Is Mahomes better than Josh Allen and Tre White ... now?

Thurman#1

22 hours ago, Real McNasty said:

Good luck passing Brady, let alone Peyton or Brees.

He’s already off to an amazing start. I prefaced it by saying if he can stay healthy. If he can there’s no reason to believe he won’t surpass them all. 

It’s no indictment on Allen. I already said I wouldn’t make the trade. I just believe when all is said and done Mahomes will be the best of all time. 

Many QBs Marino, Montana, Elway are regraded as better than Jim Kelly. I wouldn’t trade him for any of them. You can think one guy is great and still like your guy better. Which I wholeheartedly do. Josh is a ton of fun to watch and I wouldn’t trade that for anything. 

That being said I do think the skies the limit for Allen. I just think he happened to come along just as the next great came along. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Zerovoltz said:

First.....instead of debating this......I'd like to point out how very rare this WIN-WIN trade has turned out.  KC got a superstar QB....usually when one team makes a trade and is on the side that ends up with the superstart QB...that means the other team must have lost the trade.....but that is NOT the case here.  Buffalo ultimately ended up with star CB, a franchise QB, and has accomplished EVERYTHING they could have hoped for when they made that deal.  Both teams got exactly what they wanted out of it and both teams are better for it.  It's amazing how it all turned out.

saw this nugget in the discussion....and have seen this and heard this A LOT.  .....KC has the core locked up for for the next few years as it is....and KC has drafted well...there is talent in the pipeline that is cheap and viable.  ...Buffalo will have the same challenge very soon too....and it's a WAY WAY WAY better problem/challenge than not having a franchise QB take up alot of cap space.

The premise of the OP is wrong..........the Bills didn't get Josh Allen with the picks acquired from KC.

At the time I am sure McDermott thought KC might be in for a down year and that they might get a top 12 kinda' first round pick from KC in 2018........otherwise no way you trade back that far if you think you will just get a pick in the 20's.    That won't move the needle much to get you up to the top pick in the draft to select QB1.

Ultimately the Bills got Tre White and Tremaine Edmunds with the capital they acquired from KC for the Patrick Mahomes pick.

White is going to be a really good player for another 5-6 years.

The jury is still out on Edmunds.

He is one of the most "impactful" coverage LB's in the league because of his size/wingspan/speed.......he deters the use of the middle of the field in the passing game.

But he is also a shoddy tackler and borderline horrendous against the run and just disappears as a playmaker for weeks at a time.    In addition to his lack of instincts whether he is physically stout enough to hold up in the middle long term is also a concern. 

Anyone suggesting this was anything less than a lopsided trade is grasping for straws.

As to your second point...........our hope here is that Mahomes/Allen turns into a Marino/Kelly situation where the Bills ultimately win much more in the playoffs and head-to-head.

That's a lot to ask considering Mahomes hot start.....but that's how it actually went down with Marino/Kelly.

Before Kelly ever threw an NFL pass Marino had set most single season NFL passing records and taken his team to a SB.

That's how they can ultimately overcome handing an AFC rival the MVP of the league in a lopsided trade.

As you say though, the Chiefs are not doing their part to undermine Mahomes by drafting poorly the way the Dolphins did with Marino.   

To be fair, we didn't just sit in place & draft Josh Allen with the pick we got from the Chiefs.

We gave up two 2nd round picks along with swapping 1st rounders, so you'd have to include that in the "is it worth it?" question.

Second, you're asking based on their comparative results (or else why are you asking this "now?")... Josh Allen playing great these 3 games vs an MVP, Super Bowl MVP and Super Bowl victory... I think I'd still take the latter.

Edited by BigDingus