Offseason Primer Position Group: LB

MAJBobby

This unit should be turned over. I love Milano and he is a baller, but his injuries are a huge concern to me. I would make an attempt to resign him but not break the bank.

Edmunds has me concerned:

https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-trade-with-ravens-to-draft-tremaine-edmunds-0ap3000000929043

Tremaine Edmunds is ranked No. 6 on NFL Newtork draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah's list of top 50 prospects.

"He does anything you want," one scout told BobMcGinnFootball.com. "He can run, he can stack, he can use his arms, he's got eyes and he's a great person. A slam dunk."

Jeremiah believes Edmunds offers All-Pro ability with "outrageous" upside. He not only rushes the passer, but also matches up with tight ends and scat backs in coverage. "He dissects a play and hits the destroy button" is how NFL Network analyst Steve Smith put it.

https://nfldraftbible.com/scouting-report-tremaine-edmunds-olb-virginia-tech/

A freak of nature athletically, you can go years without finding a prospect with his athletic make-up. His 4.54 straight-line speed is evident on tape, as he shows to be a rangy backer with the length to chase down any play. The Hokie linebacker is very fluid for his stature, as he lined up over slot receivers and tracked runners out of the backfield, allowing him to be an every-down backer. His frame, which can likely add weight and quickness, is what makes him a very dangerous blitzer. He can shoot through gaps and even when he doesn’t make it home, he’s a tough object to throw over. Edmunds does look more natural and instinctive coming off the edge than when reading and diagnosing in the middle of the field. He can be a step slow diagnosing plays and doesn’t seem to have the natural instincts you see in most All-Pro inside linebackers. He gets fooled by play action and can be deceived by the quarterback’s eyes, which has led to some glaring miscues on the field. At times, his speed works against him as he over runs plays and takes himself out of position. He can struggle to fight through interior blockers on run plays but in a pass-heavy league teams will be willing to overlook that.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2018/04/26/tremaine-edmunds-buffalo-bills-trade-second-pick-nfl-draft-linebacker/556693002/

NFL Draft Scout analyst Rob Rang said of Edmunds, “It isn’t often that you come across traditional off-ball linebackers with Edmunds’ exciting blend of size, instincts and speed. He is still a bit rough around the edges – attacking with reckless abandon and occasionally leaving holes for savvy ball-carriers to exploit - but he possesses the upside to warrant first round consideration, projecting as a future starter and potential difference-maker.”

3 years in and I'm not sure I have seen enough. At this point I would rather pay Milano $13.5 million than Edmunds. I would see if we can make a play for and LB/Edge guy who may become a cap casualty cut if the cap does stay around $176 (I know there was a report last month saying it could rise to $200 million).  If Edmunds Stays he needs to move outside and we need to find a better MLB. JMO

4 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

This unit should be turned over. I love Milano and he is a baller, but his injuries are a huge concern to me. I would make an attempt to resign him but not break the bank.

Edmunds has me concerned:

https://www.nfl.com/news/bills-trade-with-ravens-to-draft-tremaine-edmunds-0ap3000000929043

Tremaine Edmunds is ranked No. 6 on NFL Newtork draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah's list of top 50 prospects.

"He does anything you want," one scout told BobMcGinnFootball.com. "He can run, he can stack, he can use his arms, he's got eyes and he's a great person. A slam dunk."

Jeremiah believes Edmunds offers All-Pro ability with "outrageous" upside. He not only rushes the passer, but also matches up with tight ends and scat backs in coverage. "He dissects a play and hits the destroy button" is how NFL Network analyst Steve Smith put it.

https://nfldraftbible.com/scouting-report-tremaine-edmunds-olb-virginia-tech/

A freak of nature athletically, you can go years without finding a prospect with his athletic make-up. His 4.54 straight-line speed is evident on tape, as he shows to be a rangy backer with the length to chase down any play. The Hokie linebacker is very fluid for his stature, as he lined up over slot receivers and tracked runners out of the backfield, allowing him to be an every-down backer. His frame, which can likely add weight and quickness, is what makes him a very dangerous blitzer. He can shoot through gaps and even when he doesn’t make it home, he’s a tough object to throw over. Edmunds does look more natural and instinctive coming off the edge than when reading and diagnosing in the middle of the field. He can be a step slow diagnosing plays and doesn’t seem to have the natural instincts you see in most All-Pro inside linebackers. He gets fooled by play action and can be deceived by the quarterback’s eyes, which has led to some glaring miscues on the field. At times, his speed works against him as he over runs plays and takes himself out of position. He can struggle to fight through interior blockers on run plays but in a pass-heavy league teams will be willing to overlook that.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2018/04/26/tremaine-edmunds-buffalo-bills-trade-second-pick-nfl-draft-linebacker/556693002/

NFL Draft Scout analyst Rob Rang said of Edmunds, “It isn’t often that you come across traditional off-ball linebackers with Edmunds’ exciting blend of size, instincts and speed. He is still a bit rough around the edges – attacking with reckless abandon and occasionally leaving holes for savvy ball-carriers to exploit - but he possesses the upside to warrant first round consideration, projecting as a future starter and potential difference-maker.”

3 years in and I'm not sure I have seen enough. At this point I would rather pay Milano $13.5 million than Edmunds. I would see if we can make a play for and LB/Edge guy who may become a cap casualty cut if the cap does stay around $176 (I know there was a report last month saying it could rise to $200 million).  If Edmunds Stays he needs to move outside and we need to find a better MLB. JMO

while I understand where you are coming from I also know he isn’t likely going anywhere. I think they pick up the 5th year option and give him the next year to prove it. (They might not even use the 5th year). But just kind of saying there is an argument as a team IF you think that light is gonna come on, sign him now earlier and cheaper similar to Peters. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

while I understand where you are coming from I also know he isn’t likely going anywhere. I think they pick up the 5th year option and give him the next year to prove it. (They might not even use the 5th year). But just kind of saying there is an argument as a team IF you think that light is gonna come on, sign him now earlier and cheaper similar to Peters. 

I am certain we are keeping him, the coaches love him and his leadership. While leadership is important, thus far the results of his play are 'meh' to my eyes when watching him. I just want more out of him after three years, I get the age aspect and potential; I just want to see something more than potential right now. He isn't great in space and still has trouble disengaging blockers. At what point do you say, the weaknesses in his scouting report that are still there 3 years into his pro career aren't likely to be overcome? I just need results here and I'm not sure it is the light coming on. We have him in the wrong position and he isn't overcoming those weaknesses. Whole Lotta Meh

Edit:

Lots of talk about Von Miller getting released, not sure TB will resign Barrett and there is a feeling that Khalil could be traded and freeing up $5 million in cap space for the Bears who are about $10 million over. Of course we would have to restructure, but I would consider this...

Edited by Reed83HOF

• 1 month later...
23 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

@MAJBobby What happened to these? I loved reading them and it seems that you have done defense only.

I hope you are ok.

Yeah I am good.  I have been traveling alot for work lately havent been able to find the time to write.  I these up.  I got some time the next week I am hoping to knock out the offense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah I am good.  I have been traveling alot for work lately havent been able to find the time to write.  I these up.  I got some time the next week I am hoping to knock out the offense.

Good to hear!! The draft is coming and your knowledge is must needed.

17 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Good to hear!! The draft is coming and your knowledge is must needed.

Yeah I think my travel is wrapped up at least for a couple months at this point, So I will be ready for the draft.