Anyone baking during this COVID-19 confinement period?

2 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

No.  Unseasonably cool here in Southern Ontario / Western New York lately.  ?

Guy who ran the corporate kitchen where I used to work said to run the dishwasher on rinse, wait for the water to settle, and then put the dough in there to proof.  Never did it so I can't vouch for it.

6 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I'm baked, yes. Thanks for asking!

Wait, just re-read things.............whoopsie.

Baking is all about the details, which is difficult when you are baking. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I do not guarantee that if you follow my instructions, they will not result in a "sea monkey" infestation in the Ridgeway kitchen.

I thought sea monkeys were made of yeast.  I am so confused.

If you guys are baking, you should stop NOW! You are stealing bread from Caren and her children!

https://www.wonkette.com/no-one-can-bake-bread-anymore-because-this-lady-needs-all-the-yeast-for-herself

(Unfortunately Caren's original rants are no longer available on Medium.)

And a little humorous discussion on the Straight Dope forum:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=895454

For the record, I'm only baking medical marijuana treats (cookies/brownies/muffins/etc) but I simply modify a mix. Cook homemade. Bake semi-homemade.

Edited by The Dean

I have a Restaurant Depot card so I got a 50 lb sack of bread flour. I use the no-knead method that only uses ¼ to ½ tsp of yeast at a time. So one packet lasts a long time. I bake a boule every other day.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, The Dean said:

If you guys are baking, you should stop NOW! You are stealing bread from Caren and her children!

https://www.wonkette.com/no-one-can-bake-bread-anymore-because-this-lady-needs-all-the-yeast-for-herself

(Unfortunately Caren's original rants are no longer available on Medium.)

And a little humorous discussion on the Straight Dope forum:

https://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?threadid=895454

another Straightdope fan!  Did you read the one about the salmon-fishing Seal and his story about the shark fishing trip in the IBS and refusing to be rescued by the Coasties?

I thank you for that, I laughed until I spluttered - especially when Caren turned out to be a toilet paper and meat hoarder LOL!

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

another Straightdope fan!  Did you read the one about the salmon-fishing Seal and his story about the shark fishing trip in the IBS and refusing to be rescued by the Coasties?

I thank you for that, I laughed until I spluttered - especially when Caren turned out to be a toilet paper and meat hoarder LOL!

Been a straightdope fan for many years---when it was still just a print thing. So sad when Cecil retired.

What I found particular interesting is the people on the SD forum seem as upset as Caren for the way she spells her name as much as anything else. I can relate to that.

• Haha (+1) 2

While under lock down, we have been making bread and I made cookie bars a few times.

When this first started we were under self-quarantine so could not go out to shop (having returned from Spain) and we couldn't get yeast on any of the grocery delivery orders (four different grocery store chains were tried). Finally, my brother stopped at a Tops and grabbed us a jar and left it in our foyer. I have no idea why we couldn't get it via the online ordering system (it would come up as in-stock, yet we never received it).  When we were finally let out into the wild and did our own grocery shopping, I just looked in the dairy aisle at Tops and it was full. ?‍♀️ It's a mystery. 

Hubby is usually good for eating ¾ of whatever sweets I bake over a 3-4 day period. I made cookie bars for the first few weeks we were under lock down for him. The last pan he did not hold up his end of the "eat ¾ of the pan" bargain  :censored:  so I have not made anything since.  He's been buying ice cream instead. 

Edited by Buffalo_Gal

22 hours ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

While under lock down, we have been making bread and I made cookie bars a few times.

When this first started we were under self-quarantine so could not go out to shop (having returned from Spain) and we couldn't get yeast on any of the grocery delivery orders (four different grocery store chains were tried). Finally, my brother stopped at a Tops and grabbed us a jar and left it in our foyer. I have no idea why we couldn't get it via the online ordering system (it would come up as in-stock, yet we never received it).  When we were finally let out into the wild and did our own grocery shopping, I just looked in the dairy aisle at Tops and it was full. ?‍♀️ It's a mystery. 

Hubby is usually good for eating ¾ of whatever sweets I bake over a 3-4 day period. I made cookie bars for the first few weeks we were under lock down for him. The last pan he did not hold up his end of the "eat ¾ of the pan" bargain  :censored:  so I have not made anything since.  He's been buying ice cream instead.

I have had similar results with grocery delivery - not with yeast but with 3 other items.  Neighbor added them to her Instacart order 2x and we tried Shipt (different store).

Two weeks later neighbor shopped in-person at one of the same stores and there the items were. 

I can't blame the shoppers too much, they are trying to make a living that depends upon how fast and accurate they are, but I think the items were there all along and the shopper just wasn't looking in the right place.  For some special no-salt-added soup we wanted for my mom, I put a big note for each flavor "this soup is usually in a special low-sodium section of the store, not with the rest of the canned soup".  The shopper found the soups so yea! but one can was dented at the base ?‍♂️