Upon further review...was Bass supposed to pop the kick up?

Hebert19

Yes in another thread....  I had to go back and watch every kick (second half)......  

Bass was kicking into the endzone.  His approach was 7-8 yards.....

The 29-26 kick, same approach 7-8 yards, After the 75 yard TD, he actually did a 5-6 yard approach and in the end zone.   After HT, 5-6 yards and through the endzone.....  

You want me to check the other 2 too?????  

No chance he was told to kick it short!!!!!! 

5 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I get that. Here is my take. Of course there is a risk of kicking a returnable ball. That's a given. However, in this situation the clock was our best friend and the Chiefs worst enemy. Imho, the top priority was to burn as much time off the clock as possible before getting the ball in Mahomes hands. One less play for Mahomes would have been huge. No way should he had the opportunity to have another play especially in this game. It's Mahomes and he was on fire. A kick into the end zone never gives the Bill's a chance to diminish the clock. That's it in a nutshell. I can live with the risk of a good run back or a poor kick that gives them good field position. A very good executed kick could have easily taken 3 to 5 seconds of the clock. The risk reward was clearly in favor of squib or high kicking the ball to the 5 or 10 yard line. Imho, the kick in the end zone was a collasal mistake. You have to trust your kicker and special teams to execute the play especially when the defense was getting shredded by Mahomes. When Mahomes went under center at the 25 yard line with 3 time outs and 13 seconds I never felt comfortable. Couldn't you feel that they were going to have a decent chance to tie the game? I could especially the way the game playing out. Hindsight is 20 20. It's easy after the fact. 

They kicked the FG with 3 seconds on the clock, so even if the kickoff burned 3 seconds while they fair caught or gave themselves up as soon as they touched it, the Chiefs still had the necessary time to get in range. The failure was all on the defense. 

3 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

They kicked the FG with 3 seconds on the clock, so even if the kickoff burned 3 seconds while they fair caught or gave themselves up as soon as they touched it, the Chiefs still had the necessary time to get in range. The failure was all on the defense. 

The Bills should have held Kelce and Hill on every play at the end. Defensive holding is a five yard penalty and time is running out. 

21 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Or perhaps just put someone within 20 yards of them. 

Yes this would have been a good idea as well. I still can't believe they blew it with just 13 seconds and KC at their own 25. Next year every game the Bills are leading late in the 4th I will be nervous until the clock hits 0:00. I can see it now Bills are up 7 but NE has the ball at their own 10 and there are 5 seconds left. I am going to be nervous until those 5 seconds are done.

2 hours ago, WotAGuy said:

I think the failure was both the defense and the kick into the end zone. The kick absolutely had no chance to move the clock. The failure to try to take seconds off the clock was a very poor decision. The defense they played was atrocious. I don't know how anyone can support the Bills defensive plays. Epic failure on the Bills that will haunt its fans for years to come. 

Edited by newcam2012

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.