Josh Allen named AFC Offensive Player of the Week

YoloinOhio

17 hours ago, Whkfc said:

Baker is not better but he is quietly having one hell of a season i think if all us Bills fans were told that Allen would have the season Baker is having before the season started we would be like great. I did speak to some Browns fans yesterday and they wish they took Allen and totally respect and admit hes legit.

Baker is:

20th in total passing yards

22nd in completions

26th in Completion % for QBs who have played 8 or more games - just ahead of Sam Darnold

#TDs is respectable so he has good weapons who can find the end zone.

Baker may be playing better (quietly), but I would have been a bit disappointed if Allen's 2020 season had improved so little over last season's latter half performance.

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Gotta give props to Singletary after watching this breakdown for his blocking. He knew where the free defender was coming from and more times than not picked him up and did enough to buy Allen the time he needed to make the throw.

You can tell that he has really put in the work on that aspect of his game.

• Like (+1) 4

7 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Watching this there are so many things that you can see growing in Josh’s game and improvements that it is just unbelievable to me.

#1 - Josh gets credit for working in the off-season on his technique and footwork, but he is not getting near enough credit on the film study he must have done.  Watching the 1st play they highlight (Cole’s seam pass) - you get a sense of just how much work he put in.  The recognition of the defense, the leverage of the WRs to decide who is open, the anticipation in how Cole is going to speed up in the route, the ability to move to put himself in the best angle throw, etc.  it was all on display.

#2 - Anticipation throws: You can really see that this year he recognizes the coverage and starts his throws before his WR is uncovered and throws passes into windows that are elite level.  The seam to Beasley is perfect - both he Cole recognize the coverage.  Cole slow plays the route and as they get close to even with the defender - Cole starts ramping up his speed.  Josh recognized what Cole was going to do and starts the throwing motion just as Cole starts to speed up and puts the ball perfectly on him.

#3 - Foot work: The other change that I have seen is the modification of Josh’s footwork and throwing motion.  His rookie year - he threw the ball like a pitcher in the classic QB style.  He would work to get his feet (stride), his hips, and his shoulder all in a classic line where he was throwing the ball.  This allows for get velocity and torque, but he really lacked control and if he slightly over strides or under strides the accuracy of the throw was off.  His throwing motion this year reminds me more of a Shortstop/Third baseman with a more open stance with his feet, but his hips and shoulders still in alignment.  This opens up the hips to get more torque, but has allowed him to control the throws so much better.  He also is able to use the motion to manipulate the defense because he is in a throwing position even as he is running - he is able to mimic the start of throws easily and freeze and move safeties to allow a better throwing window.

#4 - Recognition: The thing that is most striking to me is how quickly he is recognizing defenses and then manipulating the defense.  Last year it started to get better, but this year it is on a whole new level.  Many times with the pre-snap motion - he knows man vs zone, but he also recognizes based on grouping if they are going to try and combo him, trick him, or change things up.  It is more than just is it man coverage because DC are now playing split coverages Man Zone combos and As long as Josh takes what they give him - the coverage has lead to plays like the Davis TD where a small miscommunication is exploited for a TD.  The part that is incredible though is even with the broken coverage on that play - Josh stares at Sherman and gives a motion like he is throwing short holding him and giving Davis free ride to the end zone.  Without using his eyes and motion to hold Sherman - there is a chance for him to get back and break up the play, but that slowed him down and opened everything up to be a breezy TD.

Just amazing see the growth and maturity to match the talent.

Edited by Rochesterfan
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

#3 - Foot work: The other change that I have seen is the modification of Josh’s footwork and throwing motion.  His rookie year - he threw the ball like a pitcher in the classic QB style.  He would work to get his feet (stride), his hips, and his shoulder all in a classic line where he was throwing the ball.  This allows for get velocity and torque, but he really lacked control and if he slightly over strides or under strides the accuracy of the throw was off.  His throwing motion this year reminds me more of a Shortstop/Third baseman with a more open stance with his feet, but his hips and shoulders still in alignment.  This opens up the hips to get more torque, but has allowed him to control the throws so much better.  He also is able to use the motion to manipulate the defense because he is in a throwing position even as he is running - he is able to mimic the start of throws easily and freeze and move safeties to allow a better throwing window.

This is something he worked with Tony Romo. He sought out experts other than his off season coach.

https://www.radio.com/sports/nfl/tony-romo-impressed-by-josh-allen-who-sought-him-for-advice