anthony thomas v. travis henry

I really don't know how you call those a wash. Henry's best year is 300 yards, 7 TDs and 20 catches better. His second best year is 300 yards, 5 Tds and 20 catches better. The other two are a wash, IMO. 300 yards and 7 TDs is a huge difference.

322379[/snapback]

read my note again. i said henry was the better starter. as to who better fills the *backup* role, it's probably a wash. they're simply not that different when it comes to guys coming off the bench for spot duty.

Of course let's ignore the fact that Chicago is a much worse team, had less offensive plays, and also fumbles a whole lot less.

322398[/snapback]

In Thomas' one good season, far worse than Henry's, the Bears were 13-3. So now are you going to use the argument that he made them 13-3 because he was so good?

In Thomas' one good season, far worse than Henry's, the Bears were 13-3. So now are you going to use the argument that he made them 13-3 because he was so good?

322412[/snapback]

Did you watch that team play? They weren't exactly a balanced offense. They won mostly with defense and special teams - a ton of big play turnovers.

Did you watch that team play?  They weren't exactly a balanced offense.  They won mostly with defense and special teams - a ton of big play turnovers.

322423[/snapback]

Yes, I recall that. Pulled several improbable last minute victories out of a hat. Which is fine, they did it and deserve credit for that season. I can only imagine the dismay to the Chi fans after injuries and bad luck followed.

322412[/snapback]

You're only forgetting one thing, Travis Henry doesn't want to be here and will sit out if he is in September, Anthony Thomas probably would concider it a privilage to still be in the NFL. I'd take a subpar RB over a disgruntled RB who doesn't want to play anyday.

You're only forgetting one thing, Travis Henry doesn't want to be here and will sit out if he is in September, Anthony Thomas probably would concider it a privilage to still be in the NFL. I'd take a subpar RB over a disgruntled RB who doesn't want to play anyday.

322457[/snapback]

I'm not arguing that at all. If A train has something left in the tank, I would like him as our back-up considering who else is available, although I would take Th over him. I like him as a player, if he's healthy, which I am concerned about. I was only responding to the post that their stats were similar, which to me they clearly aren't. A Train is more limited than Travis is as far as I am concerned. He does (or did) one thing very well, run downhill, and he may not be able to do that anymore. Last year he looked extremely slow and sluggish whenever I saw him.

but how is A Train on blitz pickups and blocking the blitz and how are his hands compared to henry's?... if A Train is better in these 2 categories than henry than I think hes a better back for the bills...i dont think were looking for a 1000 yard season from our backup, unless willis gets hurt that is.

but how is A Train on blitz pickups and blocking the blitz and how are his hands compared to henry's?... if A Train is better in these 2 categories than henry than I think hes a better back for the bills...i dont think were looking for a 1000 yard season from our backup, unless willis gets hurt that is.

322483[/snapback]

A Train can't catch very well and to me seems to have trouble turning his widebody and looking for the ball.

Assuming Travis is gone, the A-Train would make a great back-up for McGahee. I get to see the Bears play a lot. Thomas is a tough runner, not unlike Travis, his worst attribute is getting banged up a lot. He is not an elite running back, but would be a more than servicable back-up. Since losing his starting job, he has played very well in the back-up position, and has made the most of his few opportunities. That is the kind of guy we need, not unlike the immortal Kenny Davis!

Forgive me, I am here at work, and haven't been able to check in much today. Is there rumour that the Bills are interested in Thomas?

To me it all comes down to blitz pickup then. We know how Travis does in this area but how does Thomas do? Anyone?

322519[/snapback]

It cannot be any worse. Because not recognizing or picking it up is about as bad as it gets.

It cannot be any worse.  Because not recognizing or picking it up is about as bad as it gets.

322537[/snapback]

I agree. The thing that makes Travis a good runner is his ability to deflect contact without taking a dead on shot - mostly due to his small stature. It's the same reason (along with his lack of football intelligence) that he sucks picking up the blitz.

I see A-Train as a poor man's Travis Henry, who wasn't even our number 2 back last year.  How can A-Train be any improvement.

322549[/snapback]

Much of the year our number 2 back was Shaud Williams. Hard to believe Anthony Thomas isn't an improvement over him.

I'm not arguing that at all. If A train has something left in the tank, I would like him as our back-up considering who else is available, although I would take Th over him. I like him as a player, if he's healthy, which I am concerned about. I was only responding to the post that their stats were similar, which to me they clearly aren't. A Train is more limited than Travis is as far as I am concerned. He does (or did) one thing very well, run downhill, and he may not be able to do that anymore. Last year he looked extremely slow and sluggish whenever I saw him.

322472[/snapback]

dog, they clearly aren't?? 3.9 ypc and 3300 yards v. 4.0 ypc and 3800 yards. that's in the same time frame, and they're pretty damn close. moreover, those bears teams haven't had any weapons whatsoever either. henry is a better back - no doubt about it. but with regard to the role we're talking about - backup rb - it's pretty much 6 of one, half dozen of another.

also, forget the number of receptions, because you and i both know that henry is a subpar receiving back. it's irrelevant to the issue at hand. tds are overrated too, a function of a player's team more than anything else.

Assuming Travis is gone, the A-Train would make a great back-up for McGahee.  I get to see the Bears play a lot.  Thomas is a tough runner, not unlike Travis, his worst attribute is getting banged up a lot.  He is not an elite running back, but would be a more than servicable back-up. Since losing his starting job, he has played very well in the back-up position, and has made the most of his few opportunities. That is the kind of guy we need, not unlike the immortal Kenny Davis!

Forgive me, I am here at work, and haven't been able to check in much today.  Is there rumour that the Bills are interested in Thomas?

322497[/snapback]

yeah, he's visiting the bills today. it's on the team site.