'Evil,' 'Corrupt' and 'Brain-Dead'

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, I always thought it was the United States Constitution... :lol:

319412[/snapback]

The Constitution lays out what "We The People" will allow our government to be involved in. Everything else is given to us from God and the government needs to stay out of it. The Bill of Rights is unfortunately used in the way that Hamilton or Madison (I forget which) was afraid it would be used. The Constitution does NOT enumerate the rights that we DO have, it enumerates the "rights" that we allow the government to have.

Let me put it to you this way.  Someone comes up to you and says you are evil and/or corrupt, and/or brain dead.  Or he says F-you.  Pick the more egregious statement.

Your guys are trying to use what Dean said to sully his character.  Do what you want.  But I don't care to hear my VP tell a Senator F-you either.  I don't think much of his character for doing that.  Has nothing to do with where it was said. 

See the difference now?

319403[/snapback]

Dean is sullying his own character. No need for the Reps to do it.

You did not answer my question earlier. Which is worse: slander or cursing?

God IS the highest authority in the justice system.  Our entire system is based on God's law.

No, the CONSTITUTION is the highest authority. It's a secular justice system, not a religious one. If you want to discuss whether or not God is the highest authority in the universe...frankly, that's metaphysics, not law.

And Delay's context in that was that any Justice who refused to recognize God as the highest judicial authority in the country should be impeached and removed from the bench...which is frankly a violation of the First Amendment. What's more, he didn't "say" so...it was the text of a bill he's sponsoring.

I do not know the context of "the Supreme Court has no right to issue findings on the law" - on its face, I'd say that does not make sense because it is the Supreme Court's job to make sure our laws do not violate our Constitution.  I will say that the Supreme Court should not really make international law or laws of other countries the basis for their decisions on our own laws; but I'm not sure if this was the context at all.

319406[/snapback]

The context was that Delay was bitching and creebing about the Supreme Court overturning laws and decisions (specifically, I think it was the Terry Schiavo circus that prompted it) rather than rubber-stamping them (it was in the same bill mentioned above). He was whining that the courts don't implement "the will of the people" and wants to basically slap them down so that they'll toe whatever line Congress establishes for them. Delay conveniently (or ignorantly) forgets that it's the court's job to protect and defend the Constitution, not follow the will of the people. Following the will of the people is Congress' job...but he'd prefer to spend his time shredding Constitutional protections.

Of course, it's technically Delay's job to protect the Constitution too...he did, after all, take an oath to do so. But he seems more interested in theocratic oligarchy than representative democracy to bother...

The Constitution lays out what "We The People" will allow our government to be involved in.  Everything else is given to us from God and the government needs to stay out of it.  The Bill of Rights is unfortunately used in the way that Hamilton or Madison (I forget which) was afraid it would be used.  The Constitution does NOT enumerate the rights that we DO have, it enumerates the "rights" that we allow the government to have.

319418[/snapback]

Really? Whose God? Jesus? Allah? Buddha? David Koresh?

The Constitution does NOT enumerate the rights that we DO have, it enumerates the "rights" that we allow the government to have.

319418[/snapback]

Exactly. And since the judicial system is a branch of the government, it's very existance is mandated by the Constitution, as are the bounds of the judiciary's authority. Hence, the Constitution IS the highest authority in the judicial system.

Dean is sullying his own character. No need for the Reps to do it.

You did not answer my question earlier. Which is worse: slander or cursing?

319419[/snapback]

I guess I didn't see your earlier question.

Who knows what Howard's thinking? He's saying this stuff to fire up his base. I doubt he thinks Repubs are evil in the sense that the Bible describes evil. I've called people evil, but certainly didn't mean it in the Biblical you're going to h*ll way. He called the Repubs corrupt and braindead. I would submit that most politicians are, at one time or another. These are not fightin words, at least not to me, at my advanced age.

Now, you come up to me and say f-you, and you're in trouble.

Cursing is worse in my book, slander would run somewhere behind it.

So if I start spreading the rumor that you molest little girls, that's preferable to calling you a piece of sh--?  :lol:

319475[/snapback]

You can say anything you want about me, so long as you know what the consequences are.

You call me a piece of you-know-what and you'll know the consequences right away.

I guess I didn't see your earlier question.

Who knows what Howard's thinking?  He's saying this stuff to fire up his base.  I doubt he thinks Repubs are evil in the sense that the Bible describes evil.  I've called people evil, but certainly didn't mean it in the Biblical you're going to h*ll way.  He called the Repubs corrupt and braindead.  I would submit that most politicians are, at one time or another.  These are not fightin words, at least not to me, at my advanced age.

Now, you come up to me and say f-you, and you're in trouble.

Cursing is worse in my book, slander would run somewhere behind it.

319472[/snapback]

You think that cursing is worse than accusing someone of committing a crime? :lol:

Which is probably why you're not a diplomat.

319504[/snapback]

Nice segue here....

Anyone bother to notice that the people who are all erect over Dean's comments come from the same side of the aisle as those who dont like John Bolton?

"Nature's God" - the Creator!

For me, at a minimum, Jesus, God, and Allah are all the "same" God.

319601[/snapback]

Which is why the CONSTITUTION is the ultimate law of the land. The overwhelming number of opinions ("to me") makes that inherently necessary.

Nice segue here....

Anyone bother to notice that the people who are all erect over Dean's comments come from the same side of the aisle as those who dont like John Bolton?

319513[/snapback]

Politics as usual. People have soured on Bush & Company (gas prices out of sight, the handling of the Schaivo situation, religious test for judges, Social Security --you can go on and on) so they want to take it out on someone else. Even Richard Lugar admitted that Bolton is the most controverial Bush nominee.

Let me put it to you this way.  Someone comes up to you and says you are evil and/or corrupt, and/or brain dead.  Or he says F-you.  Pick the more egregious statement.

Your guys are trying to use what Dean said to sully his character.  Do what you want.  But I don't care to hear my VP tell a Senator F-you either.  I don't think much of his character for doing that.  Has nothing to do with where it was said. 

See the difference now?

319403[/snapback]

Seriously, what is so hard about this. The comparision that you make is a silly one at best. The two incidents are not comparable.

What Cheney said was to an individual, it was wrong, but he was not speaking on behalf of his entire party. To further the point he was not setting party agenda with his F-U comment to another man.

On the other hand, dean is indeed speaking on behalf of the dem party. After all he is the dem leader, and it is his words that steer the party, or the party that steers his words. He made these stupid statements about not only individuals, but also about whole groups of people. He considers republicans in general to be evil people. Those are his words. He is not just making a statement to another person with whom he may have had a disagreement or two.

Just to answer your question (even though it has zero relevance to the topic). I have had people say and do both and neither one had any significant impact on my life. Next meaningless question please.

Anyone else find it funny that the republicans who feel this is "slanderous" and out of line are the same ones calling the democrats "damn liberals" and infer communist taints to their policy proposals?

Oh, and I have to ask that one dude up there that said that God was the head of the Justice System: What the !@#$ is the point of the seperation of church and state then?

Anyone else find it funny that the republicans who feel this is "slanderous" and out of line are the same ones calling the democrats "damn liberals" and infer communist taints to their policy proposals?

Oh, and I have to ask that one dude up there that said that God was the head of the Justice System:  What the !@#$ is the point of the seperation of church and state then?

320066[/snapback]

Calling democrats "damn liberals" is the same as being called evil? Pretty thin skinned. If because I'm a republican some one calls me damn conservative. My response? "Why thank you." Why is the left so ashamed of being called liberal?