Josh Allen vs. Mahomes: Last 32 regular season starts

Sammy Watkins' Rib

2 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Mahome's career: Superbowl win, NFL MVP, Superbowl MVP, All-Pro x3, ProBowl x 3

Allen's career: All-Pro x1, ProBowl x1

Allen can hopefully be that dude, and Mahomes is slumping right now, but you don't overwrite his first 3 seasons.

No doubt. But this isn't really a discussion about their careers. The discussion is off the heels of Greg Cosell's comments transitioning from Allen being the most physically gifted QB to Allen perhaps being the best QB in the league. Previously Cosell would always throw in that while he thought Allen was the most physically gifted, he wasn't sure where he ranked in terms of the best QB's in the game. Cosell hasn't come out just quite yet and declared Allen the best in the league but it feels like he is getting really close. He, probably like most Bills fans, realize Allen can take it up several more notches from where he is currently. Sort of mind boggling when you think about how well he has played the last season and half. 

The previous 32 or 34 starts where Allen in terms of the most simplified QB metric, is equal or better than Mahomes is just one data tool that helps justify the changing opinion of Allen from a physically gifted QB to perhaps the best QB in the league. 

The best QB in the league is not always the QB with the most rings, the most recent super bowl champion or even the most hardware. Rodgers has widely been considered the best QB in the league over the majority of the last 10 seasons despite being 0-10 in making the Super Bowl in those 10 seasons. I would also say Peyton was the best early in his career but Peyton had zero rings and Brady had 3. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

No doubt. But this isn't really a discussion about their careers. The discussion is off the heels of Greg Cosell's comments transitioning from Allen being the most physically gifted QB to Allen perhaps being the best QB in the league. Previously Cosell would always throw in that while he thought Allen was the most physically gifted, he wasn't sure where he ranked in terms of the best QB's in the game. Cosell hasn't come out just quite yet and declared Allen the best in the league but it feels like he is getting really close. He, probably like most Bills fans, realize Allen can take it up several more notches from where he is currently. Sort of mind boggling when you think about how well he has played the last season and half. 

The previous 32 or 34 starts where Allen in terms of the most simplified QB metric, is equal or better than Mahomes is just one data tool that helps justify the changing opinion of Allen from a physically gifted QB to perhaps the best QB in the league. 

The best QB in the league is not always the QB with the most rings, the most recent super bowl champion or even the most hardware. Rodgers has widely been considered the best QB in the league over the majority of the last 10 seasons despite being 0-10 in making the Super Bowl in those 10 seasons. I would also say Peyton was the best early in his career but Peyton had zero rings and Brady had 3. 

I mean sure. If you said, you need a QB to win tomorrow, Josh over Mahomes right now. However, it's a long season and an even longer career for both of these guys. 

There were stretches where Peyton was way better than Brady. Does that matter today?

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Dilfer is a SB winner, but he was a bad QB who got lucky by being inserted mid-season for Tony Banks, who just as easily could have been along for the ride with that Ravens team.  Dilfer would even tell you he all he had to do was hand the ball off to Jamal Lewis, let his defense dominate and not make boneheaded plays, which admittedly was hard for him given his overall career.

Again, I am not disputing any of this. A lot of folks here have a problem separating whether a guy is a winner from whether they are good. 

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

It is semantic and something of an intellectual quibble folks mainly aren't interested in except as a reason to argue over a quibble. Objectively, the winner is the fella, gal, or team that wins the trophy. Whether they do so because of luck, talent, bad officiating, etc. or a combination (frequently the latter) is something one assesses on a case by case basis. In general, one can say having great players increases your odds of winning. I think we have some great players starting with Allen.

I agree. We do. We have the players to win. But until they do they can't call themselves winners. 

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Games 1-4 to begin the season for both qbs:

Mahomes

1218 yds

14 tds

118 rating avg.

Allen

1055 yds 

9 tds

96 rating avg 

Hey OP, you watching today's game vs the Jags?

?

I mean nice troll job @Dopey. Would you have posted in this thread if Allen had a good game?

Where was your comment in this thread before today's game? And as bad as today's game was I doubt it has a huge effect on on the last 32 /34 games. 

Only thing I can say is the Bills offense absolutely is out of sink in the last two games. Really out of sorts in 6 of the last 8 quarters. Much like the Chiefs have been for most the season. One of the common denominators for both teams is bad o-line play. Terrible o-line play in the Bills case. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

7 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

?

I mean nice troll job @Dopey. Would you have posted in this thread if Allen had a good game?

Where was your comment in this thread before today's game? And as bad as today's game was I doubt it has a huge effect on on the last 32 /34 games. 

Only thing I can say is the Bills offense absolutely is out of sink in the last two games. Really out of sorts in 6 of the last 8 quarters. Much like the Chiefs have been for most the season. One of the common denominators for both teams is bad o-line play. Terrible o-line play in the Bills case. 

Believe it or not I had the 4 game stats written yesterday. I was at a beach house and forgot to post. The last sentence was during the game today. I can see how you could take the last sentence as trolling. You don't have to believe it. But, now you see what happens when a QB has to try and carry a team. Mahomes has played great football at times this year as has Josh. Mahomes has had crappy games, as has Josh. Look at the first four games. 

2 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Believe it or not I had the 4 game stats written yesterday. I was at a beach house and forgot to post. The last sentence was during the game today. I can see how you could take the last sentence as trolling. You don't have to believe it. But, now you see what happens when a QB has to try and carry a team. Mahomes has played great football at times this year as has Josh. Mahomes has had crappy games, as has Josh. Look at the first four games. 

Mahomes was great the first 3 games this year I believe. Allen was bad the first two and today.  In the last 32/34 games their overall numbers are the same. As I said, I expect them to go back and forth for a while. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.