Redskin #9 and #25 for Clements?

Redskin #9 and #25 for Clements? Any thoughts? Bills could grab a CB and O-line help. I live in D.C. right now and I just have to laugh at the Redskins. They seem to have no idea how to function in today's football. Why trade next year's number 1, a 3 and a 4 for this year's 25? Insanity.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Redskin #9 and #25 for Clements? Any thoughts? Bills could grab a CB and O-line help. I live in D.C. right now and I just have to laugh at the Redskins. They seem to have no idea how to function in today's football. Why trade next year's number 1, a 3 and a 4 for this year's 25? Insanity.

310054[/snapback]

The thing i can think of is that the Redskins either believe they can package these two first rounders to get one super, great player -- or they feel they are only two top rookies away from going all the way.

Yeah, they are a laughing stock.

310054[/snapback]

get off the crack

310054[/snapback]

Were you by chance a recent victim of head trama?

310054[/snapback]

Read the associated ESPN article. They want to pick their future QB at pick 25.

Why is the trade so bad....Didn't we do something very close to this to get

JP last year. We gave up our 2nd and 5th last year and this years 1st

The Skins have done something very close to that.

Snyder might be willing to throw money around, but I think Joe Gibbs knows

a thing or two about footbal....The only mistake he has made so far into his

2nd season is getting Mark Brunell...He really misjudged on Brunell still

having something left in the tank (And I hope Bill Parcells has done the

same with Bledsoe).

310054[/snapback]

To me whats funny is the war going on between the Post and the Skins. Love the article today by LaConfora. Man, this paper is just kiiling them. Skins should have never pulled their tickets. Snyder cannot win this war. Add that to the fact Gibbs got all huffy on Czaban and quit doing his show. I just do not think Gibbs quite undertsands todays NFL.

Some quotes from the article

"With most NFL analysts believing this weekend's draft is one of the weakest in memory, the Washington Redskins yesterday surprisingly traded their No. 1 pick next season and two other picks to the Denver Broncos for the 25th overall selection Saturday."

"The Redskins have the oldest coaching staff in the league and, coming off a 6-10 season and without a playoff berth since 1999, are looking for an immediate turnaround."

The day began in bizarre fashion at Redskins Park. Team officials issued a series of seemingly contradictory statements about what they were planning to do with their first-round pick. First, the team's Web site and a news release said the Redskins would not trade their No. 1 pick. The site said the Redskins "will use their first-round pick to select a player in this weekend's upcoming draft" and Cerrato was quoted in a statement as saying, "We are not trading that pick."

But Gibbs issued a statement contradicting both, saying the team will "consider anything."

Looks like the Foreskins are targeting Campbell the QB from Auburn with the #25 pick and are shopping Ramsey for trade.

Is there a more stupid franchise? :devil:

310073[/snapback]

Dolphins have to be up there for a possibly "more stupid" franchise. SF could be up there if they select a QB first overall and not wait for Leinart next year.

Read the associated ESPN article. They want to pick their future QB at pick 25.

The only mistake he has made so far into his

2nd season is getting Mark Brunell...He really misjudged on Brunell still

having something left in the tank (And I hope Bill Parcells has done the

same with Bledsoe).

310075[/snapback]

Only mistake? How bout promising Coles he would trade him without thinking of the cap ramifications. How bout saying he wanted to build around Pierce and Smoot, and then losing both of them. How bout doing a press release or press conferance everytime someone says boo. How bout trading for Moss and him now saying I'm not playing without a new deal.

These are all on Gibbs as he has final say on personnel.

310054[/snapback]

Two first round picks for Nate Clements???? Heck why not throw in next year's 1 and 2?? No freaking way. I am not sure I'd even trade just the 9 pick for him. They want that QB from Arkansas and a CB and for that they need two first round picks. This deal isn't really all that different than the one we made last year with Dallas. The first round picks are swapped, Denver's this year to Washington and Washington's 2006 to Denver. All Washington really gave up was a 3rd and 4th. We gave up a 2nd rounder which is arguably worth a 3rd and 4th so this trade is no more insane than the trade we made a year ago. They like that QB and all it cost them is a few late picks. No big deal.

Bills would be lucky to get #25 for Clements never mind #9 as well.  That is just a pipe dream.

310093[/snapback]

:doh::huh:;)

Two first round picks for Nate Clements????  Heck why not throw in next year's 1 and 2??  No freaking way.  I am not sure I'd even trade just the 9 pick for him.  They want that QB from Arkansas and a CB and for that they need two first round picks.  This deal isn't really all that different than the one we made last year with Dallas. The first round picks are swapped, Denver's this year to Washington and Washington's 2006 to Denver.  All Washington really gave up was a 3rd and 4th.  We gave up a 2nd rounder which is arguably worth a 3rd and 4th so this trade is no more insane than the trade we made a year ago.  They like that QB and all it cost them is a few late picks.  No big deal.

310098[/snapback]

You 2 are both on crack to think for a second that NC is not worth a #9 or a #25 overall pick in ANY draft.

He is arguably the best DB out there now and will definitly be the best when he is an FA after the season.

Sometimes you need to think before you type! :devil:

Easy on the attacks. I'm not saying it's a good idea. I am not saying it is a possibiliyt. I'm just saying the Skins are stupid enough to consider it. There has been some talk in D.C. of Williams' infatuation with Clements. He is in the last year of his contract and I doubt the Bills will sign him. The war between the Post and the Skins is funny.

Two first round picks for Nate Clements????  Heck why not throw in next year's 1 and 2??  No freaking way.  I am not sure I'd even trade just the 9 pick for him.  They want that QB from Arkansas and a CB and for that they need two first round picks.  This deal isn't really all that different than the one we made last year with Dallas. The first round picks are swapped, Denver's this year to Washington and Washington's 2006 to Denver.  All Washington really gave up was a 3rd and 4th.  We gave up a 2nd rounder which is arguably worth a 3rd and 4th so this trade is no more insane than the trade we made a year ago.  They like that QB and all it cost them is a few late picks.  No big deal.

310098[/snapback]

Got a question I hope someone can answer. #1 Mickey, you make a good point comparing the trades of the Bills and the Skins. However, as I do not watch the draft I am not sure when the Bills-Cowboys trade`was made. Was it just before the pick, and we knew Losman was there? That is what I see as the main differance. If they made this trade to get Campbell, and then he is not available, whew, that would be tough to take. According to all the articles and the radio this morning, that guy is rising fast.

Second as it realtes to trading say the #9 for Clements. What is the bonus a #9 CB would expect, and total comp over four years. I will try to look up, but my point is this. I would expect them to be similiar, and if I am GW-Gibbs, i know Nate can play in my scheme, and therefor I eliminate the risk . If the comp is close, I make this trade in a heartbeat if i'm the Skins.

Still trying to figure out this facination with first round picks.

The Redskins have acquired the 25th pick this year to go after Auburn QB Jason Campbell.

This sets them up in a lower level comparable scenario next year like San Diego where you have one QB - Patrick Ramsey who needs to prove himself like Drew Brees. If he does well the Redskins can put a one year franchise tag on him and develop a market for him in the 2006 draft. They could then easily trade either Ramsey or Campbell to a team in need of a young QB, for example like Green Bay.

In retrospect its a good deal for the future of the team.

310054[/snapback]

Got a question I hope someone can answer. #1 Mickey, you make a good point comparing the trades of the Bills and the Skins. However, as I do not watch the draft I am not sure when the Bills-Cowboys trade`was made. Was it just before the pick, and we knew Losman was there? That is what I see as the main differance. If they made this trade to get Campbell, and then he is not available, whew, that would be tough to take. According to all the articles and the radio this morning, that guy is rising fast.

Second as it realtes to trading say the #9 for Clements. What is the bonus a #9 CB would expect, and total comp over four years. I will try to look up, but my point is this. I would expect them to be similiar, and if I am GW-Gibbs, i know Nate can play in my scheme, and therefor I eliminate the risk . If the comp is close, I make this trade in a heartbeat if i'm the Skins.

Still trying to figure out this facination with first round picks.

310104[/snapback]

As for the 9th pick and Clements, there is a ying and yang effect going on. Every argument you make that Washington should be willing to trade that pick for Nate is also an argument for us not to trade him. Every argument you make that he isn't worth the 9th pick to Washington is an argument for us to trade him for less, such as teh 25th or even a second rounder. I find it hard to envision Clements in some sort of narrow sweet spot where he is so great that Washington will spend big in terms of a high pick for him but he isn't quite great enough for us to want to keep him.

The risk Washington is clearly taking is that Campbell, the QB from Auburn, might not be there at 25 but then again, for all we know they are planning to take him at 9 and a CB at 25. There are 5 CB's rated at first round quality or very near the first round. They will be able to get a good one at 25 easy unless there is an incredible run on CB's.

I am speculating like everyone else but that seems to be a reasonable assumption. Ask yourself what is more likely, that a guy like Gibbs has suddenly gone certifiable or he knows the guys he wants will be there at 9 and 25? I'd bank on the latter.

As for the 9th pick and Clements, there is a ying and yang effect going on.  Every argument you make that Washington should be willing to trade that pick for Nate is also an argument for us not to trade him.  Every argument you make that he isn't worth the 9th pick to Washington is an argument for us to trade him for less, such as teh 25th or even a second rounder.  I find it hard to envision Clements in some sort of narrow sweet spot where he is so great that Washington will spend big in terms of a high pick for him but he isn't quite great enough for us to want to keep him.

The risk Washington is clearly taking is that Campbell, the QB from Auburn, might not be there at 25 but then again, for all we know they are planning to take him at 9 and a CB at 25.  There are 5 CB's rated at first round quality or very near the first round.  They will be able to get a good one at 25 easy unless there is an incredible run on CB's. 

I am speculating like everyone else but that seems to be a reasonable assumption.  Ask yourself what is more likely, that a guy like Gibbs has suddenly gone certifiable or he knows the guys he wants will be there at 9 and 25?  I'd bank on the latter.

310118[/snapback]

I sure wouldn't, based on the past 18 months. Now, closest I was able to find to compare in terms of Nates value- vs- a pick is last year. Deangelo Hall was picked in the 8 spot by the Falcons. It seems he signed a 6 year, $25M deal, with $14 mil in bonus.

I would argue Nate would not take that much more to sign, little bigger on the salary, but bonus I would think would be similiar. IMHO, rather sign Nate and know what I'm getting. Flip side, if I am the Skins, i would make the trade.

Like I said, I can see getting loads of picks in the other rounds, but to me top 10 picks more of a risk, without the resultant cheaper cap number, than signing a proven veteran