Devin Singletary YPA vs 8Man box

5 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Well, that line must’ve been pretty solid, because Singletary ranked 7th in the NFL in yards-before-contact-per-carry with 2.7.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/rushing_advanced.htm

Either that, or that’s another positive effect from him seeing very few 8-man boxes (#pernextgenbutnotgobills808)

From what I saw we ran him a decent amount in 12 personnel...is it really that surprising he might have seen 8 man boxes more than eight times the whole season?

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

From what I saw we ran him a decent amount in 12 personnel...is it really that surprising he might have seen 8 man boxes more than eight times the whole season?

He did.  It was 11 times. ;)

Okay I think it’s time for me to make a closing statement on this and let the rest of you have your say...

Devin is good. I am glad he’s on this team.

There is a combination of statistics such as number of carries vs 8-man boxes, yards per carry before contact, and average time behind the LOS that lead me to believe that—for whatever reason it may be—he was afforded a disproportionately high amount of room to run relative to his peers in 2019, which is a contributing factor to his very high YPC number.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, thebandit27 said:

Okay I think it’s time for me to make a closing statement on this and let the rest of you have your say...

Devin is good. I am glad he’s on this team.

There is a combination of statistics such as number of carries vs 8-man boxes, yards per carry before contact, and average time behind the LOS that lead me to believe that—for whatever reason it may be—he was afforded a disproportionately high amount of room to run relative to his peers in 2019, which is a contributing factor to his very high YPC number.

I will just ask again- what about a high average amount of time behind the LOS leads you to believe his YPC is inflated?

Looking at next gen stats the average for 8+ man boxes is around 20%

Tevin Coleman led the league with 8+ man box 40%

Some RBs see a heavy dose of 8+ man boxes and some don't. It all depends on the personnel your offense is trotting out

Edited by Buffalo716

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I will just ask again- what about a high average amount of time behind the LOS leads you to believe his YPC is inflated?

High time behind LOS, coupled with a low “efficiency number” (which indicates a more north-south runner) and a very high YPC before contact (indicating that defenders don’t get to him early on in the carry) would be pretty strong indicators.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

High time behind LOS, coupled with a low “efficiency number” (which indicates a more north-south runner) and a very high YPC before contact (indicating that defenders don’t get to him early on in the carry) would be pretty strong indicators.

But Singletary is pretty clearly anything but a north-south runner...what I see is him spending more time in the backfield avoiding unblocked defenders to make that time behind LOS higher. He's not doing the Leveon Bell wait behind a great oline and pick your hole (sorry), he's working in the backfield.

16 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

But Singletary is pretty clearly anything but a north-south runner...what I see is him spending more time in the backfield avoiding unblocked defenders to make that time behind LOS higher. He's not doing the Leveon Bell wait behind a great oline and pick your hole (sorry), he's working in the backfield.

His style is not only effective, it’s just plain fun to watch! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

So basically you’re saying that every single statistic from NextGen is invalid. 

8+ in the box percentage? Nah, that’s wrong.

Lower efficiency number means more of a north-south runner? Nah, that’s wrong too.

High average time behind the LOS and high yards before contact per carry? Gotta be wrong.

I mean, this discussion has basically been me saying “here are the numbers” and you responding with “***** the numbers, my eyes tell me otherwise”. It’s not going anywhere so I’m out man.

Catch ya on the flip.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

So basically you’re saying that every single statistic from NextGen is invalid. 

8+ in the box percentage? Nah, that’s wrong.

Lower efficiency number means more of a north-south runner? Nah, that’s wrong too.

High average time behind the LOS and high yards before contact per carry? Gotta be wrong.

I mean, this discussion has basically been me saying “here are the numbers” and you responding with “***** the numbers, my eyes tell me otherwise”. It’s not going anywhere so I’m out man.

Catch ya on the flip.

You definitely don't have to continue this discussion. Hope you will but if not...no worries.

You gave me statistics, and I took some time to go through a bit of film on Singletary. I thought it would make for a better discussion and it's not really my intention to make anyone upset. I'm just looking at the stats you provided and trying to dig a bit deeper. 

Singletary is not a north-south runner. I don't know why that statement is controversial with you. And my explanation for high average time behind the line of scrimmage was that RBs needing more time to reach the LOS does not correlate with an inflated YPA...it means he's having to do MORE work before he hits the LOS, not less. 

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

You definitely don't have to continue this discussion. Hope you will but if not...no worries.

You gave me statistics, and I took some time to go through a bit of film on Singletary. I thought it would make for a better discussion and it's not really my intention to make anyone upset. I'm just looking at the stats you provided and trying to dig a bit deeper. 

Singletary is not a north-south runner. I don't know why that statement is controversial with you. And my explanation for high average time behind the line of scrimmage was that RBs needing more time to reach the LOS does not correlate with an inflated YPA...it means he's having to do MORE work before he hits the LOS, not less. 

No worries; I’m not upset, just believe that we’re not getting anywhere and I have too much respect for you to keep on browbeating with my take.

• Thank you (+1) 1