DeSantis For President in 2024?

16 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

and 70/30?  what was that conjecture based on.  Indigestion?

Desantis, from what I have observed poses a real existential threat to your thought leaders. He comes from the same institutions as your thought leaders but has traditional views and couches it in pragmatic lexicon. Worse, he’s got multiple policy wins under his belt and came out on the more american side of lockdowns and mandates. 

he might be the Republican Obama 

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

Oh, I thought we were just making stuff up. Was just following your cue. 

Maybe I am missing the point you are making, why are you for schools putting sexually explicit books into children hands if not to sexualize them? These books are still at the main library if parents want to check them out and give them to kids.

2 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Maybe I am missing the point you are making, why are you for schools putting sexually explicit books into children hands if not to sexualize them? These books are still at the main library if parents want to check them out and give them to kids.

1. I am not for sexualizing children

2. I contest the idea that all of these books are sexual (see: the penguin book)

3. My ENTIRE POINT is that these decisions should be made by the schools, parents and community, NOT the government. 

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Desantis, from what I have observed poses a real existential threat to your thought leaders. He comes from the same institutions as your thought leaders but has traditional views and couches it in pragmatic lexicon. Worse, he’s got multiple policy wins under his belt and came out on the more american side of lockdowns and mandates. 

he might be the Republican Obama 

Is Bibi in his pocket?   cuz he's gonna need that.  It will be interesting to watch how the R money bends with the wind.

1 minute ago, ChiGoose said:

2. I contest the idea that all of these books are sexual (see: the penguin book)

3. My ENTIRE POINT is that these decisions should be made by the schools, parents and community, NOT the government. 

focus on 1 and 3  and This is the most republican post on the site.ever. 

😂 

2 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

The school is the government, apparently you are unaware that us public school teachers are paid by the government. Parents and community are making the decision. As I have stated multiple times the books are still available at the OCLS libraries, once again thanks for confirming you are a simply political hack. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

The school is the government, apparently you are unaware that us public school teachers are paid by the government. Parents and community are making the decision. As I have stated multiple times the books are still available at the OCLS libraries, once again thanks for confirming you are a simply political hack. 

I truly hope you aren't teaching English or Logic.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I don’t understand what the deal is with people on this board just making up ***** about other posters. 

Yes, I recognize the public school employees are government employees.

Can you tell the difference between a local school librarian or administrator deciding the appropriateness of a book (and taking feedback from the community) versus the state making it a crime to stock books that don’t comport to its agenda?

Because if you can’t, then you’re the hack here. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

I don’t understand what the deal is with people on this board just making up ***** about other posters. 

Yes, I recognize the public school employees are government employees.

Can you tell the difference between a local school librarian or administrator deciding the appropriateness of a book (and taking feedback from the community) versus the state making it a crime to stock books that don’t comport to its agenda?

Because if you can’t, then you’re the hack here. 

I keep calling you a hack because you have no idea what the FL is all about. You keep pretending that books are "banned" that are easily available. If my daughter orders a book from OCLS I can see the book title online before it is delivered to my house. If a teacher gives her a book I have no idea and unfortunately about 10% of teachers show poor judgement that way. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Orlando Tim said:

I keep calling you a hack because you have no idea what the FL is all about. You keep pretending that books are "banned" that are easily available. If my daughter orders a book from OCLS I can see the book title online before it is delivered to my house. If a teacher gives her a book I have no idea and unfortunately about 10% of teachers show poor judgement that way. 

So you’re saying that Florida schools are free to stock any books they want in their libraries with no fear of criminal prosecution from the state?

2 minutes ago, ChiGoose said:

So you’re saying that Florida schools are free to stock any books they want in their libraries with no fear of criminal prosecution from the state?

I will expand on OCLS is Orange County Library System which you can order books online for delivery your house. I do understand the confusion with OCPS which is Orange County Public Schools. OCLS can do as you state not OCPS. OCPS, especially at the lower levels, must make sure that books are proper. My high school just bought 140 new books this calendar year, they put out a notice to the public and none were challenged. In the past 18 months only one was removed, a book with a graphic rape scene. Several were challenged mainly do the fact that minorities were the villains in the books such as Idi Amin

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

I will expand on OCLS is Orange County Library System which you can order books online for delivery your house. I do understand the confusion with OCPS which is Orange County Public Schools. OCLS can do as you state not OCPS. OCPS, especially at the lower levels, must make sure that books are proper. My high school just bought 140 new books this calendar year, they put out a notice to the public and none were challenged. In the past 18 months only one was removed, a book with a graphic rape scene. Several were challenged mainly do the fact that minorities were the villains in the books such as Idi Amin

And if the book with the graphic rape scene was not pulled, you think that it would be ok to charge the person responsible with a felony?

1 minute ago, ChiGoose said:

And if the book with the graphic rape scene was not pulled, you think that it would be ok to charge the person responsible with a felony?

Just to be clear-you mean if a person was told by their boss to remove a book and they decided to keep it in the media center? I would fire them. Where did you hear it was felony? That is inaccurate, you will be fired unless it is so bad that it is truly indefensible.