A Peek Inside ExiledinIllinois' workday (and other Government Worker Relaxation Strategies)

BringBackFergy

We have a hidden "Bat Cave."  From Lakeside right into the catacombs of the city.   Capone used to bootleg his booze to his patrons on the GoldCoast via that route.  He called it: "Hospitality."

Anyway...The cave was used (when discovered) as point of operation by the G-men to launch  vessels and what not. 

I think we need Geraldo Rivera to investigate!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I read a feww years ago that there are tunnels that run from Central Terminal  under the railroad spur  that crosses Broadway near where Memorial Drive meets it and they were used transport goods from the terminal to businesses along Broadway.

47 minutes ago, Wacka said:

I read a feww years ago that there are tunnels that run from Central Terminal  under the railroad spur  that crosses Broadway near where Memorial Drive meets it and they were used transport goods from the terminal to businesses along Broadway.

The link is a Joe Rogan podcast featuring Dr. Bradley Garrett.

It's a really interesting conversation about "urban explorers" who illegally find access points into the underground in large cities and all the crazy cool stuff they find.  

Definitely worth a listen.

http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/dr-bradley-garrett

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The link is a Joe Rogan podcast featuring Dr. Bradley Garrett.

It's a really interesting conversation about "urban explorers" who illegally find access points into the underground in large cities and all the crazy cool stuff they find.  

Definitely worth a listen.

http://podcasts.joerogan.net/podcasts/dr-bradley-garrett

In Chicago...  You never have to step outside during winter. But, w/COVID. Bits & pieces shutdown, gradually opening.

https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/depts/cdot/provdrs/ped/svcs/pedway.html

You would be surprised how many larger cities have underground tunnels and areas that haven't been used in decades and forgotten about.

I used to work in a town where they where they were finding tunnels leading to lower areas when they were doing work to build an arena and replace a bridge. Many were built by rich property owners when they built their houses at the top of the hill to have access to bring things up from the waterways below. In the downtown area, almost all the old buildings have tunnels between then for moving things back and fourth.

19 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Saw this and immediately thought of @ExiledInIllinois.  He always tells us how hard he works so he needs to upgrade his tower with a few perks.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/24/mta-workers-had-hidden-man-cave-below-grand-central-tracks/amp/

while @ExiledInIllinois is an entitled government worker, this thread reminds of a joke my buddy always used to use..we went to school in PA

his line was " if i ever get in a fight with PDOT worker, i will just hand him a shovel cause then he will just stand there with  it!

• Haha (+1) 1

One of my first jobs was in a warehouse and we had a lot of dead time. My first week there they asked me how I want my area set up. They would move anything I wanted. So I had all the shelves set up to make a room. From the outside it just looked like shelves set up in a square. The opening could easily be covered by two larger boxes that we would just slide over to cover the opening. 

Only the maintenance crew and the CEO’s son knew about it. I came to work after a week vacation and the room was bigger. I slide the “door” open and everyone’s inside feet kicked up watching a movie on a laptop. They moved the maintenance crews break area coffee maker and small fridge inside. Set boxes up like furniture with foam insulation as padding.  I left the company probably 12 years ago and when I went back to visit a year or two ago it was still up. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

while @ExiledInIllinois is an entitled government worker, this thread reminds of a joke my buddy always used to use..we went to school in PA

his line was " if i ever get in a fight with PDOT worker, i will just hand him a shovel cause then he will just stand there with  it!

Yet...Somehow the roads get paved. 😜 

Must be contracted out. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Before Sahlen's Field was  built in the 80s. there were a lot of smaller buildings there.  One day a delivery man parked his truck on Swan Street and suddenly it collapsed  into a large hole in the street. The buildings that were located where the stadium is now had basements that extended under Swan Street. The "roof"of the basement deteriorated and the street gave way.  I remember it because  the driver was a cousin's friend.

Edited by Wacka

3 minutes ago, Wacka said:

Before Sahlen's Field was  built. there were a lot of smaller buildings there.  One day a delivery man parked his truck on Swan Street and suddenly it collapsed  into a large hole in the street. The buildings that were located where the stadium is now had basements that extended under Swan Street. The "roof"of the basement deteriorated and the street gave way.  I remember it because  the driver was a cousin's friend.

Weren't they finding wooden pipes under Main when the Light Rail was going in?

On 9/24/2020 at 12:05 PM, BringBackFergy said:

Saw this and immediately thought of @ExiledInIllinois.  He always tells us how hard he works so he needs to upgrade his tower with a few perks.

https://nypost.com/2020/09/24/mta-workers-had-hidden-man-cave-below-grand-central-tracks/amp/

That... is kinda awesome.

Well, not the whole stealing taxpayer money by claiming to be on duty part.

• Like (+1) 1