How much to play Allen and the starters in the preseason?

20 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Wow- 

interesting considering he’s a young QB In a totally new offense. 

If he doesn’t play, josh doesn’t need to play. But I have a feeling that he will, in game 3.

It's honestly the smart thing to do. I don't want Josh playing a single snap in pre-season. 

12 minutes ago, dakrider said:

Since only 3 games and a 2 week period before reg season starts - should play 1st Qtr of each game imo. 

He’s definitely out tomorrow so we are only looking at games 2 and 3 now. I think it depends a lot on Dawkins. I probably would play him a series in game 3 as long as the starting OL is out there. It’s at home, give him a warm up, then get ready for week 1.

Since we now have a 17 game season, AND since we are for sure making the playoffs, I'd consider using regular season week 1 as the true tune-up game, since we dont NEED it.

As far as starters, sometimes you have to play them in preseason, just to see how the fringe players actually perform alongside real NFL players.

Bottom line: 

1) zero JA17 until Dawkins is back to game shape.  If that's not until week 1, so be it

2) Mitch needs time with starting WRs a little.  Just a little.

3) zero Tremaine Edmunds.  There isnt anything he does in this D that will make/break any evaluation for any other defender (unlike Mitch with the WR1s).  And plus too, I dont need him injured in a 'contract' year

4) zero Tre White.  Let the scrub corners play a lot.

Edited by maddenboy

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I just don't think there's anything to gain from it. Not when you have an elite player like that. 

Agreed.

Last year there were no preseason games at all, and quarterbacking around the league was still at a high level.

If anything, I'd say the 2020 preseason-less year shows that preseason games aren't necessary at all for established players. Their only real purpose seems to be settling position battles and determining the 53-man roster.

It would be cool if there could be some kind of Summer league like the NBA has, where rosters of young guys and hopefuls face off against each others, while the established starters and stars of the league don't have to risk their bodies in meaningless games.

1 minute ago, Logic said:

Agreed.

Last year there were no preseason games at all, and quarterbacking around the league was still at a high level.

If anything, I'd say the 2020 preseason-less year shows that preseason games aren't necessary at all for established players. Their only real purpose seems to be settling position battles and determining the 53-man roster.

It would be cool if there could be some kind of Summer league like the NBA has, where rosters of young guys and hopefuls face off against each others, while the established starters and stars of the league don't have to risk their bodies in meaningless games.

Yup, just not worth the risk at all. I mean I guess if my QB were to get hurt I'd rather it be in a meaningful game