Police bust 'world's biggest' video-game-cheat operation

TBBills

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-56579449

"A collaborative effort between Chinese police and gaming giant Tencent has led to the closure of what police say is the biggest ever video-game-cheat operation.

The gang designed and sold cheats to popular video games, including Overwatch and Call of Duty Mobile.

Roughly $76m (£55m) in revenue was made by the organisation which charged a subscription fee to clients."

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Does anybody remember the cheat to: "Kid Chameleon?"  So... You can skip right to the Boss (Heady Metal) Level (Plethora)?

Well... Here it for a refresher:

https://kidchameleon.fandom.com/wiki/Plethora_cheat

I remember I went to a bowling alley when I was a teen and these kids were playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the arcade. The one kid had a code for the arcade game for unlimited lives, popped it in for us after they beat the game and let us do it. I forgot he did it for the simpsons game also.

Edited by TBBills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 hours ago, TBBills said:

I remember I went to a bowling alley when I was a teen and these kids were playing Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on the arcade. The one kid had a code for the arcade game for unlimited lives, popped it in for us after they beat the game and let us do it. I forgot he did it for the simpsons game also.

That's much more sophisticated than the method I remember...

A buddy drilled a tiny hole in a quarter, tied some type of wire through it, and on certain machines you could lower the quarter into the coin slot just enough to trip a lever in there to give you a life.

If you did it the right way though, you could pull the quarter back up and then lower it again.

After a few seconds of bobbing the quarter up and down, you could get it up to like 100 lives and play for an hour or 2.  

I remember one time doing this trick with my buddy at a pizza shop (LOL) that had a machine or 2.  The guy working the counter realized what we were doing, came over, unplugged the machine from the wall to reset it, and told us to get lost.

That was all probably like in 1982 or something.  

The good old days.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.