Slot Recievers - McKenzie / Cole

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

I do think he has backed himself into a corner somewhat. Will be interesting to see what happens. 

Wasn't there an article few days ago that said MCD spoke to him about it and it "would be fine" or something? I honestly just kinda skimmed through it. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

Wasn't there an article few days ago that said MCD spoke to him about it and it "would be fine" or something? I honestly just kinda skimmed through it. 

I hope he plays. The Bills will be better for him being out there.

Just now, GunnerBill said:

I hope he plays. The Bills will be better for him being out there.

Yeah would really catch me off guard if he doesn't. But yeah for sure Bills need him on the field. If he isn't it will be a very noticeable difference...

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have never thought McKenzie was on the bubble. 

You don't think a guy making around the vet minimum is on the bubble when guys like Breida, Hodgins, Stevenson etc. are around? He'll probably make the team but he certainly isn't a lock.

Just now, Boxcar said:

You don't think a guy making around the vet minimum is on the bubble when guys like Breida, Hodgins, Stevenson etc. are around? He'll probably make the team but he certainly isn't a lock.

I disagree. I would consider him to be a lock. Unless major injury of course.

4 hours ago, The Firebaugh Kid said:

The Bills are not cutting Cole friggin Beasley.

The media saying it is one thing, they love nothing more than mounting that high horse and shouting at all the little people, but Bills fans? Were they even watching the games last year?

3 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

McKenzie in a way is like our current #2 CB, always in competition for his job, and always winning the position, I would not count him out, as it were.

Go Bills!!!

That's a good way to look at him.  Every season, people are counting him out, and every season he's there in September. 

2 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

The media saying it is one thing, they love nothing more than mounting that high horse and shouting at all the little people, but Bills fans? Were they even watching the games last year?

It's just one of those things where they try to make something out of nothing. They are just trying to make a story about it just for the sole purpose of what Beasley said.

Just now, Shaw66 said:

That's a good way to look at him.  Every season, people are counting him out, and every season he's there in September. 

Yup, I stated upthread about the last 2 or 3 seasons there wasn'tmuch to him. He made it back each season. Now with the season he just had and add in that Daboll seems to have figured a way to use him better and get him the ball, No way he isn't on the 53. 

26 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

I'm not the most up to date, but I don't recall seeing anything about Cole.  My eyes glaze over with the press trying to make news of the COVID stuff.   I found it hard to understand what Beasley was saying with his tweets that caused the uproar in the first place.  Still, I expect he'll be on the roster and playing in September, either vaccinated or living with whatever COVID restrictions there are.  

8 minutes ago, Boxcar said:

I think a guy who has proven he can do a number of things the Bills value who they have brought back two offseasons running is going to make the roster. Lock? No. But he is in the middle category of guys who very much have a job to lose. Bubble guys are guys who need to win a job. The three guys you mention are all bubble guys IMO. For McKenzie not to be the Bills 5th or 6th receiver both Stevenson and Hodgins will have to overtake him. I think that is a long shot. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I'm not the most up to date, but I don't recall seeing anything about Cole.  My eyes glaze over with the press trying to make news of the COVID stuff.   I found it hard to understand what Beasley was saying with his tweets that caused the uproar in the first place.  Still, I expect he'll be on the roster and playing in September, either vaccinated or living with whatever COVID restrictions there are.  

I recall seeing that article on yahoo. I just assumed someone posted it here. Although I haven't seen it here, yet anyway. I guess I should have posted it when I saw it.

5 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

No way he isn't on the 53. 

As I said above, I wouldn't be so sure.  It's all about competition.  He fought his way onto the roster a few years ago, and he could lose his spot the same way.   

If Beasley plays, with Sanders, Davis, and Diggs, there are only two or three wideout spots left.   If Stevenson wins the punt return job and can run jet sweeps, McKenzie could be in trouble - not because he isn't good enough, but because someone else looks better.  

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think a guy who has proven he can do a number of things the Bills value who they have brought back two offseasons running is going to make the roster. Lock? No. But he is in the middle category of guys who very much have a job to lose. Bubble guys are guys who need to win a job. The three guys you mention are all bubble guys IMO. For McKenzie not to be the Bills 5th or 6th receiver both Stevenson and Hodgins will have to overtake him. I think that is a long shot. 

See I do think he's a lock. Everything you and I have already mentioned but also add in that he may very well be called upon for ST depending on the situation. I think he could be PR/KR if a man goes down.

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Yup, I counted him out two seasons ago, shows what I know… 😁

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Yup, I counted him out two seasons ago, shows what I know… 😁

Lol, well I did too to be honest. But that was before we found out how awful K.B, Z. Jones and co. really were. Looking back now, I would take  McKenzie over each and every WR on the roster that year, although he was there, he didn't see many opportunities.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

For McKenzie not to be the Bills 5th or 6th receiver both Stevenson and Hodgins will have to overtake him. I think that is a long shot. 

That's where I disagree.  Hodgins already showed promise, and it's easy to see him as a better downfield receiver than McKenzie.  All that has to happen is Stevenson has to win the punt return job.  If he does, he certainly can run the jet sweep. 

What McKenzie has going for him is experience.   He knows how to make all the necessary reads, he knows the audibles, he knows the blocking assignments - all better than I'd expect Stevenson can this season.  Still, I wouldn't call it a longshot.   Veterans get cut every year.  

24 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

No way. Very hard for me to see that. Why do you think that?

age. Sanders is like 35, and if the younger guys really shine— like Hodgins, Gentry, McKenzie, and Stevenson— it’s going to be tough to keep an aging vet over these younger guys. 

my gut feel too is that Sanders is like right on the edge of jumping the shark. Will be curious what he looks like on camp. 

• Like (+1) 2