I may have to go to Canada just for beer

Draconator

Two memorable border crossings:

1- Mid 80s.  I drove to the Sundowner in a Geo Metro.  5 of us in that 3 cylinder car (don't know how we all fit in that). Canadian Customs said have fun and spend $.  Coming back, i had 3-4 beers so I might have been on the edge of impaired. Had to talk to the cop just before exiting the plaza and onto the Thruway so he could check for drunks.  Recite the ABCs. Had to stop for a second or two at P to get a new breath and finished the alphabet. The cop asked why I stopped and I explain I had to get more breath.  Friend in back seat says " He stutters."Cop waves us to leave.  Pull up about a foot in traffic and the window is still open.  Same friend in back seat says" I saved our asses. " Everybody else in car is muttering to him " STFU". Luckily he was probably focused on the next car. I was swearing like a sailor and threatened to kick him out of the car at the Niagara Street exit of the 190 at about 1:30 AM and make him walk home  to Depew. 

2- First day in the lab where I did my thesis  research and he advisor says to come with them to Toronto for a regional meeting on yeast (we were  studying DNA replication in bakers yeast). The car had  3 of who were born  American citizens, a Pakistani- Australian  who had now become an American, a Chilean who had a green card, and an Indian that had a visa. No problem goin to Canada.  Coming back, we thought it would take an hour or so at US Customs.We explain all of our statuses. The inspector asks why we were in Canada. The advisor says "For a scientific conference on yeast" and who sponsored it.  we told him that  Labatts and Molson did supply  plenty of beer.  He has this concearned look and asks "Bring any beer back?" we replied  "No". He says " Next time bring 6 cases back. You're allowed a case a person!"

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 2

If I go to Canada (in the near term), it'll be to eat at Swiss Chalet, and to bring home multiple bottles of that pretty killer BBQ/hot sauce.  I had said sauce at my cousin's house right before the pandemic (Oct 2019), and I'd forgotten how good it was and/or how Swiss Chalet was a go-to restaurant for my family and I for years.

On 8/19/2021 at 7:53 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

'I may have to go to Canada just for beer'

In the days of easy border crossings, it was probably the main reason.  Canadian Ballet and peameal bacon ranking just behind.

Amen to all of this ^^^^^ The good old days

On 9/14/2021 at 7:00 PM, Draconator said:

I registered on ArriveCAN Saturday Morning. I was a little worries considering there are a series of questions about where you would be for the quarantine period.  There was an option to select "I have no where to quarantine", so I selected that. I answered the rest of the questions, and I was accepted to be allowed to cross the border. On Monday morning (the day I crossed the border), I got my Covid test at Walgreens. Pro Tip: if you are going to cross the border, do it at a box type pharmacy (Walgreens, CVS, etc). They submit the cost of the test right to insurance. All other places you have to pay upwards of $150 for the same test, with a receipt in hopes that insurance will reimburse you. BTW: I tested negative for Covid. 

I was wondering about that, because I only planned on being there for a few hours, and the app would not take a USA address for your quarantine location.  I looked up hotels in the area, found one that had rooms available for the required 14 days and entered their info, just in case they asked.  

Getting into Canada took almost an hour at the Thousand Islands bridge.  When we pulled up, only three lanes open, by time we got through, they had 5 lanes open.  Still it seemed like we were in the picky border guard line because all other lanes were moving quicker.  Turns out a lot of the returning Canadians had not filled out or done the ArriveCAN app.  We had, and literally spend less than 90 seconds at the booth.  (no Covid testing is needed now, which is why we went) 

Edited by Just Jack
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.