Things I would adjust through the end of season

Robert Paulson

Personnel/Coaches can't be significantly changed but there are things that can be done to help get this team back on track.

1. Ditch the RPO/Shotgun dominance in the offense- Daboll can not let it go and goes back to it every game

Our o line is not good and we put them at a disadvantage with RPOs out of the shotgun. They don't know if they should fire into their blocks or set up to pass protect. Because of that they do neither well. The RPO is supposed to catch the D off guard but it catches our o line off guard.  Our running backs have no speed into the hole if there is one because they are starting from a stand still not knowing if they will get the ball instead of having momentum as the tailback with Josh under center. Fractions of a second count with this line and RBs.  It is said Josh prefers shotgun so he can see the field so keep it on obvious passing downs if we must.  Josh under center with play action is the move we need to commit to. We can't power block so let's pull a guard or center and generate some momentum.

2. Tighten the RB rotation

This happened Monday because McDermott loves sitting fumblers so Breida  sat the last 3 qtrs. but let's give Singletary 20-25 carries and see if he can get a rhythm and break a few off out of the I.  The current rotation gives them little chance to get a feel and get going. 

3. More Davis/McKittrick-less Sanders/Beasley

Sanders can't run block and hasn't appeared to be getting open. Beasley is being ignored or is not getting open either.  When Davis is in it opens the Offense to use play action effectively because he is a good blocker plus he gets open over the middle for tough catches. Knox and his broken hand are having trouble catching the ball and hasn't been running routes over the middle anyways. McKittrick should be in motion 10 plays/game and get 3 jet sweeps to keep the D off balance. Sanders can run these as well if needed.

4. Tighten the D line Rotation.

We should be playing 6 and not 10 a game. No one can get in a rhythm or feel for blocking schemes because they are out before they start adjusting. 2/3 into the season we should all be fresher with the 10 man rotation used so far. Pick 6 to rotate and switch someone out if they are not performing but tighten the rotation.

5. Run blitz Milano/Poyer/Hyde

How did it take us 55 minutes to adjust to the New England power run scheme with 7 O line? We were read, read, read, read, eventually react for the whole game giving up big plays.  We eventually looked like a defense at the end when we started attacking the backfield.  I left out Edmunds because he needs to stay in the middle because for the life of me he picks the wrong hole or is late the majority of the time into the line. 

• Like (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

I think more quick hitters to Beasley and Diggs. Pass before our line crumbles. Some screens sprinkled in to RBs. A few designed roll out RPOs. Basically, don't rely on the OL for a damn thing. 

i'm fine with the roll out where josh can run or pass. that woks more often than not except when he takes a shot or doesn't secure the ball. . the option with the running back in the shotgun does not seem to get us anywhere.

i'd love to see quick hitters to beas and diggs. i don't know if they are not being designed(Daboll issue) or if josh is stubborn and is looking for the 30 yd. pass every down. he appeared to not attempt them when they have been open in the past. he needs to get over that and throw the 5 yard pass that gets 15-30 with the RAC.

our inability to successfully run a screen pass baffles me. our line is small and fast- they should be able to succeed here. not sure if this is a Daboll issue or something else. 

off season: fresh thinking is needed in D Line, D coordinator; O Line, O coordinator positions. The poor technique used by both our lines is disgraceful. The inability to analyze and react in game just pisses me off. 

• Like (+1) 2

Dump ford, lotuleiei, morse, Sweeney, all the running backs, Jose feliciano, Darryl Williams, all the running backs, butler, sanders, Beasley, South China Sea and all the ancient ends.

trade diggs for a first and replace him like the vikes did - he'll continue to get ground down after 6 yard catches.. Trade epenesa, motor, and moss for peanuts.

Get some angry motivated fat dudes to man the lines. Draft some big fast lbs -  no more of these lanky or underweight dudes. 

Edited by Momma Pecoraro
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Personnel/Coaches can't be significantly changed but there are things that can be done to help get this team back on track.

1. Ditch the RPO/Shotgun dominance in the offense- Daboll can not let it go and goes back to it every game

Our o line is not good and we put them at a disadvantage with RPOs out of the shotgun. They don't know if they should fire into their blocks or set up to pass protect. Because of that they do neither well. The RPO is supposed to catch the D off guard but it catches our o line off guard.  Our running backs have no speed into the hole if there is one because they are starting from a stand still not knowing if they will get the ball instead of having momentum as the tailback with Josh under center. Fractions of a second count with this line and RBs.  It is said Josh prefers shotgun so he can see the field so keep it on obvious passing downs if we must.  Josh under center with play action is the move we need to commit to. We can't power block so let's pull a guard or center and generate some momentum.

This happened Monday because McDermott loves sitting fumblers so Breida  sat the last 3 qtrs. but let's give Singletary 20-25 carries and see if he can get a rhythm and break a few off out of the I.  The current rotation gives them little chance to get a feel and get going. 

Sanders can't run block and hasn't appeared to be getting open. Beasley is being ignored or is not getting open either.  When Davis is in it opens the Offense to use play action effectively because he is a good blocker plus he gets open over the middle for tough catches. Knox and his broken hand are having trouble catching the ball and hasn't been running routes over the middle anyways. McKittrick should be in motion 10 plays/game and get 3 jet sweeps to keep the D off balance. Sanders can run these as well if needed.

We should be playing 6 and not 10 a game. No one can get in a rhythm or feel for blocking schemes because they are out before they start adjusting. 2/3 into the season we should all be fresher with the 10 man rotation used so far. Pick 6 to rotate and switch someone out if they are not performing but tighten the rotation.

How did it take us 55 minutes to adjust to the New England power run scheme with 7 O line? We were read, read, read, read, eventually react for the whole game giving up big plays.  We eventually looked like a defense at the end when we started attacking the backfield.  I left out Edmunds because he needs to stay in the middle because for the life of me he picks the wrong hole or is late the majority of the time into the line. 

some good ideas, I'm sure McD and/or Bean etc. will realize them in the 4th quarter of the 17th game--as the bolded part notes, why are these guys so dense or stubborn?  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Robert Paulson said:

Agree on alot. Hate the RPO and it puts an already weak OL in a tough position. RPO works in college but there's too much speed in the NFL

Just give Devin 70% of the carries. He either sinks or swims. We need more Davis and Beasley and less Sanders the rest of the season. I don't know whether I trust McKenzie anymore?  Why did it take Leslie girl so damn long to start run blitzing.  It worked but was too little too late. The last thing I do is bench Edmunds against all running teams like NE, Tenn, Indy etc. Fournette  probably can't wait running right at Edmunds. Pick your best 6 Dlineman and rotate them. If one gets hurt then go to a scrub. A bad player who's fresh is still bad.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Agree on alot. Hate the RPO and it puts an already weak OL in a tough position. RPO works in college but there's too much speed in the NFL

Just give Devin 70% of the carries. He either sinks or swims. We need more Davis and Beasley and less Sanders the rest of the season. I don't know whether I trust McKenzie anymore?  Why did it take Leslie girl so damn long to start run blitzing.  It worked but was too little too late. The last thing I do is bench Edmunds against all running teams like NE, Tenn, Indy etc. Fournette  probably can't wait running right at Edmunds. Pick your best 6 Dlineman and rotate them. If one gets hurt then go to a scrub. A bad player who's fresh is still bad.

Agree. When there is no fear of the run, RPO is not going to work.

Everyone is always talking about speed. I believe Mckensie is the fastest and quickest receiver we have on the roster. I think he needs be be much more involved like he was last season. Sweeps, motion, screens etc.

As to Frazier changing,  I think McDermott probably made that call. Right around the change I saw him talking to the D and on the headset. I believe McD puts too much trust in Daboll and Frazier and just let's them call the game. Seems like when he is more involved with the D, they play much better. I think it might be worth bringing Daboll down from the booth. Just don't think the offense is communicating very well and maybe this could help.

Lastly, I know it will never happen, but going against a running team, should go more 4-3, put Klein in the middle and move Edmunds outside. He can still make the calls.

Totally agree with you on the D line.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.