Anybody here think Clements is worth 8 million

Clements will get that in his next contract and I just want to know who here is willing to pay that or have that kind of hit on the Bill's salary cap.

I happen to think that top CBs are way way overpayed it's not even funny. 8 million dollars a year for Nate Clements???? That one is a head scatcher. Unless the player is the next coming of Johnny Unitus, then I'm not spending 1/10th of the cap on one player. I think Nate Clements is in the mix on Saturday because he's entering the last year of his contract and in no way will be a Bill in 2006.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clements will get that in his next contract and I just want to know who here is willing to pay that or have that kind of hit on the Bill's salary cap.

I happen to think that top CBs are way way overpayed it's not even funny. 8 million dollars a year for Nate Clements???? That one is a head scatcher. Unless the player is the next coming of Johnny Unitus, then I'm not spending 1/10th of the cap on one player. I think Nate Clements is in the mix on Saturday because he's entering the last year of his contract and in no way will be a Bill in 2006.

311661[/snapback]

I'm not sure but I think this has been discussed in a thread or twenty somewhere down below...

It's April 2005; who the hell cares what Clements is going to cost the Bills in 2006. Especially since 2006 is when the new TV contract kicks in, which will completely blow this year's cap figure out of the water.

There's nothing wrong with Clements playing out his contract this year and then letting him walk in 2006 if he's deemed too expensive. Teams like the Pats, Eagles, and Steelers let players walk all the time.

Let the Bills benefit from Clements contract year, and then decide what to do with him with him when the 2006 cap is set. That's the best move the team can make.

Let the Bills benefit from Clements contract year, and then decide what to do with him with him when the 2006 cap is set.  That's the best move the team can make.

311719[/snapback]

We have a winner. No need to keep this thread going. This man is absolutely right.

I have changed my mind: we should keep Clements. Worry about next year later. If we are trading him, we would be trading him for a draft pick who probably won't really contribute until the end of this year or the beginning of next year.

I am tired of waiting for the playoffs. I want them now.

You have to have a playmaker on Defense.  If we lose Clements, we need to pick up a great playermaker to take his place.  I dont' want to lose Clements... I see no problem franchising him.  He's worth is friends.

311916[/snapback]

I wished he was a play maker in last years opener!

In 2006, I would rather pay a great CB $8M than a half-way decent RT $10.67M. :huh:

So Nate can stay. :huh:

311687[/snapback]

MW's contract will be redone and his cap hit will be significantly less on opening day.

Arguments that $8 million for NC is OK because of MW's contract are silly, IMO. Williams' cap number has jumped in the OFF-SEASON only and there's no way TD goes into 2005 with that figure hampering the teams flexibility to sign rookies or impending FAs.

I'd rather have 1 Nate clements for 8 million, than 2 terrence mcgee's and a kevin thomas (just for comparison sake) for 8 million

311861[/snapback]

How do you figure: Mcgee's cap hit is $482,500 and Thomas's is just $305,000, so you're talking about less than $1.5 million under your scenario...doubtful these kind of guys will ever get the big bucks. In contrast, NC's 2005 hit is already at $3.5 million.

In 2006, I would rather pay a great CB $8M than a half-way decent RT $10.67M. :huh:

So Nate can stay. :huh:

311687[/snapback]

If we're already using up $10.67 million on Mike Williams, that makes it even harder to pay Nate the $8 million. At some point you just run out of money. The new TV contract will be as much a curse as a blessing, because whatever extra cap space it creates will soon be eaten up by a higher price for CBs.

We've already lost Winfield to a team that was desperate to have him, and we got nothing in return. Let's not let the same thing happen with Nate.

If we're already using up $10.67 million on Mike Williams, that makes it even harder to pay Nate the $8 million. At some point you just run out of money.

311988[/snapback]

Exactly, and that's why MW will be cut unless he drastically restructures his contract. His dead cap space hit in 2006 would be pretty close to Drew's dead cap space hit in 2005... definitely workable. But Nate is going nowhere. :huh:

PAY FOR PERFORMANCE, NOT POTENTIAL! :huh:

Exactly, and that's why MW will be cut unless he drastically restructures his contract. His dead cap space hit in 2006 would be pretty close to Drew's dead cap space hit in 2005... definitely workable. But Nate is going nowhere.  :huh:

PAY FOR PERFORMANCE, NOT POTENTIAL! :huh:

312000[/snapback]

MW will restructure his contract...no way will he be cut.

311661[/snapback]

Yeah, I totally agree. I feel the Bills will either trade him now or franchise tag him and trade him for a #1 next year.