OLine Pass Pro against Chiefs/Allen unforced errors

Bocephuz

In the past i used to do lengthy in depth posts with gifs.. don't have time for that nowadays

I watched every passing snap to evaluate pass blocking performance as well as Josh Allen unforced errors committed (PASS BLOCKING ONLY EVALUATED.. did not evaluate running plays). 

Unforced error =  Allen has time to throw, wr is open and he misses throw.. or.. Allen makes poor unforced decision 

OLINEMAN BEATEN =  O linemman clearly loses his one on one matchup... or.. clearly misreads stunt/combo block

____

OLINEMAN BEATEN STATS

• WINTERS - 2
  • FORD - 1
  • WILLIAMS -1 

OL SUMMARY In general the OL was decent in pass protect. Williams has a habit of getting beat by speed rushes to the outside.. and was cleanly beaten one time where his man directly forced Josh off his spot.. however.. often times Williams rides his outside speed rusher just far enough behind 17 to keep pocket integrity. Winters was physically tossed aside twice resulting in direct pressure in qb17 face. Morse had an excellent game .. winning his one on one battles and pitching in to help his neighbors as well. Ford was generally solid in pp.. however.. there was one rep where #95 completely dismantled him with an outside/in move resulting in nasty hit on Josh. Dawkins was his usual solid self at LT

In the past i used to do lengthy in depth posts with gifs.. don't have time for that nowadays

I watched every passing snap to evaluate pass blocking performance as well as Josh Allen unforced errors committed (PASS BLOCKING ONLY EVALUATED.. did not evaluate running plays). 

Unforced error =  Allen has time to throw, wr is open and he misses throw.. or.. Allen makes poor unforced decision 

OLINEMAN BEATEN =  O linemman clearly loses his one on one matchup... or.. clearly misreads stunt/combo block

____

OLINEMAN BEATEN STATS

• WINTERS - 2
  • FORD - 1
  • WILLIAMS -1 

OL SUMMARY In general the OL was decent in pass protect. Williams has a habit of getting beat by speed rushes to the outside.. and was cleanly beaten one time where his man directly forced Josh off his spot.. however.. often times Williams rides his outside speed rusher just far enough behind 17 to keep pocket integrity. Winters was physically tossed aside twice resulting in direct pressure in qb17 face. Morse had an excellent game .. winning his one on one battles and pitching in to help his neighbors as well. Ford was generally solid in pp.. however.. there was one rep where #95 completely dismantled him with an outside/in move resulting in nasty hit on Josh. Dawkins was his usual solid self at LT

In general the Chiefs blitzed quite a bit.. and Singletary generally did a good job picking up his man. It is on 17 to beat the extra free man..either with his legs or arms.. and 17 was not decisive or poised beating the extra man consistently enough this game

QB UNFORCED ERRORS:  Josh had 5 unforced errors by my count.  Based on my history of doing this kind of analysis with Tyrod and EJ.. when a qb has 5 or more unforced errors the chances of his team winning decrease materially. The game ending interception did not count as an unforced error by my eye as he was pressured and could not afford to take a sack there so he put up a prayer.  However.. there were several unexplained flat out misses in situations where he had time and an open receiver. The first throw of the game in the flat to Beasley was an obvious one. The worst may have been a flag route to Diggs (q2?)where Allen had time, Diggs had a step and Allen just flat out overthrew him This should have been an easy 6 and would have changed the complexion of the game. Allen hesitating and not hitting Singletary to beat the blitz yet another. 

In general Allen very rarely got the ball out in time or in rhythm... and while there were 4 obvious situations where the OL failed him.. more often than not the errors were unforced and fell at 17's feet. 

Of course this is only one game and all qbs have peaks and valleys. Allen has demonstrated that he can be a decisive, accurate, rhythm thrower previously. Hopefully this was more of an anomaly rather than a sign of permanent regression

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Great analysis. Yeah, it just seemed like Allen had trouble shaking the funk from that first series. Just didn’t look like himself in the huddle or on the bench between possessions. Usually on the bench he is all business looking at the videos or printouts and attentively listening to the coach. Last night when he was shown on the bench he seemed to just have his head down, not looking at anything in particular and not appearing interested in what the coach was telling him. Just my opinion, but seemed like he was beating himself up too much which was just compounding the problems on the field.

Looked like maybe we saw more of the September Josh on that 4th quarter TD drive. Too bad they didn’t get one more possession before the Chiefs put the score out of reach. Would like to have seen which #17 took the field then.

• Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

Great analysis. Yeah, it just seemed like Allen had trouble shaking the funk from that first series. Just didn’t look like himself in the huddle or on the bench between possessions. Usually on the bench he is all business looking at the videos or printouts and attentively listening to the coach. Last night when he was shown on the bench he seemed to just have his head down, not looking at anything in particular and not appearing interested in what the coach was telling him. Just my opinion, but seemed like he was beating himself up too much which was just compounding the problems on the field.

Looked like maybe we saw more of the September Josh on that 4th quarter TD drive. Too bad they didn’t get one more possession before the Chiefs put the score out of reach. Would like to have seen which #17 took the field then.

seemed that way to me too. he was not his usual focused self. That 4th qtr td drive was only drive where he was consistently decisive and got the ball out on time and in rhythm

35 minutes ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

Probably could have used a little help from Brown when he threw a perfect ball to him for a first down and watched it bounce off his face mask on 3rd down to force a punt on the first drive.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Probably could have used a little help from Brown when he threw a perfect ball to him for a first down and watched it bounce off his face mask on 3rd down to force a punt on the first drive.

And the dime throw under duress to Diggs in the back of the endzone Diggs just flat out dropped. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Absolutely, no question. Trouble is JA puts all that on himself. He is the leader out there and the buck stops with him.

33 minutes ago, H2o said:

And the dime throw under duress to Diggs in the back of the endzone Diggs just flat out dropped. 

Again, absolutely agree.

1 hour ago, Bleedbuffaloblue said:

Yes! Man that John Brown drop on 3rd down on 1st series, was 3rd n 10 ,Allen threw a perfect pass to Smoke, for an easy 12-15 yard gain and he just dropped it🤷🏻‍♂️

Thought that really hurt us going forward and just set the stage for what was to come