The Bills 2020 Draft in Perspective

Shaw66

44 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I'd suggest listening to McBeane.  They have been pretty good at doing what they say.  They say they are building for sustained long term success.  

Their intention is to be the Pats, not the Falcons, Packers, Chatgers or Saints.  

That is how I see their intent as well. 

I get what everyone is saying but I disagree in that I was really impressed with the draft. Without a 1st I did a lot more Deeper research than usual and was impressed with the values Beane got, especially with Epenesa, fromme and hodgins

I see the biggest difference with this regime is that we select players in free agency and the draft not to make a splash or bring in the sexiest, flashiest players but to find culture fits and just good football players.  Epenesa's 5.1 40 or 3 cone drill aren't going to wow anyone but look at his college production and track record. He's just a good, solid football player.

I said this elsewhere, but I was totally underwhelmed by this draft.

Thing is, it doesn't mean it wasn't a good, solid draft - because I believe it will be shown to be.

Some of that is because we traded our 1st round pick, so the excitement level for that wasn't there. I have no problem at all with what they got for it though. A genuine #1 WR who will come in ready to go, at a sensible contract.

Looking at what Beane did, he pretty much dotted I's and crossed T's, without hardly breaking sweat.

The only picks that I thought might have gone differently, was Dobbins instead of Epenesa, and then a youthful DE in the 3rd. I probably would have got more excitement from the draft if we had gone that way.

Looking at relative values from nfl.com, i.e. their grades on players taken, it seems as though Beane was spot on, as usual, with his thinking.

There was a DE taken a spot or two after we took Moss, whose grade was lower than Moss, and Epenesa had a higher grade than Dobbins.

The 'sexy' way round, to me, would have been Dobbins then the DE. Thankfully, Beane doesn't do 'sexy', 'we're the Bills' after all. ;)

We've got one 'star' from our draft picks, in Diggs. We might not have another, but I can see 3 other guys quite possibly being long term contributors. Do that every year and nobody can be complaining, and you should be competitive regularly.

1 hour ago, Buddo said:

I said this elsewhere, but I was totally underwhelmed by this draft.

Thing is, it doesn't mean it wasn't a good, solid draft - because I believe it will be shown to be.

Some of that is because we traded our 1st round pick, so the excitement level for that wasn't there. I have no problem at all with what they got for it though. A genuine #1 WR who will come in ready to go, at a sensible contract.

Looking at what Beane did, he pretty much dotted I's and crossed T's, without hardly breaking sweat.

The only picks that I thought might have gone differently, was Dobbins instead of Epenesa, and then a youthful DE in the 3rd. I probably would have got more excitement from the draft if we had gone that way.

Looking at relative values from nfl.com, i.e. their grades on players taken, it seems as though Beane was spot on, as usual, with his thinking.

There was a DE taken a spot or two after we took Moss, whose grade was lower than Moss, and Epenesa had a higher grade than Dobbins.

The 'sexy' way round, to me, would have been Dobbins then the DE. Thankfully, Beane doesn't do 'sexy', 'we're the Bills' after all. ;)

We've got one 'star' from our draft picks, in Diggs. We might not have another, but I can see 3 other guys quite possibly being long term contributors. Do that every year and nobody can be complaining, and you should be competitive regularly.

Your last sentence is what I think McBeane envision.    Be alert to opportunities to draft or sign a star here or there, have a solid team with no glaring holes, then just stick to you knitting in the draft, and you'll have a good team year after year.  

• Like (+1) 1

Well, yes, the draft wasn't as captivating this year, we didn't have our first round pick.  If the move for Diggs had been delayed to draft day this place would be going crazy!  And rightfully so.  It would be viewed as the best draft day in years.  WR1, good Edge addition, RB1b.  Wow.

So, IMO, the offseason has been tremendous.  Especially viewed in that the Bills were pretty good last season.  It's just that the biggest addition happened a month ago and is kind of old news now.

This draft was about the future.  Moss and AJ will contribute in 2020 but the depth being built shows forward thinking on filling future, not current gaps.  The team has not been in this position since the Super Bowl years.  What a difference from 3 years ago.