A Few Thoughts About the Patriots Game, in no particular order

Virgil

2 hours ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

Not necessarily.  I wouldnt be shocked if he hangs it up this year.   I dont think they will be able to draft for Lawrence or Feilds this year.   What does BB have left to prove (beyond the fact it was BB and not Brady that lead to success.  

You answered your own question.

Belichick jr's hair is ridiculous.  

Beane signing Klein for 6M is ridiculous. If a practice  squad guy doesn't make a huge play we probably lose that game. How does it take Sean McDermott so frickin long to identify Meyers as the only target and not put White on him. That game felt so weird. No Brady, Gronk or Gilmore to rub their noses in it. No fans to go nuts celebrating. I guess I'm more of a "down the road" guy. A win is a win albeit ugly. But the flaws I see on this team will rear their ugly heads later this year. I guarantee it unless changes and acquisitions are made.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

19 hours ago, Virgil said:

7 - Allen - I hate to keep talking about the wind and the offensive scheme, but it's safe to say that any evaluation of Allen has to take those into consideration.  However, I think Allen overall played a solid game today and, more importantly, never seemed confused or raddled by the Pats defense.  His interception was a mis-play by Diggs.  Davis dropped a wide open touchdown pass that was a great play by Allen.  Josh had a few solid runs and took what was given.  His one deep shot missed, but I liked the shot.  There was a deep crossing route to Diggs that Diggs claimed to have his arm held, which would have extended a drive, but never saw a replay.  Overall, not a great game but also not a bad game.  I loved seeing the fire in Josh on his rushing TD and can't wait until the rematch in New England.

9 - The Hoodie - I've never hidden my disdain for the Cheat as I find him to be a poor example of winning at all costs.  You can call BS all you want, but I would trade one Super Bowl ring if it meant him being our coach.  His system only works when they win, and it's clear that's what earns him such a long leash with the players.  I've wondered if a primary reason for all their opts outs this season were because of the culture he creates.  I think his ego is ridiculous.  I think his son being on the defensive staff is ridiculous.  I still remember Brady throwing bombs to Moss in their 16-0 season because they were going for records.  I think about his press conferences, the way he pushes the rule book, and just overall demeanor.  I can go on forever, but it incensed me when they ran draws on 3rd and long, showing they had no respect for our offense.  His offensive kick backfiring into a touchdown felt amazing.  His timeouts while we were taking a knee rubbed me the wrong way too.  Yes, I'm bias in my dislike of him, and I couldn't be happier to see him walk off the field a loser today.

Go Bills!

Nice job, VIrg.  A lot of good things you put up this week, especially that opening about Division games.  I wanted to comment on two points. 

First, Allen.  I think it's funny that there's no one posting today about Allen being a project, a waste, not good enough, anything.  The fact of the matter is that Allen played an excellent game.   He was in command of the offense, and nothing much that the defense through at him seemed to trouble him.  He's really growing up as a field general, and that's bad news for the rest of the league. 

As for Belichick, I couldn't disagree much more.  Belichick isn't really a cheater.  He's just an amoral guy who pushes the envelope.   He studies the rules and tries to find ways to gain an advantage playing within the rules.   He's a guy with an incredible love for football and fascination for the nuances of the game.   He has great appreciation for the talents of the best players on the field, whether they are on his team or the other team.   And he has demonstrated an ability above all others who ever have coached to find ways to win games.   He is all about winning.

Belichick is very much like Nick Saban, and each of them is equally dislikable in terms of a public personality.  They both are quite like Geno Auriemma, who is disliked by many for the same reasons.   Gregg Popovich is the only guy I can think of who seems to be their equal in terms of mastery of the game but who someone manages to continue to be a likable gentleman.   Even Popovich has often been a difficult man to interview.  

I had no problem with Belichick taking the timeouts.   Who knows what's going to happen?   Call the timeouts and require the Bills to execute the simplest play in football correctly a couple of times.   Maybe someone will have a brain fart and the ball will come free.  Who knows?   

As for the onside kick, I think Belichick misjudged the extent to which his team was taking over the game.  There was no need to risk giving the Bills the short field, because the Bills were not going to be able to stop the Pats for the rest of the game.   He out-thought himself.  

56 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

How does it take Sean McDermott so frickin long to identify Meyers as the only target and not put White on him. 

I've seen this comment a few times.   I think it completely misperceives what happened. 

Meyers wasn't the target.  Whoever wasn't guarded by White was the target.  Put White on Meyers and the target shifts.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Nice job, VIrg.  A lot of good things you put up this week, especially that opening about Division games.  I wanted to comment on two points. 

First, Allen.  I think it's funny that there's no one posting today about Allen being a project, a waste, not good enough, anything.  The fact of the matter is that Allen played an excellent game.   He was in command of the offense, and nothing much that the defense through at him seemed to trouble him.  He's really growing up as a field general, and that's bad news for the rest of the league. 

As for Belichick, I couldn't disagree much more.  Belichick isn't really a cheater.  He's just an amoral guy who pushes the envelope.   He studies the rules and tries to find ways to gain an advantage playing within the rules.   He's a guy with an incredible love for football and fascination for the nuances of the game.   He has great appreciation for the talents of the best players on the field, whether they are on his team or the other team.   And he has demonstrated an ability above all others who ever have coached to find ways to win games.   He is all about winning.

Belichick is very much like Nick Saban, and each of them is equally dislikable in terms of a public personality.  They both are quite like Geno Auriemma, who is disliked by many for the same reasons.   Gregg Popovich is the only guy I can think of who seems to be their equal in terms of mastery of the game but who someone manages to continue to be a likable gentleman.   Even Popovich has often been a difficult man to interview.  

I had no problem with Belichick taking the timeouts.   Who knows what's going to happen?   Call the timeouts and require the Bills to execute the simplest play in football correctly a couple of times.   Maybe someone will have a brain fart and the ball will come free.  Who knows?   

As for the onside kick, I think Belichick misjudged the extent to which his team was taking over the game.  There was no need to risk giving the Bills the short field, because the Bills were not going to be able to stop the Pats for the rest of the game.   He out-thought himself.  

I've seen this comment a few times.   I think it completely misperceives what happened. 

Meyers wasn't the target.  Whoever wasn't guarded by White was the target.  Put White on Meyers and the target shifts.  

You regard the Hoodie with logic and reason.  I regard him with blind disdain.  I cannot use logic and reason, but applaud you for it

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

You regard the Hoodie with logic and reason.  I regard him with blind disdain.  I cannot use logic and reason, but applaud you for it

I'll tell you a story you can add to your arsenal:  

My son went to Tufts, outside of Boston.  He had a friend who wrote sports for the Tufts Daily newspaper.   The kid went to a Tufts-Wesleyan game, at Tufts.  Saturday afternoon.   The kid see Belichick sitting alone in the stands - it must have been the Pats bye week.  (Belichick went to Wesleyan.)  So the kid sits next to Belichick, introduces himself as a reporter for the Daily.  Silence.  Asks Bill a question.  Silence.   Another question.  Silence.   Belichick didn't have the decency to give the kid the time of day.   It was classic Belichick.   Not very likable.

On the other hand, here's some evidence of what a geek he is.   Belichick wasn't a very good football player.   I don't think he ever started a game at Wesleyan, which is mediocre D-III football.   He also played lacrosse.   He may not have been very good, but he fell in love with games and strategy and teaching.   So a few years ago, when his daughter became the women's lacrosse coach at Wesleyan, he would show up when he had a free afternoon and be sort of an assistant coach to his daughter.   This is a guy who lives football 24-7, and when he has a day off, he finds a place to go coach.   

He's just different from most of us.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1