Bills Sign Ezekiel

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Strengths: Is an experienced and tough MLB prospect that dominated the small school level of competition throughout his four seasons as a fulltime starter. Plays with a rare passion for the game. Few give a better effort. He is one of the toughest players in this year's draft. He has good size, explosive power and shows the ability to consistently hold up in the phone booth. He has outstanding instincts and does a good job of reading his keys and reacting. He is a powerful wrap-up tackler. Has good ball skills if he's in position in coverage and has decent range in zone coverage because of his instincts. Has the perfect makeup to compete on special teams.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal athleticism. Is quick in the short area but the more space he's in the stiffer he looks. His hips lack fluidity and he has trouble changing directions quickly enough. He struggles to recover from false steps and he has marginal speed. He is limited in terms of his range in zone coverage and he also would be a liability in man-to-man coverage against quicker and faster NFL RB's.

Overall: Ezekiel became the first Northeastern player to ever earn All-Atlantic 10 honors as a freshman in 2001, when he played in all but two games and finished with 82 tackles, nine tackles for loss and three sacks. He led the conference in tackles in 2002 with a school-record 145. He started all 12 games as a junior in 2003 and finished with 140 tackles, 10.5 TFL and 5.5 sacks. As a senior in 2004, Ezekiel finished sixth in DI-AA with 122 total tackles, eight TFL and 2.5 sacks. He finished his career as a three-time first-team All-Atlantic 10 honoree. Ezekiel, who played the last five games of the 2002 season with a broken thumb, is one of the toughest linebackers in this class. He has great size and strength. Also, while he doesn't have good top-end speed, he does move well laterally and shows good short-area quickness. Ezekiel's NFL potential is limited by his below average speed and overall lack of ideal athleticism in coverage. However, he has enough experience, size, strength, toughness and quickness to serve as a backup ILB that contributes on special teams in the NFL. We think he's a great value in the final three rounds of the upcoming draft and is the type of player that NFL organizations should want on their roster.

The huddle report on Ezekial:

Strengths

Liam is an extremely intense MLB with marginal talent, but excellent potential to be a starting MLB at the next level. He is a leader and demands the players around him be better. He understands his limitations, but does not except them. He knows only one way to play and he plays that way with all of his heart.

Needs to Improve

He has talent; however, in his zeal to just play the damn game, he is not allowing it to benefit him. He needs some good coaching from a coach that he respects.

Bottom Line

If you need a MLB in a year or two (and everyone does), do not be a fool and pass this kid up in the second day of this draft. If you are looking for him to throw up some great workout numbers, Fuhgeddaboutit -- it’s not going to happen. He is a search and destroy type of LB that will always play better than he works out. Just look at the film and you’ll see an attitude that is missing from many players in the NFL. He is a smart player that doesn’t get fooled easily. He is not the best in pass defense, but get him a good LB coach and I bet in a year or two you won’t even notice. Use him on your goal line defense and watch him make plays. Head up, wrap up, squeeze and drive -- don’t make a mistake, he will smack you in the eye. Remember the difference between a great LB, a good LB and a mamby-pamby LB is intensity. Every RB in the NFL is going to remember meeting this kid…you can bet on it!

PFW profile:

Positives: Thickly built. Instinctive. Keys & diagnoses, and gets to the ball quickly. Motor is always running. Uses his hands well to shed. Great effort and hustle. Solid wrap-up tackler who will strike a blow. Tough, aggressive and very competitive. Outstanding work habits. Bench pressed 225 pounds a linebacker-best 36 times at the Combine.

Negatives: Lacks great size. Not explosive. Too stiff and struggles to change direction. Over-pursues and takes himself out of plays. Gets locked up and stuck on blocks. Marginal cover skills. Does not get great depth in his drops. Lacls the speed to match up with NFL backs. Has not faced top competition.

Summary: May have a chance as a two-down tackle-to-tackle ILB at the next level and could be drafted late, but translating outstanding college production will not be easy. Reminds scouts of Seahawks LB Isaiah Kacyvenski and will need to prove himself on special teams before earning a job.

The guy looks friggin scary...he's got a Jason Vorehees stance in that one picture.

317497[/snapback]

You'll love this story, then! :(

http://www.nu-news.com/news/2004/11/17/New...er-807906.shtml

Linebacker receives suspension after incident with kicker

By Max Lederman & Jeff Powalisz

Published: Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Article Tools: Page 1 of 1

Liam Ezekiel, a senior linebacker for the Northeastern football team and the newly-crowned all-time Division I-AA leading tackler, has been suspended indefinitely from the team following an incident in practice last Thursday, the Athletics Department announced.

An anonymous e-mail sent to The Northeastern News Monday said the incident culminated when Ezekiel allegedly blindsided kicker Miro Kesic after practice in the locker room, causing him to hit his head on a sharp object, knocking him unconscious. Kesic confirmed the contents of the e-mail.

Kesic was then taken to the hospital where he received 13 staples to the head, the e-mail said.

An official from the Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center confirmed Kesic was admitted to the emergency room Thursday. Also, a Department of Public Safety report said a 22-year-old reported being attacked by another 22-year-old Thursday at Parsons Field.

The e-mail said during practice NU head coach Rocky Hager was forced to intervene in an on-field argument between Ezekiel and Kesic after the two began to banter back and forth. Ezekiel allegedly commented on the fact that Kesic has blown two games for the team this year by missing field goals. According to the e-mail, Kesic responded with an expletive and told Ezekiel to stop missing tackles.

"It was an on-field scuffle that spilled over into the locker room," Hager said.

Hager began working with Ezekiel when he took the helm of the Huskies in February, and said the incident was "totally out of character" for the linebacker.

"I have not had any occasion for him to be anything but a gentleman. The bottom line is he's a good person," Hager said.

Hager said Ezekiel's status for what would be his final game in a Northeastern uniform Saturday against the University of Rhode Island (Parsons Field, 12:30 p.m.) is unknown.

"We're still in the resolution phase of that," Hager said. "I'm hoping all the resolution we need to accomplish can get taken care of. Then we can all move forward and go from there. It's a tough situation, but sometimes we have to do those things."

Former Husky coach Don Brown said after NU's matchup against the University of Massachusetts two weeks ago that his former linebacker had a strong shot at the NFL.

"The guy is a great football player," Brown said. "He's got a shot to play in the NFL. There aren't many true middle linebackers in college football, regardless of the level, and he is one. He is a 6-1, 250-pound guy that is born to be a middle linebacker. He has a great career ahead of him."

Ezekiel also told The News several days after the UMass game that he has hopes for a possible future in the NFL.

"It looks pretty good," he said of his chances. "There's going to be a lot of NFL personnel at the outside games. I think I've done enough in my career at NU."

Ezekiel and Athletics Director Dave O'Brien could not be reached for comment on the incident.

thanks I've been pimping this kid since early March. Like BillsGuyInMalta said he reminded me of London when I first read about him, he's all desire and heart. I hope he can make it.

At least he'll give Haggan a run for his money in TC.

More good stuff:

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/arti...l_draft?pg=full

"I'm old enough to remember guys like Dick Butkus and Ray Nitschke, and he's a little bit of a throwback to that type of linebacker," said Rocky Hager, the head coach at Northeastern during Ezekiel's senior year.

"He has that tough, throwback mentality," said Ezekiel's agent, Joe Linta.

thanks I've been pimping this kid since early March. Like BillsGuyInMalta said he reminded me of London when I first read about him, he's all desire and heart. I hope he can make it.

At least he'll give Haggan a run for his money in TC.

317507[/snapback]

Hey, if we don't like him, he'll beat us up! :(

Too much! The kid's got his own website:

http://www.liamezekiel.com/

There's more information on this kid than there is a lot of draft choices. Check out these guns!

http://www.liamezekiel.com/images/ezekielsprint500pxhigh.jpg

http://www.liamezekiel.com/quotes.asp

Jack Grinold - Sports Information Director, Northeastern University (Reported by John Connolly/Boston Herald)

..one longtime Ohio football watcher in the press box asked if "they fed raw meat to number 51." :(

He's even got a nickname: "Lame 'em Liam" :lol: