OBJ drama in Cleveland

YoloinOhio

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Hah!  Good question.  Not to cop out, but I don't follow hockey at all, so I really don't have an opinion about how the Sabres are managed. 

I think Bills ownership is very good.   I think they have the right touch between involvement and hands-off the football stuff.   They help and support the football people.   Most importantly, they learned quickly from their experience with Rex, really learned.   They recognized what's special about McDermott, and they collaborated with McDermott to get Beane, and then they collaborated with McDermott and Beane to get Allen.   I think it's a great thing, for example, that the owner can go on interview trips to see Allen but still not control the decision making.   Stuff like that is important. 

So, I think the Pegulas deserve credit.   Why that ability doesn't or hasn't translated to the Sabres, I can't say.   I mean, we all know that different kinds of organizations require different kinds of leadership.   It's not one-size-fits-all.   Just because I can lead an organization of 20 people doesn't mean I can lead one with 150 people.   Maybe leadership of a relatively large organization requires some skills, and leadership of a relatively small organization requires something different.   I don't know. 

And there's more than that.  I don't think Terry Pegula takes on projects expecting to fail, and I don't think Kim is much different.  They are purposeful, determined people.   In that way, they are like McDermott.  Maybe they got lucky when they found McDermott, but the lessons they've learned from him will not be lost on them.  They can see that their leadership of the Sabres is what will determine their success, and I'd be amazed if they haven't consulted with, and continue to consult with, hockey gurus about what behaviors they should adopt.  

Why haven't they succeeded after many false starts?   I don't know.  But I'm still betting on them. 

I think "most" owners are a product of their circumstances. In both cases for the Pegula's, they are willing to invest money into their product but only one has bore fruit while the other has rotted away.

What if Josh Allen was picked 5th overall hy Denver? Or by the Jets or Browns?Would the Bills be where they are now? Or would they be a 8-8, 9-7 type team struggling to reach the playoffs every year?

Was Jerry Jones a great leader back in the early 90's or did he just catch lightning in a bottle?

Robert Kraft? Was he a great leader or did Tom Brady happen?

I do agree it starts at the top. I do not think the Bills would be where they are currently at if Ralph was younger and running the show....but even Ralph found an acorn or two in his time as our owner.

Edited by Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beast said:

I think "most" owners are a product of their circumstances. In both cases for the Pegula's, they are willing to invest money into their product but only one has bore fruit while the other has rotted away.

What if Josh Allen was picked 5th overall hy Denver? Or by the Jets or Browns?Would the Bills be where they are now? Or would they be a 8-8, 9-7 type team struggling to reach the playoffs every year?

Was Jerry Jones a great leader back in the early 90's or did he just catch lightning in a bottle?

Robert Kraft? Was he a great leader or did Tom Brady happen?

I do agree it starts at the top. I do not think the Bills would be where they are currently at if Ralph was younger and running the show....but even Ralph found an acorn or two in his time as our owner.

That's interestjng, and I agree there's a degree of luck involved.  But the Pegulas hired McD (who was available by luck), and then Beane, and they saw in Allen what others did not.  So, yes, there was luck, but the Pegulas made decisions that resulted in the Bills taking advantage of the luck. I dont think that all happened by accident. 

Jones was smart enough to hire Jimmy Johnson but not to keep him.  That's an obvious difference from Kraft. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.