Anyone have camp experience?

I was wondering if any of the parents out there have any experience with sending their kids to camp? There is a group called "Campfire USA" that's running a week long camp for kids just north of Syracuse. It's essentially a day camp with no overnights. It covers the basics, swimming, boating, crafts etc.. The cost is $120.

Since I can't get the "Canteen Boy" image out of my mind I was wondering if anyone has experience with this kind of thing? If it's worthwhile I have no problem with the cost.

Of course, I'm assuming he's going to be safe and not get molested!! :D

My kids to young yet, but I have great memories of camp as a kid. Went to a camp run by the catholic church called Camp Turner( what other catholic kids on this board went there) . Man , had a great time, looked forward to oit every year. But it was a two week stint, not daily.

My wife`also went to camp as a kid and loved it. I can tell you our kids will be going when old enough.

I went to a daycamp at Green Lakes in Fayetteville when I was around 10-11. Many of the kids were from 'rougher' neighborhoods in the city. I learned alot of new words and things from those kids.

My son went to Lourdes camp in Skaneateles for a week last year and he loved it, and wants to go again this year. But that's an overnight camp. Fortunately where I work they offer a daycamp at the rec center right at work.

The most important things to look at is the quality and experience of the people running the camp. Do they have enough experience and is there a good adult/child ratio so they can keep an eye on everyone. Of course the majority of adults will actually be high school/college age.

The American Camp Association certifies camps that meet a certain level of quality. http://aca-camps.org/

My kids to young yet, but I have great memories of camp as a kid. Went to a camp run by the catholic church called Camp Turner( what other catholic kids on this board went there) .

329012[/snapback]

I went there around 1969-70.

It depends on what you want to accomplish. I was a camper as a kid and have been involved in church camps most of my adult life. Camps have the advantage of providing an intensive experience. The conventional wisdom is that a week of camp is worth a year of Sunday School in terms of the impression it cam make on a child. Of course that's only true if camp is a positive experience. If your talking a private, non-church related camp, I would ask for references to make sure the camp provides a positive experience where children are having fun and hopefully learning some positive values. If your child is quite young a day camp (no nights) is often a good idea, because nighttime is the time when a young child is most often going to feel homesick. Church camps often run 2 or 3 day camps for younger elementary children rather than a full week.

My kids to young yet, but I have great memories of camp as a kid. Went to a camp run by the catholic church called Camp Turner( what other catholic kids on this board went there) . Man , had a great time, looked forward to oit every year. But it was a two week stint, not daily.

My wife`also went to camp as a kid and loved it. I can tell you our kids will be going when old enough.

329012[/snapback]

I went to Camp Turner for one week when I was 7 or 8(circa 1967). All I remember is having to do a lap in the pool first thing in the morning. Water temp couldn't have been more than 60 degrees. Never went back.

I was wondering if any of the parents out there have any experience with sending their kids to camp?  There is a group called "Campfire USA" that's running a week long camp for kids just north of Syracuse.  It's essentially a day camp with no overnights.  It covers the basics, swimming, boating, crafts etc..  The cost is $120.

Since I can't get the "Canteen Boy" image out of my mind I was wondering if anyone has experience with this kind of thing?  If it's worthwhile I have no problem with the cost. 

Of course, I'm assuming he's going to be safe and not get molested!!  :D

329004[/snapback]

I was in boy scouts for 5 years as a youngster, had a blast camping and was out of my parents hair for a weekend a month and 2 weeks in the summer. Nothing naughty ever happened. If the kid wants to do it, let him. Or you could just put him in a giant plastic bubble all summer so nothing bad happens. Its up to you.

Another Camp Turner grad here. I went for 2 or 3 consecutive years in the 69-72 time period. I loved it. If I recall correctly for the youngest it was one week and you had a two week option as you got older. A few years ago I found a Camp Turner coffee mug in the attic as we were moving. Still have it at the office.

I went to Camp Turner for one week when I was 7 or 8(circa 1967).  All I remember is having to do a lap in the pool first thing in the morning.  Water temp couldn't have been more than 60 degrees.  Never went back.

329052[/snapback]

Sissy :D;)

I was in boy scouts for a long time, even got ym Eagle scout award :lol:...always loved going camping...went to day camp when i was younger and always had a blast...swimming, hiking, archery, sports, crafts, always a ton of fun for a week...