What is "bad faith"? Where does the term originate?

I've seen this come up a lot on PPP :)

Let's be honest. I can't be the only one who has noticed that one of the most frequent users of "bad faith" on here is @TakeYouToTasker — also our resident etymologist and decider of objective truths and definitions.

Like "Marxist" I wonder if anybody knows anything about what they are talking about :)

So, should I start or should you start Tasker? What does it mean to be "bad faith" and where does the term come from? What does it mean? How are the many examples you've cited on PPP of "bad faith" examples, per the definition?

I look forward to an interesting discussion about language and perception and rhetoric :)

Tasker, the floor is yours. Based on this big ***** clue, maybe you'll get a more accurate guess on some of my influences and favorite writers :)

Edited by GregPersons

1 minute ago, LeviF91 said:

Every picture of Sartre I see just reinforces the notion that physiognomy is real.  I reject the ideas of ugly people as a rule.  

I think I agree and know what you're saying but can you explain? I think what you're saying is, beauty/ugly is relative/fiction and Sartre in his own way is handsome? In which case I would agree. Bodies are bodies, all manner of strangeness should be accepted and laughed off. But correct me if I am misunderstanding you. I just am unfamiliar with physiognomy used in that way.

27 minutes ago, GregPersons said:

I think I agree and know what you're saying but can you explain? I think what you're saying is, beauty/ugly is relative/fiction and Sartre in his own way is handsome? In which case I would agree. Bodies are bodies, all manner of strangeness should be accepted and laughed off. But correct me if I am misunderstanding you. I just am unfamiliar with physiognomy used in that way.

No, I mean that I reject the ideas that ugly people come up with out of hand.

Edit to say: beauty is in no way relative.  It is encoded into the universe.  There is math and physics to account for it.  Saying that beauty is relative or fictional is a gnostic cope.

Edited by LeviF91
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1