Bills sign Matakevich to 1 yr extension

57 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Yes I realize you need second and third stringers to play teams. I don’t think the RB room is a good place for one of those people to come from, unless this will be the returner because of his speed. 

I'd argue on a team that throws it a lot more than it runs it the RB room is not a bad place for that guy to reside. Our 4th running back is not going to get a huge number of touches. Even with Moss down in the playoffs how many carries did Taiwan Jones get?

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd argue on a team that throws it a lot more than it runs it the RB room is not a bad place for that guy to reside. Our 4th running back is not going to get a huge number of touches. Even with Moss down in the playoffs how many carries did Taiwan Jones get?

When you have two similar running backs, Moss and Singletary, it would be nice to have a third option that provides something different, like speed to the outside. You are welcome to your opinion. 

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

When you have two similar running backs, Moss and Singletary, it would be nice to have a third option that provides something different, like speed to the outside. You are welcome to your opinion. 

Taiwan was our 4th back though. I agree we need a speed back, but that is a separate issue from how we stock our special teams unit.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Not unless he has mushy peas too

Cooked in lard of course.  Worked at RAF Molesworth and staying in small town outside it.  Only thing edible was some deli type prewrapped sandwiches and kipper on Sunday at hotel.  Found out there was a Chinese food place a half mile away so I walked there (no car first trip).  Cook dropped in wok a slab of lard big enough to satisfy a defense lineman.  Paid for my dinner, walked out and dropped take out box outside fast food place.

5 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You realise they don't play the same position on teams that Taiwan Jones plays, right? We will have a couple of players at the backend of the DB, WR and RB depth chart who are there primarily to play teams. 

Not unless he has mushy peas too

I'm only commenting on the last part, but if you guys have never had good mushy peas, you don't know what you're missing. I can eat a straight bowl of that stuff and my wife isn't even using marrowfat peas, which are hard to find.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Taiwan was our 4th back though. I agree we need a speed back, but that is a separate issue from how we stock our special teams unit.

I disagree. If Jones was our fourth back why was he one of three backs dressing on game days? That goes directly towards how you stock your special teams. 

Waste of money.  This team grossly overvalues special teams.  Any street FA or low round draft pick LB can do what Matakevich does.  He had ten tackles all year.  It's only a one year extension so it is not that big a deal but still a waste of resources.  

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I would much rather see them carry an extra LB or DB (especially with some return skills) than a 4th RB to play special teams.  

• Disagree 1

54 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I disagree. If Jones was our fourth back why was he one of three backs dressing on game days? That goes directly towards how you stock your special teams. 

For special teams. How many times in a game this year did the Bills give their third dressed back a touch of the ball? How many times last year? Or the year before? There is no evidence that this team loses anything by dressing Jones and using him as a gunner. If the issue is we lack speed at running back that plays far more to who our #1 and #2 are rather than how we use a third back for special teams. On pure running back roster depth there is even an argument he was the 5th back because Antonio Williams got more touches than him. 

You have to play really good special teams when you are in a division with Bill Belichick because if you don't he will beat you with them. The Bills will need to find a new gunner to play opposite Neal if Jones is not back and that person will take a roster spot somewhere too. 

40 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I would much rather see them carry an extra LB or DB (especially with some return skills) than a 4th RB to play special teams.  

How many linebackers play Jones's position on special teams? I'll wait. 

DB? Sure, indeed our gunner opposite is Siran Neal but then you are using two DB spots on guys to primarily be teams and depth players. One from the defensive side and one from the offensive side makes more sense to me.