How Good or Bad was our Defense,Really?

21 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Nah Oliver’s been good.... Edmunds is meh. 

The FA additions to the defensive line wasn’t money well spent as they’ve all been underwhelming. That is where the problem has been.

I agree about the FA Carolina additions (posted about this a few times myself). I'll also agree on Edmunds being meh (missed tackles, poor angles), but not what you want from a 1st rounder (Pro Bowls notwithstanding). As for Oliver, not an impact player. Undersized for the position (probably playing out of position). Again, you want to see more from a 1st round pick.

And I believe Epenesa was victimized on the Hines runs (last year's first pick). Not sure why this guy even sees the field.

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Rivers was feeling it. He was anticipating very well. We couldn't get pressure. 

The thing is ?

Colts are a very good team who is very well Coached.

Great football game in so many ways ! McD and Reich were really on their best trying to outfox the other
Micah Hyde had a great day, and Taron Johnson deserves some mention.
we barely won.

But we sure as heck did WIN !

Go Bills

The D was pretty bad. The colts shot themselves in the foot playing conservative all game and grinding it out instead of doing what they did in the last 2 scoring drives when down 14. Might've been a different story on the scoreboard

Edited by motorj

Just now, motorj said:

The D was pretty bad. The colts shot themselves in the foot playing conservative all game and grinding it out instead of doing what they did in the last 2 scoring drives when down. Might've a different story on the scoreboard

They took shots deep with good passes. Pittman a couple times.
Using his height advantage , Rivers threw him some nice footballs and he should have made plays.
 D had a rough day with the ineffective Pass Rush. Rivers is a smart cookie

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Yes either you watched a different game or don’t really understand how things work.

So the fact the through 3 quarters when the game was within 1 score the Colts had run for 70 yards on 24 carries (or 2.9 yards per carry) you believe has no bearing at all.  Once the Bills got up by 2 scores in the 4th quarter and shifted how the defense was playing - the Bills gave up 82 yards on 3 carries.  

The Colts got over 60% of their rushing yards on 3 rushes in the 4th quarter when down by 2 scores. 

So yes the overall numbers look bad, but through the first 3 quarters - no they were not getting run over at all.

While that's factually true, I have to disagree with your conclusion. The Bills were not in a prevent defense up 24-10 with 14 minutes to play, and giving up all those rushing yards hurt a lot. That was pretty far from garbage time and nearly cost the Bills the game. The Colts were pretty effective running the ball through the first 3 quarters (outside of goal-to-go) even if they weren't dominating until the 4th. That's pretty typical for big rushing games (not a ton by halftime, and then they explode in the 2nd half). 

You're cherry picking stats by excluding 3 plays that disagree with your conclusion. 

Should the Colts ignore Allen's 3 longest passing plays and say they did a good job keeping him in check by holding him to 250 yards and 1 passing TD ?