Who are the leaders on this team?

The articles today where the players do the right thing by pumping up and praising Losman are great to see. Even Milloy (who formed a real bond with Bledsoe in NE which was part of bringing him here) was happy to do this even though it left a clear trail to finding some of the faults in Bledsoe's play.

Yet, it does raise the larger question of leadership for this team.

Often it is the QB is the undisputed leader (the Joe Montana case) or at least the first among equals (the Jim Kelly case). He handles the ball every offensive play and is often the most brainy or accomplished athlete.

However, this is a team with a first year starter at QB. He has lots of potential but potential simply means you haven't done anything yet.

Who is (are) the leader(s) of this team and why?

Looking at past models of success where the QB was not the man, they range from the Baltimore model where Trebt Dilfer played the caretaker role and Ray Lewis was the leader to the NE model where the young Tom Brady did a fine job by dustributing the ball equitably but Belicheck is actually the leader even though he is not a player.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out for the ills.

I'll give you a couple:

on D--

London Fletcher--enthusiastic, vocal, and hey coach put me on special teams and I'll help spring your returner for 4 touchdowns.

Milloy---1-4 without him last year....8-3 with him...see a trend?

Adams--after he got pissed off last year in the first Miami Game--he shut up and played his role...you have heard nothing from him about TD letting his pal Williams go--which surprised me--I think Sam wants to win one here bad.

On O--

Chris V and Trey Teague--they guys look up to them..I also think Bennie Anderson has great potential here..

Moulds--the key to his team leadership is when Evans gets more balls this year--how does he react--I think he will become the class, savvy veteran who will make salary sacrifices down the road to keep the band together.

The next generation:

JP Losman, Terrence McGee, Aaron Schobel, Duke Preston, Lee Evans--all I think have great team leader potential...

Surprises left off:

TKO-a little bit too much me...

Troy V.-too many outside interests...

Willis--already talking about more money....

I like them all -- but leadership is about team--not about me....

I'd agree with the general consensus laid out so far, particularly Eric Moulds name coming up several times. I think accomplishment has to be a big part of effective leadership and Moulds has been around long enough, made a few Pro Bowls, reached the century mark in passes caught and led the team with 84 catches last year that I think he is one of the recognized and acknowledged leaders.

I was glad to see Moulds quoted saying that Henry needs to get to camp because I think he is going to be a critical part of both mending fences and keeping Henry in line if we do not move him.

Another piece i would add to these comments is that in addition to the O and the D there will need to be a ST voice and leadership for this team. Sammy Morris as captain of the ST a couple of years in a row was this voice, but Wire was soppory developed by the Bills he did not seem to occupy this void last year as I think the Bills wanted him to.

Perhaps Moorman has enough accomplishments to be this leader.

why hasnt anyone said Takeo Spikes? he's the most vocal, passionate player we have

325118[/snapback]

When he arrived London Fletcher was clearly the best LB if not really the best defender overall. He knew the game well as can be seen with him arguing calls and points while GW was still standing around clueless tryung to figure things out. Fletcher was and is clearly a team first kind of guy as seen by how he has thrown himself into the ST role and play despite the fact he is a starter.

Even when you take into account the negatives with Fletcher as a player one could attribute his being a bit of control of some plays for over-exuberance and over commitment.

At any rate, what this has seemed to add up to is that in his time here Spikes has wed to Fletcher's leadership and actually taken a backseat to Fletcher in mnay ways. Perhaps this is just a quality move on his part making an effort to blend in with his team rather than take a me0first attitude. Yet. to some extent i think that is just the way Takeo is. I have no problem with his style at all because he does the important thing of showing up and leading by example.

I'm sure he is different with his teammates than what he projects to the public, but he does not seem to strike the typical leader pose adopted by folks such as Darryl Talley.

When he arrived London Fletcher was clearly the best LB if not really the best defender overall. He knew the game well as can be seen with him arguing calls and points while GW was still standing around clueless tryung to figure things out. Fletcher was and is clearly a team first kind of guy as seen by how he has thrown himself into the ST role and play despite the fact he is a starter.

Even when you take into account the negatives with Fletcher as a player one could attribute his being a bit of control of some plays for over-exuberance and over commitment.

At any rate, what this has seemed to add up to is that in his time here Spikes has wed to Fletcher's leadership and actually taken a backseat to Fletcher in mnay ways.  Perhaps this is just a quality move on his part making an effort to blend in with his team rather than take a me0first attitude. Yet. to some extent i think that is just the way Takeo is.  I have no problem with his style at all because he does the important thing of showing up and leading by example.

I'm sure he is different with his teammates than what he projects to the public, but he does not seem to strike the typical leader pose adopted by folks such as Darryl Talley.

325139[/snapback]

I think TKO & Fletch have the same kind of relationship that Biscuit & Talley had. Fletcher/Talley are the leaders on the field, the guys who are there every day, the players who make the calls on the field and who keep the other guys in line (I still think Fletcher has a little ways to go before he matches Talley's level - Talley was THE heart and soul of those Bills defenses)

Spikes/Bennett are the big play guys who get more of the recognition around the league. Playing next to Fletcher/Talley helps them get to that level.

The leader of your team has to be the guy who calls the defensive and offensive plays on the field.

Londer fletcher calls the defensive plays so he is the leader.

QB better be the leader of the Offense.

The leader of your team has to be the guy who calls the defensive and offensive plays on the field. 

Londer fletcher calls the defensive plays so he is the leader.

QB better be the leader of the Offense.

325252[/snapback]

Jim Kelly was really the last of the QBs whp actually called the plays n the field. The modern QB (particularly with the advent and perfection of helmet speakers is really a conduit for transferring the calls made by the OC and/or HC ti the team.

Definiitely this player must have good leadership ability to effectively communicate the plan but it is an illusion to assume that this player has a greater mantle of leadership through his performance of this function.

The Bills are fortunate this year, Pittsbirgh was fortunate last year with a rookie at QB and the Pats were fortunate in 2001 when Brady was their QB that the leader does not have to be the QB.

In the modern game leadership is most effective when it is a shared function and teams figure out a way to provide a balance of the full array of the areas of leadership necessary to have a winner.

On-field leadership is key, but from dealing with the media, setting an example for diligence in practice, dealing with media and even managin up to keep the relationships with the owners and coaches positive are among the necessary areas for leadership.

No aingle individual is capable of keeping track of all this and of being listened to by everyone on the team, the is particularly true of the youngsters like Brady, RoboQB and Losman. Fortunately there is more than one leader on a team and even in a particular unit.

I like them all -- but leadership is about team--not about me....

324969[/snapback]

I agree. Unfortunately, sometimes leadership and ego are inseparable. The leadership might be great but the ego eventually grounds the entire team. The Pats have done a pretty good job keeping the egos in check (at the expense of the rest of the league).

It will be interesting to see how this plays out for the ills.

324964[/snapback]

little freudian slip there FFS? :D

on offense, moulds is a proven leader, and JP is already making huge strides.

on defense, i think our safety tandem of milloy/vincent will prove to be very effective leaders.

my prediction is that by the end of training camp there will be no questioning JP's leadership of this team. the kid has too much moxie and is obviously putting in the time to prepare himself.

Jim Kelly was really the last of the QBs whp actually called the plays n the field. The modern QB (particularly with the advent and perfection of helmet speakers is really a conduit for transferring the calls made by the OC and/or HC ti the team.

Definiitely this player must have good leadership ability to effectively communicate the plan but it is an illusion to assume that this player has a greater mantle of leadership through his performance of this function.

The Bills are fortunate this year, Pittsbirgh was fortunate last year with a rookie at QB and the Pats were fortunate in 2001 when Brady was their QB that the leader does not have to be the QB.

In the modern game leadership is most effective when it is a shared function and teams figure out a way to provide a balance of the full array of the areas of leadership necessary to have a winner.

On-field leadership is key, but from dealing with the media, setting an example for diligence in practice, dealing with media and even managin up to keep the relationships with the owners and coaches positive are among the necessary areas for leadership.

No aingle individual is capable of keeping track of all this and of being listened to by everyone on the team, the is particularly true of the youngsters like Brady, RoboQB and Losman.  Fortunately there is more than one leader on a team and even in a particular unit.

325271[/snapback]

I disagree with you. There can be several micro-leaders on a team but there has to be one clear cut leader on the football team. Meaning when that person speaks everyone else listens no matter how much you get paid. Big Ben might not have been the team's leader his first game but i bet midway through the season he was. The same thing with Tom Brady.

The only way to become a leader of a sports team is to gain the respect of your teammates. Respect is gained through hard work, knowledge, and sacrifice.

I find it interesting that no one mentioned what an important leader Kent Hull was "back in the day." If your center isn't a leader, your line will never really gel. I think Trey understands this. He has to be among the top leaders on the team.

I'd say:

Fletcher, Adams, Moulds and Trey. Brian Moorman probably, too.

I wonder whether Schobel is emerging more as a leader. He's not the outspoken/fiery type of guy, nor is he a game-changing talent, but he has been a solid performer and a foundation for our D for as long as anyone else on the team. Plus he comes from a true football family, so he can probably dish it out as well as he can take it.