House framing issue? Need opinions.

Process

So this is a common problem with the rafter attachment points at the top of your walls.  The nails work loose over time and develop creaking & popping noises on windy days when the house shifts in the wind.  Problem is, they are typically tough to get to when the roof is installed.  You *could* reinforce it, if you can get to them in the attic.  A lot of house styles make that impossible.  If you ever get a full re-roofing job done, it may be worth it to pull the underlayment off the roof at the rafter attachment points and reinforce those connections.

Newer construction use those attachment plates that make the attachment much easier and fool proof.

18 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Any cracks in your plaster/paint? Mark them with a pencil to look for change. Probably would help to try and get some commonalities when you hear the sound most. Morning, night, after rain or sunshine; hot/cold water running etc.. You should be able to tell where electrical and water lines are roughly by going in the basement. Would probably be tough to smell ozone from an electrical arc through the wall. Anything that can help someone find a source. 

You've done some remodeling, maybe something with that work is causing an issue. As far as the siding, is that newer? Maybe the nails have the siding too tight to the house and when the temp changes there is some noise due to expansion/contraction. Did the old owner do their own work? Have you been finding things that just aren't done correctly in general?

The main electrical wire needing replaced (assuming outside the house) seems like a pretty big deal, it's pretty tough to damage one and get away without having some type of shock.

4Billsin makes sense. The main issue for me would be in the attic with the roof tresses moving. That would create plaster cracks...huge sign for stability. I would also worry about a support wall that may have been removed to open space for selling appeal. You may not know this. Have the basement support posts traced up thru the roof supports. If that ok, just pretend it is the ghost of an old drummer who lived in the house and open another beer.

The best thing I could recommend if it’s that concerning would be a structural engineer - NOT a general contractor. I hired one when I was having horrible problems with a house we built. After one year we had so many problems with the sub floor that I didn’t trust the builder, and hired a structural engineer on my own dime just for peace of mind (I ended up making them reimburse me because of the issues he found!). I was really impressed. He was able to just walk around and look at things visually and tell me so much about the way the house was settling, etc. Things that were absolutely there, but that I would NEVER have noticed had he not pointed them out. Usually, their evaluations are not invasive. You’re not talking about ripping out drywall. There are other visual cues that they look for that can tell them what’s going on.

I would strongly recommend it. I think I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $650, but it was worth every penny. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

it has the potential to be a lot of things, i think more info would be needed to know when it happens. does it happen all the time? Only when windy? Only when it gets hot outside? Only during rain? 

How many people died in the house?

is it on a burial ground?

do any family members have a history of being cursed or otherwise tied to the occult?

16 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

do any family members have a history of being cursed or otherwise tied to the occult?

Here’s my guess:

1) None.....before wide right.

2) Only a few Giants fans, post wide right.

3) Cursed? Sure, we’re all Bill fans. What kind of question is that? 

:)

1 hour ago, CLTbills said:

The best thing I could recommend if it’s that concerning would be a structural engineer - NOT a general contractor. I hired one when I was having horrible problems with a house we built. After one year we had so many problems with the sub floor that I didn’t trust the builder, and hired a structural engineer on my own dime just for peace of mind (I ended up making them reimburse me because of the issues he found!). I was really impressed. He was able to just walk around and look at things visually and tell me so much about the way the house was settling, etc. Things that were absolutely there, but that I would NEVER have noticed had he not pointed them out. Usually, their evaluations are not invasive. You’re not talking about ripping out drywall. There are other visual cues that they look for that can tell them what’s going on.

I would strongly recommend it. I think I paid somewhere in the neighborhood of $650, but it was worth every penny. 

Definitely a structural engineer would be the ay to go, but make sure its also a good one

They aren't cheap, but since they aren't working for a builder, or associated with one for the work, they should be able to provide you with an honest report on what is probably the issue. They can also provide a report and repair details of what may need to be done to fix the issue by someone and can be used to obtain any required permits.

1 hour ago, NoSaint said:

Well those are the obvious first questions to ask, I just figured i would give him examples of the others......