espn....typical

However, I think in the public discourse, straight-up use of the word from a white person to actually name another person or a group does not serve any good purpose.  That's where I think this coach is in the wrong.  There was no good reason for him to use it.  He was "free" to, of course, but he certainly deserves any scrutiny he gets because of it.  If the University feels that they don't want someone representing them who speaks like this, then they are free to terminate him -- just as in the same way, if you were speaking as a representative of your workplace and said something that put them in a bad light.

327844[/snapback]

Well, of course it doesn't serve any useful purpose. It's an insult.

The issue here in my mind is not one of racism, it's one of moral relativism. To say it's OK or allow someone to do something when you penalize someone else for doing the exact same thing is contrary to everything this country is all about, wouldn't you agree?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, of course it doesn't serve any useful purpose. It's an insult.

The issue here in my mind is not one of racism, it's one of moral relativism. To say it's OK or allow someone to do something when you penalize someone else for doing the exact same thing is contrary to everything this country is all about, wouldn't you agree?

327949[/snapback]

Of course it's not. Which makes your argument FOR this guy even more ludicrous.

Exactly. Here's the thing that just burns me up....a white coach uses the word once in public, he gets fired. jay-Z puts out his latest hip-hop album, uses the word 1500 times on said album and makes millions off it.

And don't give me it's an ethnic thing, either. If that word is considered a "verbal swastika", no one should use it. Just all part of leftist hypocrisy.

327694[/snapback]

I really don't understand why people don't understand the difference between when your brother calls you a fukkhead it's a reason to joke and when a stranger does it's a reason to brawl (as long as you and your brother are close and you know where he's coming from). It's the same thing.

>>>>>Whose to say the shopowners won't vote against her?<<<<<

Ah but EIL, why should ONLY shopowners be that offended by her racist remark? Shouldn't we all be somewhat miffed? Besides, are all Indians shopowners?

Believe me, I do NOT aim this remark at you personally. You have made clear your disdain for her comment.

What I offer is that this is the same Hillary who was leading the charge against Trent Lott (an admitted idiot). Why has the huge majority of the left just written  off HER racist statement as all in fun, etc.?

Answer: Because they are holier than thou, rule-making, behavior controlling, self-absorbed, tax increasing hypocrites, and I think that many voters see this from a mile away, thus the imbalance of power.

327667[/snapback]

I have been thinking about what she said. What if it was taken as a compliment? Isn't it about attaining the American dream? Is being a gas station worker such a bad thing?

It may not really be a bad thing? Owning/working a shop should be a proud thing?

Maybe she was just pointing out the prevalence of Indians attaing the American dream?

Was it really demeaning? Can you tell me why? At first I thought it was demeaning?

I really don't understand why people don't understand the difference between when your brother calls you a fukkhead it's a reason to joke and when a stranger does it's a reason to brawl (as long as you and your brother are close and you know where he's coming from). It's the same thing.

328061[/snapback]

Well said.

I have been thinking about what she said.  What if it was taken as a compliment?  Isn't it about attaining the American dream?  Is being a gas station worker such a bad thing?

It may not really be a bad thing?  Owning/working a shop should be a proud thing?

Maybe she was just pointing out the prevalence of Indians attaing the American dream?

Was it really demeaning?  Can you tell me why?  At first I thought it was demeaning?

329871[/snapback]

She was talking about Ghandi, a national hero! Her comment was made in the context of a joke!

Whether or not one thinks it is funny is of course up to them, but again, this hag would be leading the charge to crucify a conservative who uttered something so ill advised.

I give you credit for thinking about it. At least you TRY to see both sides of the picture. You are unable to, but trying is a good thing. 0:)

She was talking about Ghandi, a national hero! Her comment was made in the context of a joke!

Whether or not one thinks it is funny is of course up to them, but again, this hag would be leading the charge to crucify a conservative who uttered something so ill advised.

I give you credit for thinking about it. At least you TRY to see both sides of the picture. You are unable to, but trying is a good thing.  0:)

329873[/snapback]

So Ghandi coming to America and starting a business is a bad thing? Attaining the American Dream?

Remember, Ganhdi embodies the national people of India. It is not literally her running the shop.

Running a business is a good thing?

There is nothing negative about it when looking at this way.

Why is it demeaning to live the American Dream?... If it is Ghandi literally, which it wasn't and couldn't be?

Think about it? There is NOTHING NEGATIVE about doing GAINFUL, HONORABLE WORK?

So Ghandi coming to America and starting a business is a bad thing?  Attaining the American Dream?

Remember, Ganhdi embodies the national people of India.  It is not literally her running the shop.

Running a business is a good thing?

There is nothing negative about it when looking at this way.

Why is it demeaning to live the American Dream?... If it is Ghandi literally, which it wasn't and couldn't be?

Think about it?  There is NOTHING NEGATIVE about doing GAINFUL, HONORABLE WORK?

329875[/snapback]

You're an idiot. If "thinking more on the subject" led you to believe it was OK to reduce one of history's important figures to nothing more than a degrading stereotype, you should either think less or seek professional help. Oh that's right, Hillary Clinton is a Democrat. Soldier on. 0:)

You're an idiot.  If "thinking more on the subject" led you to believe it was OK to reduce one of history's important figures to nothing more than a degrading stereotype, you should either think less or seek professional help.  Oh that's right, Hillary Clinton is a Democrat.  Soldier on.  :(

329984[/snapback]

Explain to me what is degrading about the stereotype?

I never thought I would say this... AD, you are MORE elitist than me!

:lol:

You're an idiot.  If "thinking more on the subject" led you to believe it was OK to reduce one of history's important figures to nothing more than a degrading stereotype, you should either think less or seek professional help.  Oh that's right, Hillary Clinton is a Democrat.  Soldier on.  :(

329984[/snapback]

Ouch! :lol:

The strange thing is that I believe that he truly DID take the time to consider the comment, and found it perfectly OK; perhaps even a good thing to say. :lol:

The "liberals" of today tend to be an odd bunch. They do and say most of the things that they claim to despise, and then throw stones at others for not wanting to obey the "rules" that they so readily enact.

I could easily be wrong, but I dont remember the "McGovernite" liberals as being "do as I say" people, but I was very young.

Ouch!  :lol:

The strange thing is that I believe that he truly DID take the time to consider the comment, and found it perfectly OK; perhaps even a good thing to say.  :(

The "liberals" of today tend to be an odd bunch. They do and say most of the things that they claim to despise, and then throw stones at others for not wanting to obey the "rules" that they so readily enact.

I could easily be wrong, but I dont remember the "McGovernite" liberals as being "do as I say" people, but I was very young.

330918[/snapback]

No it is not perfectly okay... It is just not one side either... AGAIN, why is owning/working a business NEGATIVE? Attaining the American dream? Because it was Ghandi?

Read my other posts?

There is a caste system in India?

???

No it is not perfectly okay... It is just not one side either...  AGAIN, why is owning/working a business NEGATIVE?  Attaining the American dream?  Because it was Ghandi?

Read my other posts?

There is a caste system in India?

???

330922[/snapback]

Take away the "idiot" part, and look at AD's answer. It was an ethnic stereotype at its worst; one that Hillary would deem inexcuseable if a conservative said it.

C'mon EIL, this is rather simple stuff. :(

Take away the "idiot" part, and look at AD's answer. It was an ethnic stereotype at its worst; one that Hillary would deem inexcuseable if a conservative said it.

C'mon EIL, this is rather simple stuff.  :(

330926[/snapback]

Why is it bad?

As I said... Unless you think owning a store is a bad thing?

And no. If a conservative used it would be okay.

At first look, it looks bad... this because I would be using my preconceived ethnic sterotypes... Throw those out the window and you can see that bringing somebody UP is NOT as bad as bring somebody down?

You guys can ONLY argue that HRC was bringing Ghandi himself down? Think he would be offended? Think again? Would the shopowners? Again, at first, I thought that way because I was letting my predjudices get in the way.

That is like saying to a struggling American that George Washington's everywhere got their humble starts where you are?

Look past your preconcieved notions and see that it is tearing nobody down except the elitist mentality one has?

Why is it bad?

As I said... Unless you think owning a store is a bad thing?

And no.  If a conservative used it would be okay.

At first look, it looks bad... this because I would be using my preconceived ethnic sterotypes... Throw those out the window and you can see that bringing somebody UP is NOT as bad as bring somebody down?

You guys can ONLY argue that HRC was bringing Ghandi himself down?  Think he would be offended?  Think again?  Would the shopowners?  Again, at first, I thought that way because I was letting my predjudices get in the way.

That is like saying to a struggling American that George Washington's everywhere got their humble starts where you are?

Look past your preconcieved notions and see that it is tearing nobody down except the elitist mentality one has?

330933[/snapback]

Let me change my initial statement. You are a fuggin' idiot.

Spin it however you want.

Elitist? Typical liberal tactic. Yeah, the problem's all mine.

In an era of continuingly strained racial relations, here is one of our most recognized politicians tossing out a stereotype as a "joke." If a High School student started an oral report exactly the same way, they'd likely face expulsion.

Yet somehow you manage to turn this into "Indian guy 'owning' a gas station" as an honorable thing. You're far more amazing than Grant. :(

I can appreciate Walt Whitman writing "I Can Hear America Singing" where he extols the importance of every honest job in America. Sorry, EIL, Hillary Clinton wasn't hanging out at Walden Pond. And I also don't see it as an accident or like Lott's brain fart.

Just like when Bill went to Jesse Jackson's rally and called out "Sista Solja" for her lyrics (well, I don't blame Bill for this, she, JJ and his Rainbow-Push group that he uses to steal millions from blacks in this country suck). He then started talking about welfare reform (again, not that I disagreed with it). He was pandering to a certain element of the right, to get rightists to say "Hey, he's not a liberal liberal. I could possibly vote for him."

Purely a political move, just as Bill's hanging out w/ the Republicans is. As I've said before, the Clintons are no friends of the Democrats, especially not the part that is conservative Democrat which is the future of the party. The Clintons take from among some of the worst ideas both parties have to offer.