A Peek Inside ExiledinIllinois' workday (and other Government Worker Relaxation Strategies)

BringBackFergy

One job I had was an IT contractor with the county. Our space was in the sub-basement, 2 stories underground. It used to be the fallout shelter, so there was a bunk room, full kitchen, etc. I may have taken a nap one time or two in the bunk room. Eventually though it was cleaned out and made into a maintenance office. 

Firefighters  have a bunkhouse.  Exercise  facilities,  etc...

Up until the 1950s at the locks, the staff lived on site. Lockmaster had a house.  Same with lighthouse tenders.   There are still jobs out there (like mine) that don't  equate to the modern work ways.   We can get caught  there for  days.  It has to be staffed 24/7/365.  Job description is: "All duties as needed." There are no assigned lunches. Breaks. Dinners and breakfasts.  Facilties need kitchens,  showers etc... Why not have an exercise room to stay healthy? Obviously these dolls didn't.   24/365, you are working through normal sleep hours.  Need TV to keep up with the news, weather,  etc...

No different than a firehouse, lighthouse, etc... The big trouble I see is the alcohol consumption. That's a strict  safety no-no nowadays, but years ago they turned a blind eye, as long as you weren't impaired.   Back in the Day on the railroad,  the caboose had beds and showers, etc... Again,  not sure what the MTA does  and where they take their breaks, but there  are jobs out there that still do things the old fashioned way... Military, Firefighting, etc... Caretaker jobs.  You live and work on site basically. 

We are way to uptight nowadays and  people too worried what the next guy is doing. If it's  your cup of tea,  those jobs can be had. It all comes around.  Too much accounting nowadays.  Why we are messed up.

Working Boats on rivers, waterways are basically floating man-caves. Tracking Satellite TV,  WiFi. Big screens, sleeping quarters.   Those guys are on 3 weeks on, 3 weeks off,  12 hour on-off shifts. 

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Beerball said:

I’m sorry, could you repeat that? I must have dozed off.

Firefighters.  There is a reason why most municipalities moved toward volunteers.  LoL...

Do you want them sitting around waiting to lock a boat, oh, I mean waiting for a fire? 😉 😜 😘 

Oh no. NOW I did it.  Awakened the ghosts 👻 of Board Past? LoL...