Athletic Article on Josh Allen's Early Season Struggles

saundena

I don't have The Athletic, but they have a writeup on Josh's early season struggles.  Anybody who has a subscription, I'd be curious to hear your take / summary on what they say (pls don't copy paste the article).

Me, I figured that he's regress, but not in a bad way.  Basically I felt that his passing yards, TD's etc would be reduced with an improved running game and defense.  I still expected him to be a high completion % passer and have a low % of interceptions.  I didn't expect this.  I think he will improve and hopefully it doesn't take all season. 

I know that the Bills installed a bunch of new plays before the Miami game.  Could this be one of the reasons why our offense wasn't so crisp against the Fins? 

Edit--  I know everybody is going to tell me to get The Athletic, but the only sport I watch is Football and I really only care about the Bills.  I wish I could get a Bills only subscription to the Athletic!

Edited by saundena

The short version is he's throwing to the left to a crazy extreme (only 1 intermediate pass to the right side) and throwing to the left last season was one of his weakest areas to throw to last season. This is the heatmap that Joe posted:

Screen-Shot-2021-09-20-at-3.33.19-PM.png

He had some other graphics showing that the 2021 heatmap lines up with one of the Allen's weakest areas from last season. He goes on to mention that in the 2nd half where they did move the ball better, they started running more plays like those they did last year. He posited a theory that they were trying to attack an area of weakness from last year and are now moving away from it. 

As an aside, the Athletics coverage is great especially for the Bills / Sabres. I recommend them to anyone willing to spend about $30 a year on it. 

Edited by jeremy2020
  • Shocked 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

The short version is he's throwing to the left to a crazy extreme (only 1 intermediate pass to the right side) which was one of his weakest areas to throw to last season. This is the heatmap that Joe posted:

As an aside, the Athletic's coverage is great especially for the Bills / Sabres. I recommend them to anyone willing to spend about $30 a year on it. 

I'm just going to hazard a guess that Xavien Howard was on the right side most of the game?

5 minutes ago, 1ManRaid said:

I'm just going to hazard a guess that Xavien Howard was on the right side most of the game?

Howard followed Diggs around so he wasn't on any one side. Haden was on the right side, but Joe B questions whether they'd be so concerned about Haden at this point of his career that they would avoid him. Joe B seems to think this more the Bills trying to attack a weakness from last season. Allen's numbers throwing to the right side of the field in 2020 were much better than throwing left. Teams would naturally pick up on this and could adjust their defenses so it may have been Daboll/Allen/etc did work to try to attack this. 

Edited by jeremy2020

3 hours ago, saundena said:

I don't have The Athletic, but they have a writeup on Josh's early season struggles.  Anybody who has a subscription, I'd be curious to hear your take / summary on what they say (pls don't copy paste the article).

Me, I figured that he's regress, but not in a bad way.  Basically I felt that his passing yards, TD's etc would be reduced with an improved running game and defense.  I still expected him to be a high completion % passer and have a low % of interceptions.  I didn't expect this.  I think he will improve and hopefully it doesn't take all season. 

I know that the Bills installed a bunch of new plays before the Miami game.  Could this be one of the reasons why our offense wasn't so crisp against the Fins? 

Edit--  I know everybody is going to tell me to get The Athletic, but the only sport I watch is Football and I really only care about the Bills.  I wish I could get a Bills only subscription to the Athletic!

I still think this is overblown...Josh played the steelers just about the same the last two years and the bills offense made some adjustments at halftime and stopped looking for big chunk plays downfield against the dolphins and he drastically improved.  Oline is not holding up in 4 man rush situations it's not like he's missing protection shifts in exotic blitzes or anything.  If we played the chiefs/titans back to back the first two weeks last year we'd be talking about how terrible allen is then too lol

3 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

The short version is he's throwing to the left to a crazy extreme (only 1 intermediate pass to the right side) and throwing to the left last season was one of his weakest areas to throw to last season. This is the heatmap that Joe posted:

He had some other graphics showing that the 2021 heatmap lines up with one of the Allen's weakest areas from last season. He goes on to mention that in the 2nd half where they did move the ball better, they started running more plays like those they did last year. He posited a theory that they were trying to attack an area of weakness from last year and are now moving away from it. 

As an aside, the Athletics coverage is great especially for the Bills / Sabres. I recommend them to anyone willing to spend about $30 a year on it. 

Teams want to force him to the left, same as last year. I appreciate what they tell us independently, but comparing those heatmaps side-by-side doesn't mean much because if you look at their overall shape it's the same. 2021 just has obviously less points.

3 hours ago, saundena said:

Nah, he just stunk. It's over, it is time to move on to next week vs. the WTFs..... 

C'mon Josh! It's time to kick-ass and win Super Bowls! You don't do it alone, everybody is behind you!

You can do it! Read and whip it!  Just fling the damn thing like you did last year!

Go JA17!

Go Bills!