The Maddening Mystery of McDermott's Disappearing Defense

Logic

On 10/22/2020 at 5:48 PM, zow2 said:

I didn't read the entire 5 pages, but to me, McDermott's defense is too finesse.  All they seem to do is chase guys and tackle.  There's no physicality, no edge.  Milano being out obviously has an impact, because he's good and he's physical.  The guy we had on the D-line last year, Phillips...he was pretty nasty, even Shaq at times.

This year is mostly chase and tackle guys.  I was impressed at how physical the Chiefs were.  They hit hard between the lines, and sometimes go overboard, but they are nasty.

There's no Dawg in this defense.  When they're not hurt, they're soft. No physicality from the front 4. A teenage LB who is no longer a teenager. A shutdown corner who probably wishes he opted out? Obviously the new players are not as skilled. Throw in injuries and it's a perfect storm for major problems. And because of all this there's added pressure on Josh to score 30+ every week.

Edited by LABILLBACKER

On 10/23/2020 at 2:26 PM, Radar said:

Look this defense has been overrated for some time. Last year faced a soft schedule. Added to being a maybe slightly above average defense you now subtract two or three of your best defenders and play two pretty darn good teams these past two weeks and it is what it is. If they don't get healthy even the Jets could make it a game although losing to the worst team in football would be disastrous.

Radar, I think that's a pretty simplistic analysis.  As I've pointed out elsewhere in rebuttal to this, last season we successfully shut down or limited some of the league's top offenses at the time, including the Ravens and the Cowboys.

We did lose 3 DLmen (2 to FA, one to opt-out) and a key piece at LB in Zo.  We also changed DL coach. 

We have had injuries at LB and CB.  But it seems to run deeper than that.  The ones that are in aren't in the right place.  The DL is soft as Charmin, including players like Phillips and Oliver who were not soft last year.  And the confusing/creative stuff seems long gone.

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Radar, I think that's a pretty simplistic analysis.  As I've pointed out elsewhere in rebuttal to this, last season we successfully shut down or limited some of the league's top offenses at the time, including the Ravens and the Cowboys.

We did lose 3 DLmen (2 to FA, one to opt-out) and a key piece at LB in Zo.  We also changed DL coach. 

We have had injuries at LB and CB.  But it seems to run deeper than that.  The ones that are in aren't in the right place.  The DL is soft as Charmin, including players like Phillips and Oliver who were not soft last year.  And the confusing/creative stuff seems long gone.

Bottom line for me is this defense isn't as good as many think. I don't think it's coaching. Two safety s one very good corner one very good linebacker plus Edmunds?