June 1st Cuts: Who may be available?

MUTiger

Any idea who might be available after June 1st?

318715[/snapback]

pretty much no one. teams have figured out how to manage the cap well enough that the cuts come once free agency starts these days. teams have learned that bouncing dead cap money into next season creates messes. seriously, i doubt anyone even passable comes across the wire.

pretty much no one. teams have figured out how to manage the cap well enough that the cuts come once free agency starts these days. teams have learned that bouncing dead cap money into next season creates messes.  seriously, i doubt anyone even passable comes across the wire.

318811[/snapback]

I think this is not correct.

1. Teams have figured out that even when you manage the cap well, it still means that there will be difficult decisions where you have to cut players you would prefer not to cut who have something left.

It is in mining these players where good pick-ups can be found. An example on the cirrent Bill's roster is Sam Adams, a good players whose cap hit and the presence of cheaper young players resulted in him being out there if he fit your need.

2. Its impossible for a team to manage the cap perfectly because they are not the only party making decisions about their cap performance.

Not only does playing the cap game well result in the availability of these type of players but since it takes two to make a deal, a team can play the cap game well and because a player refuses to play a long a good player can become available. An example of this on the current Bills roster is Lawyer Milloy. Fespite BB miscalculating the Milloy situation badly no one can credibly charge him with being unable to manage the cap, but even he made a mistake and a good contributing player was out there.

3. The needs of teams are different and this allows a team to beneficially sign a player another team beneficially cut.

One could argue that the Bills correctly cut Larry Centers because the availability of Sam Gash provided the Bills with a better option for running the smash mouth game (though Kevin Killdrive never employed him properly). However, Centers was picked up quickly by another team because he improved their roster by signing this high character guy who set a good tone as a self-motivated worjout warrior the youngsters needed to see.

Not only can cap casualty cut/signings be mutually beneficial, but players get cut for non-football reasons when they still have something to offer another team on the field. Larry Centers could still catch the ball and ran better than ever in his final year as a Bill. However, he seemed to have been cut by the Bills and hit the market at least in part as TD sent a clear message to GW who said publicly that Centers would remain a Bill as long as he wanted that it was TD who made the contract decisions and within a week of the GW pronouncement Centers was gone.

Likewise LJ Shelton. Maybe his ankle is the reason the Bills seemed to have passed, but clearly his bad relationship with Denny Green is part of his coming availability.

it strikes me as flat out incorrect to claim that all NFL teams have solved the cap riddle.

If anything, the Bills may not mine this route because with the loss of only 3 starters (1 of whom is definitiely replaced) we may not have an opening that can be filled by what likely will be some fairly interesting June 1st cuts.

Any idea who might be available after June 1st?

318715[/snapback]

Kenny Mixon just got cut as well. DE starter in for the Vikings. And after reading about his work off the field, coupled with the fact that he is old, the Bills should come a callin.

"Mixon, who had 46 tackles and 2½ sacks last season, ran into trouble off the field several times in his three seasons with the Vikings.

He was suspended for two games last season for violating the league's substance abuse policy and also was arrested for drunken driving three times in a 16-month span.

if i remember correctly.....LT Scott Gragg from the 49ers is expected to be released.

not sure he would be an upgrade from what the Bills have now however.

318990[/snapback]

I doubt the Bills will pick up any "name" OL help from the June 1 cuts. McNally seems like a coach who likes to mold his younger guys into what he wants, rather than take older guys developed in another system.

Look at the Giants OL the last few years J-Mac was there...they sure could have used some experienced cast offs, but kept going with no-name low round/UDFA types (which, to be honest, didn't work all that well in retrospect).

I doubt the Bills will pick up any "name" OL help from the June 1 cuts.  McNally seems like a coach who likes to mold his younger guys into what he wants, rather than take older guys developed in another system. 

Look at the Giants OL the last few years J-Mac was there...they sure could have used some experienced cast offs, but kept going with no-name low round/UDFA types (which, to be honest, didn't work all that well in retrospect).

319065[/snapback]

I'm a McNally fan. He worked a long time for the B'gals and constructed fine OL's for them, leaving a few years after owner Mike Brown named himself GM when his father died.

I doubt the Bills will pick up any "name" OL help from the June 1 cuts.  McNally seems like a coach who likes to mold his younger guys into what he wants, rather than take older guys developed in another system. 

319065[/snapback]

Not so sure about that. The SB line included Dusty and Parker

I'm a McNally fan.  He worked a long time for the B'gals and constructed fine OL's for them, leaving a few years after owner Mike Brown named himself GM when his father died.

319084[/snapback]

Of course, it helps when your left tackle is Anthony Munoz. :lol:

Of course, it helps when your left tackle is Anthony Munoz.  :lol:

319443[/snapback]

It seem that with just a few exceptions, the second FA period (june 1) the past couple years has slowed a bit with teams managing their caps a bit better. I don't expect to see any major moves made by the Bills, mainly because unlike when we picked up Malloy, we don't have much cap room to play with at this point and the low number of quality players to be released (based upon recent years).