Got In Yesterday From WNY.....

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

? “Expensive”

For a western NYr it's absolutely expensive

That's like an elitist New York City attitude where everybody's making six figures. The average buffalonian makes like $25,000 a year

Do you know how much poverty is in the City of Buffalo? The average Joe in Buffalo can't get into those areas

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/29/2020 at 12:39 PM, teef said:

there's always a weird cyclical movement regarding this.  maybe 5-6 years ago, everyone was moving back to cities in droves.  the reason cited was younger people didn't have the money to buy homes, and didn't want to be bogged down by the daily upkeep as you mentioned.  now we see the swing back to more living space.

in my area the problem has been with people not moving out.  our public school as significantly smaller classes than in the past, mostly because young people can't find housing in the area.  once something comes on the market, there's such a steep overbid just to get something average.  at some point the older population will age out, and there's should be a significant number of houses available.  timing is everything.

covid and protest took that move to urban area pendulum and stopped it in its tracks.

several major DC HQ corporations were moving into the city to appeal to the millennial work force.

First covid... telecommuting has now been proven as viable for lots of jobs it want before. Huge Companies like Siemens just announced that WFH policy is now permanent. It’s happening at PWC, Microsoft, etc. Secondly, even if you are going to go to the office getting into the city with public transportation has lost its appeal. 

add the downtown riots which are certain to cause city business to move out, and defunding police movement which has been reasonably argued to rise crime, et voila- movement inward has been stopped.  Burbs are going to swing back into favor.  

33 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That's like an elitist New York City attitude where everybody's making six figures. The average buffalonian makes like $25,000 a year

Do you know how much poverty is in the City of Buffalo? The average Joe in Buffalo can't get into those areas

yeah. In Rockville MD, it really does manipulate perspective. I’m not elitist by any stretch tho With a profound awareness of my massive number of shortcomings.

Average 25k though?  I’m seeing median hh income around twice that number in google search. 

either way, the big irony here is if I bought the same house I have here, monthly cost would be the same. Why? , while housing cost per sqft is half there as compared to here, taxes are 2x.  Thus close to the same fixed monthly cost, but half the equity upon liquidation... 2x recurring monthly spend for essentially ‘renting’ imo inferior public services. As a wealth building strategy living in wny loses, unfortunately....

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

7 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

yeah. In Rockville MD, it really does manipulate perspective. I’m not elitist by any stretch tho With a profound awareness of my massive number of shortcomings.

Average 25k though?  I’m seeing median hh income around twice that number in google search. 

either way, the big irony here is if I bought the same house I have here, monthly cost would be the same. Why? , while housing cost per sqft is half there as compared to here, taxes are 2x.  End game is same close to the same fixed cost, but half the equity upon liquidation be used more recurring spent money in essentially ‘renting’ the public services. As a wealth building strategy living in wny loses, unfortunately....

Screenshot_20200731-183337.thumb.png.82d16bc388121046c05ccfc2d48582a7.png

In the city the average per person is about 22k. Per family 34,000

I worked in the city for years. the average person there could never buy a house in East Aurora or williamsville. That's why they're on the east or west side

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Per capita.   Which is a really  good metric  of affluence. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Getting way different number for per capita in one US...  not trying to argue, but 31k seems way off 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/205199/per-capita-personal-income-in-the-us/

45 sounds  high!

My town here it's... a paltry $19,800!!!

I can take you  through  some  towns (please  close your  window and lock your  door) where  the per capita  doesn't  even scratch  $9k.

Figure... IF it's  $40k.  A family of four has  to be cranking  in 160 gas a year.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

11 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Getting way different number for per capita in one US...  not trying to argue, but 31k seems way off 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/205199/per-capita-personal-income-in-the-us/

That could be true. It also says the dollar adjustment is in 2012 value. Maybe the dollar was worth more then

Either way there's a lot of people in Buffalo struggling. There are pockets on the rise, but there's still a lot of people you can't even afford to live in cheektowaga

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

That could be true. It also says the dollar adjustment is in 2012 value. Maybe the dollar was worth more then

Either way there's a lot of people in Buffalo struggling. There are pockets on the rise, but there's still a lot of people you can't even afford to live in cheektowaga

Yup! FWIW... Places  like West Seneca Schools (on edge of City) struggle with the pockets  of poverty. 

You wouldn't  think it...

EDIT:  Not really poverty.  Just "working poor."

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yup! FWIW... Places  like West Seneca Schools (on edge of City) struggle with the pockets  of poverty. 

You wouldn't  think it...

So does cheektowaga Central School system on the border of Buffalo cheektowaga. They have teenagers who have actually killed people in the school

but you get into the deeper suburbs of cheektowaga and it's still gorgeous

My grandmother live behind Southgate plaza for 60 years

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

So does cheektowaga Central School system on the border of Buffalo cheektowaga. They have teenagers who have actually killed people in the school

but you get into the deeper suburbs of cheektowaga and it's still gorgeous

My grandmother live behind Southgate plaza for 60 years

Yup... We've  lived off of French for  60 years.  Brother still there. 

Schools like W.Seneca East going  down tubes.  LoL... But that was  always  a shithole seeing I graduated  from West. ? ? ?  

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yup... We've  lived off of French for  60 years.  Brother still there. 

Yeah, I took someone who has lived in Lovejoy / Eastside his whole life, to my house, in cheektowaga by the airport. 

And he was amazed at how nice the neighborhood was.. like he would do anything to live there

All he knew was Lovejoy and the Eastside and the true suburbs were like a different world to him

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

https://www.bestplaces.net/economy/city/new_york/buffalo

Dunno if accurate but they claim "The average income of a Buffalo resident is $20,726 a year. The US average is $28,555 a year.  The Median household income of a Buffalo resident is $31,668 a year. The US average is $53,482 a year."