Randy Mueller Wisdom

EC-Bills

From ESPN's insider section:

---------

Bills in a quandary

Coming into this draft, the Buffalo Bills were in an interesting jam because they were trying to get the best value for RB Travis Henry in one of the better running back drafts in recent memory.

Now their options are extremely limited as his value has gone down because the three teams that really wanted him all drafted running backs. The problem with Henry is he only has one year left on his contract, so whichever team gets him will have to pay him big bucks after the season or let him go. He doesn't have the value of a guy who's signed for the next two or three years because he could merely be a rental player. Ultimately, the Bills didn't have much leverage.

Now the Bills have to switch strategies, and maybe their new goal is to use Henry to fill one of the needs they didn't fill in the draft.

Meanwhile, the Seattle Seahawks and Indianapolis Colts are prepared to just go ahead and let their respective running backs (Shaun Alexander and Edgerrin James) stay under a franchise tag for another season. The Colts probably can't commit another $12 million to $15 million signing bonus for a player because the stadium deal is starting to go south a little.

I just don't see teams trading a player or a pick for any of these guys and handing out a big signing bonus. Instead of doing that, they can wait a year and most likely get these guys for just the signing bonus.

--------------

Part of what he's saying make sense, but the I don't grasp the following portion:

Now the Bills have to switch strategies, and maybe their new goal is to use Henry to fill one of the needs they didn't fill in the draft.

Does this mean, Travis is now going to have to play OL? DL? DB? Towel boy? :lol:

From ESPN's insider section:

---------

Bills in a quandary

Coming into this draft, the Buffalo Bills were in an interesting jam because they were trying to get the best value for RB Travis Henry in one of the better running back drafts in recent memory.

Now their options are extremely limited as his value has gone down because the three teams that really wanted him all drafted running backs. The problem with Henry is he only has one year left on his contract, so whichever team gets him will have to pay him big bucks after the season or let him go. He doesn't have the value of a guy who's signed for the next two or three years because he could merely be a rental player. Ultimately, the Bills didn't have much leverage.

Meanwhile, the Seattle Seahawks and Indianapolis Colts are prepared to just go ahead and let their respective running backs (Shaun Alexander and Edgerrin James) stay under a franchise tag for another season. The Colts probably can't commit another $12 million to $15 million signing bonus for a player because the stadium deal is starting to go south a little.

I just don't see teams trading a player or a pick for any of these guys and handing out a big signing bonus. Instead of doing that, they can wait a year and most likely get these guys for just the signing bonus.

--------------

Part of what he's saying make sense, but the I don't grasp the following portion:

Does this mean, Travis is now going to have to play OL? DL? DB? Towel boy?  :lol:

320131[/snapback]

I think a lot of people are missing two important points with regard to Travis:

1.Willis has blown out a knee TWICE. He has an injury history and he has an upright running style that lends itself to injuries like the one he suffered in the Fiesta Bowl vs. Ohio State. It's very conceivable that Willis could get hurt and Travis could come in and rush for 1500 yards and save the Bills playoff bacon. The Bills have a first year starter at QB, they can't afford to be lining up Joe Burns behind him on Sundays.

2.What is the big loss not having AT MOST an extra third round pick? Those third round picks have been such a bounty for the Bills afterall. Could they go on without last years 3rd rounder, Tim Anderson? How difficult would it have been to replace the contributions of Ron Edwards the last 3 seasons? Coy Wire? This draft was weaker than those three drafts, so I don't foresee having missed out on the next Jonas Jennings. In summary, BFD. Teams wanted to steal Henry, and given the risk of the scenario above, I agree with Donahoe that it wasn't worth it. We'll see who's yucking it up when JJ Arrington is a bust(he will be), Ryan Moats isn't an answer and when Chris Brown is hurt again all season for Tennessee. They made "on paper" decisions and IMO, they are likely to regret it when they can't move the ball on the ground next year. ;)

I think a lot of people are missing two important points with regard to Travis:

1.Willis has blown out a knee TWICE.  He has an injury history and he has an upright running style that lends itself to injuries like the one he suffered in the Fiesta Bowl vs. Ohio State.  It's very conceivable that Willis could get hurt and Travis could come in and rush for 1500 yards and save the Bills playoff bacon.  The Bills have a first year starter at QB, they can't afford to be lining up Joe Burns behind him on Sundays.

2.What is the big loss not having AT MOST an extra third round pick?  Those third round picks have been such a bounty for the Bills afterall.  Could they go on without last years 3rd rounder, Tim Anderson?  How difficult would it have been to replace the contributions of Ron Edwards the last 3 seasons?  Coy Wire?  This draft was weaker than those three drafts, so I don't foresee having missed out on the next Jonas Jennings.  In summary, BFD.  Teams wanted to steal Henry, and given the risk of the scenario above, I agree with Donahoe that it wasn't worth it.  We'll see who's yucking it up when JJ Arrington is a bust(he will be), Ryan Moats isn't an answer and when Chris Brown is hurt again all season for Tennessee.  They made "on paper" decisions and IMO, they are likely to regret it when they can't move the ball on the ground next year.      :lol:

320178[/snapback]

badol, i see where you're coming from, but doesn't henry strike you as the kind of guy who will refuse to show up next year and go to the mats vs. donohoe? maybe i'm wrong, but that's what i see him doing. there have been a lot of seemingly credible rumors floating around that he refused to play at the end of last year even though he could.

badol, i see where you're coming from, but doesn't henry strike you as the kind of guy who will refuse to show up next year and go to the mats vs. donohoe? maybe i'm wrong, but that's what i see him doing. there have been a lot of seemingly credible rumors floating around that he refused to play at the end of last year even though he could.

320184[/snapback]

I wonder how much of that is Henry, and how much is his agent Hadley Engelstupid. The folks who met him after the Arizona game last year -- and watched him make a total fool of himself -- think Travis could probably beat him on the Wonderlic. Unless dear Hadley gets smarter after he sobers up....

In Madden 2005, Travis Henry coexisted well with McGahee and they relished playing in double back sets.

320186[/snapback]

Well hells bells, if they're going to relish playing in double back sets, it's good that we kept them both.

Is that "REAL DEAL" Roscoe Parrish or "Hollywood" Tony Everett in your avatar, Johnny?

I wonder how much of that is Henry, and how much is his agent Hadley Engelstupid. The folks who met him after the Arizona game last year -- and watched him make a total fool of himself -- think Travis could probably beat him on the Wonderlic. Unless dear Hadley gets smarter after he sobers up....

320190[/snapback]

lori - TH did in fact hire him (he's his second agent, i think). great minds often think alike. as for engelhard, i checked out his agency's pathetic excuse for a website -- they don't have much except for some nfl scrubs, a fading dorsey levens, and TH. clearly, TH is their chance to make some cash and a name for themselves if they get anything close to what they want. that's why i don't expect henry to be anything but recalcitrant come this season. remember, he really does think his job was unjustly taken from him, and he's not in any mood to see the other side of the argument (i.e., that teams need to two good running backs, that mcgahee is better than him, etc.). that guy is looking out for #1. next year he'll be 27 and 2 long seasons removed from paydirt glory. his price tag will inevitably go down if he is a backup in buffalo this year.

320184[/snapback]

I really don't care if Travis likes it or not. He can play, or he can sit out, it doesn't matter. The Bills weren't offered much, it wasn't worth making a deal. Quarterback controversies are serious issues, RB ones, are NOT. Especially when it's not an issue who the best back is and when that backup is well paid.

I'm not a big believer that it's good for a team to be on cruise control anyway. It doesn't hurt to give the Boss reason to show the pack who's in charge. Remember how upset the Patriots were about Lawyer Milloy getting cut? SUPER BOWL. I think a little discomfort and the knowledge that the coach/GM aren't going to be lead by the nose is a good thing.

In Madden 2005, Travis Henry coexisted well with McGahee and they relished playing in double back sets.

320186[/snapback]

Really?!? I always traded Henry so not to disrupt my team chemistry and get some picks in return. :lol:

Really?!?  I always traded Henry so not to disrupt my team chemistry and get some picks in return.  :lol:

320221[/snapback]

Actually Ryan Denney usually caused the most locker room strife. Izell Rease would B word a lot, but most players just payed him no mind.

I really don't care if Travis likes it or not.  He can play, or he can sit out, it doesn't matter.  The Bills weren't offered much, it wasn't worth making a deal.  Quarterback controversies are serious issues, RB ones, are NOT.  Especially when it's not an issue who the best back is and when that backup is well paid. 

I'm not a big believer that it's good for a team to be on cruise control anyway.  It doesn't hurt to give the Boss reason to show the pack who's in charge.  Remember how upset the Patriots were about Lawyer Milloy getting cut?  SUPER BOWL.  I think a little discomfort and the knowledge that the coach/GM aren't going to be lead by the nose is a good thing.

320219[/snapback]

fair enough, but the pats did CUT milloy (i.e., get rid of a perceived problem). it was salary-related, to be sure, but all the same they get rid of guys that aren't going to help them. keeping henry on the team to screw him seems pointless. if you want to screw him, why not simply cut him in late august? the best he'll get is a sub $1 million contract, and he'll have been taught his lesson. he'll be of more use to the bills in that sense than in his present state.

Actually Ryan Denney usually caused the most locker room strife.  Izell Rease would B word a lot, but most players just payed him no mind.

320228[/snapback]

Yeah, I could see that about Denney considering he was under the honor code at BYU for so long. Usually my biggest problem was Sobieski always holding out for more money.

This one seems real easy. Keep Travis unless we get a deal that makes sense (better than a 3rd rounder). I am much more worried about guys with long-term contracts having attitude problems than bankrupt guys in their option year. He has no choice but to come to camp, show good attitude and contribute. It is completely in his self interest to do so. Anything less and he is just another fumbling headcase that no team will give top dollar too.

Is he going to be a "locker room problem"? Not if Willis is performing. He wont have a case to make. I don't understand at all the philosophy of "let's just get rid of this guy".

If we could sign a 1300 yard, 27 year old running back to a 1.5 mill contract to back up Willis (who we all know could get hurt again), we would banging on Donohoe's door to get it done.

Travis signed the contract, there is no provision that he MUST be the starter. Let him hold out from the mini-camps. It allows him to save his pride and we will be running a similar offense as last year. He can pick it up in the real training camp and he will, because he can not afford not to.

I checked out Englehard's website. The website itself is a joke, looks like someone used aolpress 2.0 or something to make it back in like 1998. However, his client list is not comprised ENTIRELY of scrubs.

And theres no way Henry would ever get a better deal than the one Hadley stole from the jets for DeWayne Robertson. "The next Sapp!!" he was called coming into the draft. WHen are people going to learn that it's a bad idea to draft players from Kentucky high in the first round.

Notable Englehard Clients:

Henry

Robertson

Dorsey Levens(who is crap now anyhow)

Pro Bowl KR Allen Rossum

DE Robert Mathis(he may get a good contract sometime in the next 2 years).

This one was my absolute favorite though:

Joe Hamilton

Quarterback, Indianapolis Colts

(1999 Heisman Trophy Runner-Up)

The guy is an absolute nobody in the pros, its been 5 years since he came in 2ND for the Heisman, on a team with Travis Henry no less, but htey still have to say that, like some GM will just be surfing the web and say, "wow, i didnt know that, let's bring that guy in!".

He also has the eagles practice squad quarterback. And did the links for the clients of his in other sports not work for anyone else? Implying that he has no other sports clients.

fair enough, but the pats did CUT milloy (i.e., get rid of a perceived problem).

320233[/snapback]

They cut him, but not to get rid of a perceived problem. They cut him because he wouldn't take a paycut. He thought he was going to show Belicheck that they couldn't make him take a paycut because he was a team leader. Belicheck showed him otherwise.

Cutting Henry would have exactly the opposite effect.