Who Has Confidence in Josh Reed This Year?

For the first two years of his career people were criticising Eric Moulds as being a bust.  Then he had a breakout third year as a pro.  A lot of people have a theory about receivers in their third year being their breakout year.  Maybe Reed just missed it by a year.  I'd like to think that he can get it done.

309310[/snapback]

He's already had his third year. This is his fourth. Moulds didnt have a lot of stats because Marv had a ridiculous theory of not playing young guys even if they were better than the guys ahead of them, which Moulds was. One of the first things Wade Phillips did IIRC is to promote Moulds and he was immediately a stud, and likely would have been a year earlier had Marv played him as he should have. I would like to think Josh could do it, too, and he may, but having a pretty good start followed by two straight poor full seasons is strange to say the least. Maybe he and Losman will quickly develop something. But I would be surprised I guess if both Aiken and Reed are on the opening day roster come September. I think we have a draft pick or FA as #4 with Freddie Smith #5 and either Reed or Aiken at #3.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, Reed deserves his chance to make amends this year for the relatively underwhelming performance of last year.

Some could argue that Bledsoe simply sucked so bad that Reed was trying to catch terribly thrown balls, though I've seen him drop more than he should have and ultimately found myself amazed every time the ball was thrown at him. It was that same queezy feeling I would get everytime we'd attempt a field goal.

Will a change in quarterbacks help Reed? Will the emergence of Evans as a speedster finally give Reed the time he needs to go underneath.

I'm willing to see what he can do this year as the starter in the #3 slot.

What say you all?

309188[/snapback]

It's time to cut our losses and move on. He clearly has bad hands. It was a mistake. Reed didn't want to be here; otherwise, he would'dve worked hard to imprve and remain a Buffalo Bill.

It's time to give the next guy a chance. WR don't take 5 years to develop in this league.

He's already had his third year. This is his fourth. Moulds didnt have a lot of stats because Marv had a ridiculous theory of not playing young guys even if they were better than the guys ahead of them, which Moulds was. One of the first things Wade Phillips did IIRC is to promote Moulds and he was immediately a stud, and likely would have been a year earlier had Marv played him as he should have. I would like to think Josh could do it, too, and he may, but having a pretty good start followed by two straight poor full seasons is strange to say the least. Maybe he and Losman will quickly develop something. But I would be surprised I guess if both Aiken and Reed are on the opening day roster come September. I think we have a draft pick or FA as #4 with Freddie Smith #5 and either Reed or Aiken at #3.

309314[/snapback]

He has had a third year. I look to the whole Chuck Knoblah thingy for throwing to first base. There is something in his head that is holding him back from having anther year like his rookie season. Was it the fleaflicker drop agianst NE in 2003? Or could it be the media in Buffalo coming down to hard on him?

Obviously Josh has been a big disappointment. He had no chemistry with DB and the droped balls on big plays does not endear a reciver to a QB. Hopefully with the change in QB he will be rejuvenated but I am not holding my breath. Actually I would like to see more of Aiken. He was a solid receiver for the Tarheels and I think he will surprise some people given the chance.

Josh Reed = Tom Donahoe's biggest draft bust.

309264[/snapback]

I'm amused people forget that before coming to Buffalo TD did have his job in Pittsburgh. If anyone should be called his biggest bust it would be WR Troy Edwards, who he took 13th overall in 1999. Infact Reed and Edwards are very comparable but Reed's put up better numbers then Edwards did through 3 seasons.

Is Josh working out at the Ralph now??? I could ALWAYS tell when he drove by my house on the way to practice. BOOM BOOM . Now I don't hear no boom boom. So either he is not in town, or has blown his boom boom, or perhaps he has had a change of lifestyle, er grew up?

Bills should trade Josh Reed with Travis Henry to get more in return

309867[/snapback]

So Far we haven't been able to trade travis henry a proven 1300 double digit td back in this league and now we'd get more if we trade him with Josh Reed? Does this make logic?

BTW I have zero faith in Josh Reed. I gave him the 3 years. I'm not gonna "blame bledsoe" as seems the popular thing to do, when in reality bledsoe improved the receiver stock of peerless price, he brought moulds back to respectability, helped bobby shaw. he gave josh reed a good rookie year as a #3 and when reed was bumped up to #2 Reed just seemed to flounder. Whether it was moulds getting hurt or what reed sucked. Last year he sucked even worse even with the emergence of lee evans and willis mcgahee to "open things up" and you can even go as far as to say Josh Reeds Penalty in the pitt/bills game might have cost us our shot at playoffs.

Josh Had his chances it's time to give someone else a shot. Whether it's Sam Aiken, Fast Freddy or a draft pick Reed is yesterdays trash that unfortunatly hasn't been taken out to the dumps yet.

His first season was no fluke.  I think DB and the changing of the offense had alot to do with JR sucking ass last year.  He should bounce back this year, at least I hope so.

309210[/snapback]

It wasn't just last year, it was the last 2 full seasons. Actually it was more than that. How many good games did he have in his supposedly great rookie year other than the Minnesota game in Week 2? I think that game (along with the Redskins game in '03) was the fluke, not the other 40+ games.

For the first two years of his career people were criticising Eric Moulds as being a bust.

I'm tired of this analogy. Moulds didn't get a chance to play in his first 2 years.

I'm tired of this analogy.  Moulds didn't get a chance to play in his first 2 years.

310218[/snapback]

I'm just saying that just because the fans give up on a player doesn't mean that they're done. I don't know if Josh Reed is done, it looks like he might never turn it around, but a lot of people thought the same thing about Moulds and Price. Sometimes it just takes the right place at the right time.

I'm just saying that just because the fans give up on a player doesn't mean that they're done.  I don't know if Josh Reed is done, it looks like he might never turn it around, but a lot of people thought the same thing about Moulds and Price.  Sometimes it just takes the right place at the right time.

310230[/snapback]

In Price's case, the right time = contract year :devil:

In Price's case, the right time = contract year    :devil:

310241[/snapback]

Price started out pretty good as a rookie and got better and better all four years he was on the Bills. In fact, even though his numbers weren't as good, he was almost as productive and almost as good as Moulds was in 2001 when AVP was quarterbacking (Mostly because Moulds was dropping passes all over the field and Peerless was just short-arming a few). Not that Peerless is nearly as good a player as Moulds, he's not even close, but Peerless was producing better and better and his career arc is almost the complete opposite of Josh Reed. Not a good comparison in my book.