Clements may get transition tag

After the upcoming season

From my understanding the reason would be that if the Bills franchise Clements then sign him to a long term deal they would not be able to use the franchise tag again on another player for the life of the Clements contract.

The Bills would likely want to franchise McGahee 3 years from now.

If the Bills transition Clements then they could match any offer he receives from any other team & still Franchise Mcgahee in 3 years.

Unless the Bills decide to franchise & Clements & trade him or franchise him & keep him for 1 season I think the Bills would more likely transition tag him.

I dont think we have our transition tag because of the Spikes signing, i think we get it back when his contract expires or he is cut. However, if we franchise Nate, then I htink we can sign him to a long term deal eithe rbefore march 15th or something and after like july 15th but if we sign him in the interim period, then we lose the franchise tag for the duration of that contract...i believe.

After the upcoming season

From my understanding the reason would be that if the Bills franchise Clements then sign him to a long term deal they would not be able to use the franchise tag  again on another player for the life of the Clements contract.

The Bills would likely want to franchise McGahee 3 years from now.

If the Bills transition Clements then they could match any offer he receives from any other team & still Franchise Mcgahee in 3 years.

Unless the Bills decide to franchise & Clements & trade him or franchise him & keep him for 1 season I think the Bills would more likely transition tag him.

321815[/snapback]

Didn't the Bills sign McGahee to a 4-year-deal? Anyone have contract details?

I dont think we have our transition tag because of the Spikes signing, i think we get it back when his contract expires or he is cut.  However, if we franchise Nate, then I htink we can sign him to a long term deal eithe rbefore march 15th or something and after like july 15th but if we sign him in the interim period, then we lose the franchise tag for the duration of that contract...i believe.

321816[/snapback]

I think that the Bills lost that tag with Jeff Wright about 12 or so years ago.

You only lose the tags if you re-sign players to long term deals while they are tagged during a certain time period and if you re-sign the player out side of this period of time you do not lose the tag. In fact I think Buffalo actually signed PP then traded him to Atlanta and because we tagged him we're not reponsible for the signing bonus against the cap and Atlanta picked up the contract and I guess re-paid us the signing bonus. I am not sure what the time frame is, though. As for the transition Tag I think it is one of those things that if you have the franchise tag you also have the transition tag so i do not think we lost it when we signed TKO. As far as using the transition tag on Clements I think it is an option because I think it is the average of the top 10 highest salaries at the position as oppossed to the average of the top 5 salries at the position when you use the franchise tag so it would be cheaper to use the transition tag in stead of the franchise tag. The problem is , though that if the team does not match the deal offered to the player by the other team they receive no compensation.

Didn't the Bills sign McGahee to a 4-year-deal?  Anyone have contract details?

321866[/snapback]

Actually the Mcgahee deal is something like 6 or 7 years with some huge incentives and bonuses. He also has a buy out after 4 years but only if certain clauses are met.

My understanding was that the transition tag could only be used once by a team after the current CBA took effect. The Bills no longer have theirs available. The franchise tag is reusable. The "taggee" receives a one year contract, no bonuses, equal in value to the average salary of the top 5 salaries in the league at that position. If you sign a guy to a long term deal while franchised. the franchise tag is freed up for use on someone else.

My understanding was that the transition tag could only be used once by a team after the current CBA took effect.  The Bills no longer have theirs available.  The franchise tag is reusable.  The "taggee" receives a one year contract, no bonuses, equal in value to the average salary of the top 5 salaries in the league at that position.    If you sign a guy to a long term deal while franchised. the franchise tag is freed up for use on someone else.

321961[/snapback]

Here is my understanding.

#1) Franchise Tag. If a deal is not done my March 15th with the player tagged, then a long term contract cannot be signed by that player until after August 15th. If done before August 15th, the tag stays with the player for the entire length of the contract.

#2) Transition players have no compensation involved. Merely gives the team doing the tagging the option to match offers. That is where there is significant differance between the tags.

The Bills have both tags available to use, but one must be careful when using them.

As we have seen with Woodson , a player can really tie up your cap with these one year deals. Remeber, that is guaranteed money, and the 10 million Woodson got is only maybe a $1m or two less than is bonus would have been on the open market, and he will be an UFA agian next year.

The CBA ( http://www.nflpa.org/Members/main.asp?subPage=CBA+Complete ) says that as long as you have a tag available you can use the transition tag. You can even use the transition tag during the uncapped year...

Section 3. Transition Player Designations:

(a) Each Club shall be permitted to designate one Unrestricted Free Agent as a Transition Player between February 1 and February 15 in the Final League Year, with the period ending at 4:00 p.m. New York time. In addition, in each League Year during the term of this Agreement, each Club shall be permitted to designate one Unrestricted Free Agent or Restricted Free Agent as a Transition Player in lieu of designating a Franchise Player, if such Franchise Player designation is available to such Club, in addition to the Transition Player designation permitted by the immediately preceding sentence, during the same designation period as the Franchise Player designation period.

Terms are: one year contract, salary equivalent to the average salary of the top 10 (Franchise is top 5) in his position (or 120% raise over previous salary, whichever is greater).

Say you transition Nate. Then you match the offer that another team gave him.

Could you then trade him to that team ?

322124[/snapback]

if it's a signing bonus, no -- the amount would be payable by the bills immediately and would then count against their cap if he was traded.......

if it was a roster bonus, yes -- as long as they traded him before the roster bonus came due their would be no acceleration of signing bonus because no signing bonus would exist.......

realistically, why would a team insert a roster bonus over a signing bonus and make it easier for the bills to match? not a chance........

Didn't the Bills sign McGahee to a 4-year-deal?  Anyone have contract details?

321866[/snapback]

He's signed through 2007. It was a 5 year deal

2003 411000.00

2004 326250.00

2005 529000.00

2006 731750.00

2007 905000.00

He's signed through 2007. It was a 5 year deal

2003 411000.00

2004 326250.00

2005 529000.00

2006 731750.00

2007 905000.00

322151[/snapback]

Thanks for the info, moronS. IIRC, it was worked out that way in consideration of the risk the Bill's undertook because of the knee.