to Britt and he is wise to do just that. She is absolutely GORGEOUS her sense of style is ON POINT. He's no slouch either. But she is stunning Im just calling it like I see it.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/9/2022 at 10:49 PM, BADOLBILZ said:

Not sure a guy who is assumed to be the other half of a starting rotation can be under the radar..............but if he turns into a star that would be value far in excess of his low end starter money.........which has still been almost entirely elusive for Beane in free agency.

Every multi-year deal that has panned out at all for Beane........basically only Morse, Beasley, John Brown and Addison.......has been handsomely paid for.

It's pretty weird how the free agency value faucet slowed to a drip completely after the Hyde and Poyer signings.   Even that limbo period between lame duck Whaley and hired Beane was more efficient than Beane.  

Whaley is much maligned........but people forget that he was the Bills pro personnel director before he got elevated to GM.   Nobody is perfect but evaluating pro personnel was a strength of his.  

This much heralded front office has done a lot of things right but free agency has been a struggle for them.

I believe Beane will get better at it with experience.........I do believe in their growth mindset........maybe this is the class that begins to change their fortunes in UFA.       

Spot on.  If you took away Allen, Beane would be unemployed.  His drafts have not been great, FA has been bordering on AWFUL.  Guaranteeing Chris Ivory almost 3M anyone? Good lord. Overpaid talent has been the name of the game.  His UDFA have been bigger hits than his drafts in general.  The thing is, he has Polianitis, he drafted a great QB, even if he fails to do Jack ***** and that QB covers him, he looks great.  It’s gonna be a great career for him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Spot on.  If you took away Allen, Beane would be unemployed.  His drafts have not been great, FA has been bordering on AWFUL.  Guaranteeing Chris Ivory almost 3M anyone? Good lord. Overpaid talent has been the name of the game.  His UDFA have been bigger hits than his drafts in general.  The thing is, he has Polianitis, he drafted a great QB, even if he fails to do Jack ***** and that QB covers him, he looks great.  It’s gonna be a great career for him.

Uhh, Tredavious White, Matt Milano, Taron Johnson, Dion Dawkins, Gabe Davis, Devin Singletary, Tyler Bass, Dawson Knox, Dane Jackson. Those have all been good draft picks, some especially good considering what round. 

Mitch Morse, Cole Beasley, Stefon Diggs, Tyler Matakevich, Emmanuel Sanders, Mario Addison. Those have been great to good FA picks ups or trades. 

That’s a pretty solid list. What teams immediately spring to mind that have drafted much better consistently since 2017 and also hit on all of their FA signings? Maybe the Colts? The Bucs? Anyone else?

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

I agree........if they miss on the QB pick after deferring the decision in 2017..........they likely don't even make it to 2020.   

That opinion may piss some people off.........but all it really says is that most regimes are only as good as their QB.    The Patriots dominated the NFL for the better part of 2 decades with no better than a middling track record with regard to personnel.   Being successful doesn't necessarily prove that you've been broadly efficient wrt your roster.

I will say that the 2018 draft was excellent and that they've had excellent results with their round 1 picks (including getting Diggs).    The pro personnel work has been extremely ineffective.   Like I said, hopefully this UFA class pays better dividends.   But if not,  they may still remain a top team for some time.   When you have a great QB and your coaching/training staffs are strong,  your team is going to have a high floor.

9 hours ago, uninja said:

Uhh, Tredavious White, Matt Milano, Taron Johnson, Dion Dawkins, Gabe Davis, Devin Singletary, Tyler Bass, Dawson Knox, Dane Jackson. Those have all been good draft picks, some especially good considering what round. 

Mitch Morse, Cole Beasley, Stefon Diggs, Tyler Matakevich, Emmanuel Sanders, Mario Addison. Those have been great to good FA picks ups or trades. 

That’s a pretty solid list. What teams immediately spring to mind that have drafted much better consistently since 2017 and also hit on all of their FA signings? Maybe the Colts? The Bucs? Anyone else?

When you get the list narrowed down to Beane’s picks, we’ll talk.

If that list of FA’s is good to you, I don’t think this is a conversation worth having to be honest. 

It's always great o go home but for a NFL player to wind up on the home town team you grew up watching i think would be the best way to wind up your career & if he can come home & help win a SB it don't get much better than that !! 

Home town boy makes good ... GO BILLS !!! 

2 hours ago, DCofNC said:

When you get the list narrowed down to Beane’s picks, we’ll talk.

If that list of FA’s is good to you, I don’t think this is a conversation worth having to be honest. 

Mitch Morse wasn’t a good signing? 
Stefon Diggs has been everything we hoped he’d be. Cole Beasley was exactly what we needed when we needed him. The rest have been good/average and played or have played their roles well. Also I guess curious what your benchmark here is, is there another team you’re looking at that you think is the standard that the Bills should aspire to?

2 hours ago, uninja said:

Mitch Morse wasn’t a good signing? 
Stefon Diggs has been everything we hoped he’d be. Cole Beasley was exactly what we needed when we needed him. The rest have been good/average and played or have played their roles well. Also I guess curious what your benchmark here is, is there another team you’re looking at that you think is the standard that the Bills should aspire to?

Morse has been average and got paid as the best C in the game, poor value there.  Beasley was way over paid for as well, though I did love him on the team.  If you take a look at all the FA signings, it’s a big list of misses in all honesty.  Guys who didn’t make the team, had to take pay cuts to stay or couldn’t justify being paid what we signed them to as soon as it was possible to release them. 

Diggs you gave up a first round pick for in a WR rich draft class and have had to pay him as a top player, which he is, but you could have taken Jefferson right in the same spot and got the same production on a rookie deal for 5 years.   The Diggs deal ended up working out pretty well for both teams, but the Vikes ultimately won that deal and there’s no real argument on that. 

I think if you are honest with yourself, you would recognize this team is not a great team without JA.  JA has made Every single WR he played with have a career best year, he’s carried the team to wins.  The rest of the guys they have added around him are not that great aside from Diggs.  Cleveland has a more talented roster and has 2 QBs with massive deals on their books, PLUS has 30M in cap left.   The Bills are ina good spot, but Beane has not been anywhere near as great as this board wants to believe.  Allen covers up a LOT.  Aside from Allen, you could argue he has yet to hit in another 1st or second round pick ( I have high hopes for Groot, but he’s proven nothing yet).  All of them have underperformed their draft spot.  He’s done pretty well in the 3rd round and down.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.